• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

afterglow

Reaction score
The #8 Chukkas are singing to me. Will probably get that and the LHS in #8 as well. Yes will definitely try out the different lasts before buying.

Is the #8 Chukka with commando sole standard issue or only certain stores carry them?

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by afterglow
The #8 Chukkas are singing to me. Will probably get that and the LHS in #8 as well. Yes will definitely try out the different lasts before buying.

Is the #8 Chukka with commando sole standard issue or only certain stores carry them?

This is purely personal. That being stated, start out with something besides the chukka. The chukka was my biggest disappointment with respect to fit. I am very happy with my plaza and Barrie wing tip boots and shoes. Again, this is personal opinion only. I wish I had the luxury of a shoe store where I
Could try the different shoes on.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
Doesn't get much better than this.

Courtesy of Leffot...

dsc0026d.jpg

This is why I buy shoes from Leather Soul and Leffot (and why I need to stop buying shoes from clothing stores that also sell shoes). Tom and Steven sell shoes but more importantly they know shoes - they know the lasts, the features like reverse welting, they understand what combinations will look good together.

These boots are, on first blush, the same as the ones that Context had a few weeks back. Closer examination suggests that the Context boot was assembled based on "standard" features but the Leffot boot was IMHO more thoughtfully put together. As a result, it just looks better. Little things like edge treatment make a huge difference.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah i don't even like commando soles but i am considering ordering those; would LOVE to see a NST shoe with the natural edge treatment and #8 color. Might just have to settle for the cigar from shoe mart Edit: the bureau has some sweet #8 longwings with the natural sole, they look great: http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop...-wing-blucher/

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
This is why I buy shoes from Leather Soul and Leffot (and why I need to stop buying shoes from clothing stores that also sell shoes). Tom and Steven sell shoes but more importantly they know shoes - they know the lasts, the features like reverse welting, they understand what combinations will look good together.

These boots are, on first blush, the same as the ones that Context had a few weeks back. Closer examination suggests that the Context boot was assembled based on "standard" features but the Leffot boot was IMHO more thoughtfully put together. As a result, it just looks better. Little things like edge treatment make a huge difference.

You are 100% correct! When I saw the Context boot, I said "wow, nice boot", and then moved on. When I saw the Leffot version I said "wow, amazing boot. . .I MUST HAVE IT". There is just a lot more "going on" with the Leffot boot, and it makes for a much more interesting addition to my wardrobe. It also feels like each part of the boot (sole, edging, welt, last, style, etc.) is in harmony, and not just relying on the fact that it is shell to justify its price.

This is also true with the creations coming from Tom at LS. Both stores keep impressing me with their offerings!

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by afterglow
Not a bad starting point. The chukka is a very versatile shoe, and if you're going to own just one pair of Alden's #8 cordovan is a classic and the most versatile of brown chromexcel and cigar. Regarding the sole, it depends on the climate where you live. If it's relatively dry, double oak leather soles are the obvious choice. If it's pretty soggy, consider the waterloc oiled soles or even the commando sole (would love to see a #8 chukka on the waterloc sole with antique edgetrim) There's a reason why the chukka is Leather Soul's top selling shoe.

Regarding the fit, I've yet to own a pair of chukka's but I can understand how the minimal lacing can affect the fit. However, from my experience with sizing on Alden's, a properly fitting shoe conforms to your foot like a glove. The lacing is just to keep your foot in place, as opposed to forming the shoe around your foot; if you need to crank down on the laces to shape the shoe to your foot, you're either in the wrong size or the wrong last.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
Not a bad starting point. The chukka is a very versatile shoe, and if you're going to own just one pair of Alden's #8 cordovan is a classic and the most versatile of brown chromexcel and cigar. Regarding the sole, it depends on the climate where you live. If it's relatively dry, double oak leather soles are the obvious choice. If it's pretty soggy, consider the waterloc oiled soles or even the commando sole (would love to see a #8 chukka on the waterloc sole with antique edgetrim) There's a reason why the chukka is Leather Soul's top selling shoe.

Regarding the fit, I've yet to own a pair of chukka's but I can understand how the minimal lacing can affect the fit. However, from my experience with sizing on Alden's, a properly fitting shoe conforms to your foot like a glove. The lacing is just to keep your foot in place, as opposed to forming the shoe around your foot; if you need to crank down on the laces to shape the shoe to your foot, you're either in the wrong size or the wrong last.

My experience with my alden chukkas was that I was nearly certain I was wearing the right size, but because of the lacing I felt not nearly as secure as I do in other shoes. They just felt loose around the ankles. This was a problem for me because for my shell boots I was seeking that bulletproof **** kicking feel. So I sold them to help finance a lace up boot.

But obviously plenty of people love chukkas so ymmv

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albatross
I should have posted this in here instead of the J. Crew thread. But I'm a little worried the Indy's I purchased (and have been wearing) are a little too big. I'm always an 11.5, so I ordered the 11. My toe is under the stitching and I can slide my foot back and forth a little, is that normal, or did I mess up? It's not really that bad, I guess I just want them to fit tight because I hate shoes that slide on my feet at all.

if your sliding its too big

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
Doesn't get much better than this.

Courtesy of Leffot...

dsc0026d.jpg

i agree these are much better looking than contexts ... but i do like the pull tab on theirs!

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Leffot tankers are really nice. I have the Context version and love them, but I do wish they had that color of sole trim. However I also much prefer the reverse welt that the Context version has and feels it goes better with the commando sole. The welt used on the above version looks too dressy for me, at least with this style sole. I think the perfect version would be the Context ones in this color of sole trim.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I look at the Leffot Tankers, the more I want them.

I am in the market for a pair of #8 boots and these just might fit the bill. It is between these or a wingtip or captoe boot? Thoughts on versatility which style would be more versatile for dresing up or down?

Also speaking about #8 in general.....what color belt pairs up nicely? What colors of clothing pair up nicely?

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Those Leffot tankers are really nice. I have the Context version and love them, but I do wish they had that color of sole trim. However I also much prefer the reverse welt that the Context version has and feels it goes better with the commando sole. The welt used on the above version looks too dressy for me, at least with this style sole. I think the perfect version would be the Context ones in this color of sole trim.

I'm thinking no matter how you slice it you've still got the best shoes in Waterloo WI!
laugh.gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
The more I look at the Leffot Tankers, the more I want them. I am in the market for a pair of #8 boots and these just might fit the bill. It is between these or a wingtip or captoe boot? Thoughts on versatility which style would be more versatile for dresing up or down? Also speaking about #8 in general.....what color belt pairs up nicely? What colors of clothing pair up nicely?
I think *traditionally* a captoe was considered more formal than a wingtip. but if you ask 10 randoms on the street, I think more people now think wingtips are more formal. glad I could help!
wink.gif
really, I don't think you need to worry about it unless you are wearing a suit, and then probably the captoes are a better choice, but really it just comes down to personal preference I think. whatever you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 57 39.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics