• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Quiet Mar-Bear. The man contributes beautiful pictures of women's bodies while you, on the other hand, do not. Thus, he is a more valuable asset to the forum than you are.

my poasts are worth less than infrequent photos of fat girls??

frown.gif
!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Plus a bajillion. Heavily-moderated forums stagnate and die. Period. Forums like this sometimes have to put up with a lot of stupidity and bullshit. But it's worth it. And if you don't like that you can go live in North ******* Korea, ya goddamn commie.
Originally Posted by dah328
People keep saying this as if it were a self-evident truth. It's not. There are plenty of very active, strictly-moderated forums. I have noticed that they tend not to have DT forums.
Originally Posted by foodguy
ms is one of those people who have to be getting under someone's skin because the reaction proves that attention is being paid, they're not just the anonymous losers they seem in RL. Mike is one of those guys who some days doesn't seem to have much skin to get under (to paraphrase a joke about journalists: they don't have thin skins, they have no skins). I'm sincerely hoping Mike cools off and comes back and is able to have a little more perspective. MS, i don't really care whether he does or not. As for the tight moderation argument ... i've been on forums with tight, intrusive moderation and they end up imploding. with strong moderation, there'd be nothing for us to talk about but lapels and pleats.
As with many things, yes and no. There is a fine balance to be struck between being killjoys and letting animals run the zoo. Some forums are *very* tightly regulated (see the fashionspot.com) and registration is even closed, and they seem to do well. On the other hand, other forums die. There is not a one size fit all model of moderation. With that said, I consider Manton to be a valuable contributor. Metro, let's just say he brings energy, but he needs occasional timeouts. And yes, families are strictly off limits.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Sorry, should have done a search first.

yes, under "fuzzy wool."

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
As with many things, yes and no. There is a fine balance to be struck between being killjoys and letting animals run the zoo.

Then let vegetables run the zoo, like they do on other sites.

Coburn

Reaction score
I've really enjoyed today's posts. When do I get to ban someone?

Coburn

Reaction score
Ban him! ^^^

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
As with many things, yes and no. There is a fine balance to be struck between being killjoys and letting animals run the zoo. Some forums are *very* tightly regulated (see the fashionspot.com) and registration is even closed, and they seem to do well. On the other hand, other forums die. There is not a one size fit all model of moderation. With that said, I consider Manton to be a valuable contributor. Metro, let's just say he brings energy, but he needs occasional timeouts. And yes, families are strictly off limits.
I find the level of moderation on this board, as it currently exists and has existed, to be more than adequate. What happened with MS and Manton was not a failure of moderation whatsoever; it was a failure of one person to recognize the line and refrain from crossing it. I fail to see how tighter moderation can thought-police people's behavior and prevent this sort of situation from occurring again. Rather, the only demonstrable effect it will have is to limit the range of conversation that is had on the boards. Some folks want a more limited board, and that's their preference. But this board has been relatively unlimited for quite some time, and barring the occasional but relatively rare meltdown, it gets on remarkably well. Comparisons to 4chan, even as regards DT, are laughably overstated. The folks on this thread who cry out for stricter moderation are highly misguided in both their assumptions and their conclusions. Let's not cut off our nose to spite our face.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I think that each member should start each day by Paypalling their favorite mod whose name starts with M a dollar. This would make the board a much better place.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I think that each member should start each day by Paypalling their favorite mod whose name starts with M a dollar. This would make the board a much better place.

Is the price of vegemite on the rise?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
manton will find out, like the rest of us, that the real world is not a nice place and he'll come back inside the safe confines of sf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads