• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornblower (TV-series)

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered this and quite like it, so I thought to also recommend it to the members of this forum in case that they don't know it, yet. It is basically Pirates of the Carribean for adults (based on novels by C.S. Forester). The interplay and the language of the characters as well as the historical staffage is, IMO, very well conceived:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Another one in a similar vein but based on the Army instead of on the Navy seems to be Sharpe's Regiment although I have not watched it, yet.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty good. Takes itself more seriously than Sharpe's, which could be good or bad depending on your point of view. I miss the days when A&E was a mystery show rerun channel, then when it tried to reinvent itself with original programming in the style of AMC. Its current lineup, replete with reality shows about junkies and criminals, is deplorable.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i enjoyed the books alot when i was younger, and devoured anything to do with British naval history

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also liked this series, much better than the usual dreck of the time and miles better than the reality wasteland that A&E has turned into.

It's A&E, which is supposed to stand for Arts & Entertainment. Billy the Exterminator and the Gene Simmons show are neither artistic, nor entertaining.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Read all the books also, and I have the series and enjoy it quite a bit. In VHS, so that should tell you how long ago it was.
laugh.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own all of the DVD's from all of the seasons.

Terrific stuff. Love it.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
I own all of the DVD's from all of the seasons.

Terrific stuff. Love it.

I have watched the 8 episodes and they were very good, are you saying there are more? (Generally I prefer shorter series anyway, because in my limited experience the ones with many seasons tend to get bad due to lacking script-ideas paired with the economical urge to continue selling something that was (once) successful.)

razet93

Reaction score
I have watched few episodes.. it is very good series..

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Very good. Although the first four are much better than the last four.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads