• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care for either of them or this soap-opera garbage. But at least Manton usually has something interesting to say. The other guy just makes noise.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
This NYC street fight would be the most the stylish rumble since the Sharks and Jets got it on over a Leonard Bernstein number.
lol And don't forget this one from same: There's a place for us, Somewhere a place for us. Peace and quiet and open air Wait for us Somewhere. There's a time for us, Some day a time for us, Time together with time spare, Time to learn, time to care, Some day! Somewhere. We'll find a new way of living, We'll find a way of forgiving Somewhere . . . There's a place for us, A time and place for us. Hold my hand and we're halfway there. Hold my hand and I'll take you there Somehow, Some day, Somewhere!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand that there is a conversation to be had regarding so-and-so's relative value to the forum, but can't we just all agree that it's unacceptable to make nasty/inappropriate statements about posters' families? It doesn't seem that this would be particularly controversial. In fact, I think all reasonable people would agree (no CE) that you don't drag a man's family into a dispute. Hell, even the Mafia knows that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Where be these enemies? Capulet! Montague!
See, what a scourge is laid upon your hate,
That heaven finds means to kill your joys with love!
And I, for winking at your discords too,
Have lost a brace of kinsmen. All are punish'd.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I understand that there is a conversation to be had regarding so-and-so's relative value to the forum, but can't we just all agree that it's unacceptable to make nasty/inappropriate statements about posters' families? It doesn't seem that this would be particularly controversial. In fact, I think all reasonable people would agree (no CE) that you don't drag a man's family into a dispute. Hell, even the Mafia knows that.

+1. Except West24's mom. She is always there for us (literally).

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton,

you obviously have a combative personality and enjoy arguing with people, but you don't fully understand the internet fighting business. You like to lash out at people and seem to follow some kind of personal code of honour, but are then surprised and offended when the other party doesn't follow the same code. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I know, you'll say if this is internet fighting, I'll quit the internet (or the SF version of the internet) then, but my conclusion would be to quit fighting instead. Did you have to call Metro out, telling him he's a no-good misogynistic pig (I'm paraphrasing here), not worthy of your daughter, one that you would be ashamed to call your son? How was that constructive? What exactly did you think this provocation would achieve?
I don't condone what Metro did (though, all I ever read was that he was going to marry your daughter), but it takes two to escalate a conflict, and the way I understand it, you are the one who started the personal attacks.

Oh, and to the "there have to be real-life consequences to things people post on the internet" faction:
Don't take yourself so seriously. If somebody in a panda costume came up to you irl and told you "you're an idiot", would you care? would you even register it? That's what this place is. It's people playing their respective roles. Some less so than others. Manton is pretty much himself, and profits to a certain degree from his non-persona. But he also profits from people's still not taking him irl-seriously, e.g., when he attacks them personally or calls them assholes. In real life, something like that could easily get you a libel suit. And let's not forget the considerable leniency by the mods he enjoys here. So when one profits from the liberty the SF-internet provides, one shouldn't complain all too much when on the receiving end. Of course, there are limits, and it's up to the mods to determine when lines have been crossed.
So much drama goes on here that doesn't need to happen. Somebody attacks you personally? ignore them, right then at the beginning. They keep harassing you (very unlikely)? Report them to the mods. End of story, no escalation, no real-life stalking. Don't feed the trolls and they will stay small and harmless.

Manton, I enjoy many of your posts, and respect your knowledge of sartorial matters. I believe you are a great asset to this forum, far greater so than Metro, but even he has his place... though, it's not nearly as elevated as he thinks. I would hate to see you leave. Please stick around, fight less, enjoy yourself more.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
This has always been the unwritten rule, and should have been obvious to someone like MS who has been on the forum for over four years, his "Manton opened the door" defense notwithstanding.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
This has always been the unwritten rule, and should have been obvious to someone like MS who has been on the forum for over four years, his "Manton opened the door" defense notwithstanding.

I've often said if it certain things have to be told to people, don't even bother. This is one of those times.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Although things like this can happen from time to time, what you call "lax" moderation here is one of the reasons the site is so good.
Plus a bajillion. Heavily-moderated forums stagnate and die. Period. Forums like this sometimes have to put up with a lot of stupidity and bullshit. But it's worth it. And if you don't like that you can go live in North ******* Korea, ya goddamn commie.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Plus a bajillion. Heavily-moderated forums stagnate and die. Period. Forums like this sometimes have to put up with a lot of stupidity and bullshit. But it's worth it. And if you don't like that you can go live in North ******* Korea, ya goddamn commie.
People keep saying this as if it were a self-evident truth. It's not. There are plenty of very active, strictly-moderated forums. I have noticed that they tend not to have DT forums.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
This NYC street fight would be the most the stylish rumble since the Sharks and Jets got it on over a Leonard Bernstein number.

You know, I think the most important reason why I concluded that I had to leave was that, for about 20 minutes, I actually intended to meet him last night. I really, really was going to do it. It took me a full 20 minutes to realize that I had gone insane.

That just can't be good. I've always been a little insane, but this was like, a lot insane.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That just can't be good. I've always been a little insane, but this was like, a lot insane.

It'll pass. Don't go.

PS: That's not a request.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You know, I think the most important reason why I concluded that I had to leave was that, for about 20 minutes, I actually intended to meet him last night. I really, really was going to do it. It took me a full 20 minutes to realize that I had gone insane.

Pffft, 20 minutes is nothing to be alarmed at. Some things should legitimately make you very upset and you seem to have recovered your equilibrium quickly.

While others have argued why it makes sense for you to stay, I'll appeal to your humanity and ask you to reflect on what the rest of us will have to put up with if when MS returns he's able to gloat about having chased you away.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
People keep saying this as if it were a self-evident truth. It's not. There are plenty of very active, strictly-moderated forums. I have noticed that they tend not to have DT forums.

Well, that may be true. I, admittedly, have not been on very many forums, so all I can say is that I've never seen any.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ms is one of those people who have to be getting under someone's skin because the reaction proves that attention is being paid, they're not just the anonymous losers they seem in RL. Mike is one of those guys who some days doesn't seem to have much skin to get under (to paraphrase a joke about journalists: they don't have thin skins, they have no skins). I'm sincerely hoping Mike cools off and comes back and is able to have a little more perspective. MS, i don't really care whether he does or not.
As for the tight moderation argument ... i've been on forums with tight, intrusive moderation and they end up imploding. with strong moderation, there'd be nothing for us to talk about but lapels and pleats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads