• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
... the great philosophers before us were right in saying "sometimes, **** happens..."

Was it the Greek or French philosophers who came up with this line? Can't quite remember.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jasonfoote303

Your blog is really nice with lots of information that's new to me. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

jfurt

Reaction score
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but do any of you guys swap out your laces on your boots? I was lacing up my Indys today (with speedhooks) and one of my laces snapped apart. I can tell that the laces on my other shoe are wearing thin too at the hook points. Can anyone recommend a sturdy lace for these or am I over thinking something small.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jfurt
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but do any of you guys swap out your laces on your boots? I was lacing up my Indys today (with speedhooks) and one of my laces snapped apart. I can tell that the laces on my other shoe are wearing thin too at the hook points. Can anyone recommend a sturdy lace for these or am I over thinking something small.

Unfortunately, the laces shipped with Alden boots don't hold up that well. Equally unfortunate is that I like them. Finding the same thing, waxed, flat laces, in the same length can prove problematic. When I made a new purchase recently from a retailer, I asked for a few extra pair and they were sent out with new boots.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in from the UPS guy. The Unionmade Color 8 Cap Toe Boots. The guys at Unionmade took some heat earlier, but I have to say, these boots look great. As for the grant last, let me say this; I ordered some cigar shell cap toe boots from Alden D.C. on the grant last and really was not happy with them. The big difference between these and the Alden D.C. boots is the reverse welt. I think the reverse welt really gives these boots some added width and thus gives them more alternatives for being dressed up or down. Spencer was awesome over there as well. I think if you liked the JCrew cap toes then you will certainly like these, but thats just my humble opinion. If anyone knows how to post these better please do. Here is the best I could do so you can make your own judgements: Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us Uploaded with ImageShack.us Also, FWIW, I had planned on returning these when I heard they were on the Grant last, but I had a change of heart when I put them on. My fiance also gave her approval, which certainly helps, haha.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
Well, this is just crazy.

I bought 3 pairs of boots this week -_-.

1. Alden Indys
  2. Alden Indys (Jcrew version)
  3. Red Wing Beckman Moc Toe

Picked up my standard brown Indys from my pedorthic center here in Boston, got them for ~$360 out the door. This morning, I ordered the J.Crew model in the same size after a 25% discount, and it came out to around the same price. ......... had a great sale on Red Wing so I got the $300 boot for $210 shipped
smile.gif

I sized down a whole size on my 405's, my pedorthist fitted me to an 8.5; it was definitely a tad snug but after an hours wear it has already stretched out width wise just a tiny bit and made the boot way more comfortable. The steel shank makes a huge difference, definitely makes the boot ridiculously stiff on the bottom, reminds me of walking in my cycling shoes. Overall the fit of the boot is perfect, and actually serves its orthopedic purpose for me. Like Harrison Ford, I have fallen arches and the Thomas Heel is perfect for correcting my slight pronation.
laugh.gif

Where'd you get them in Boston? I work in Cambridge and interested... I picked up a pair of Kudos in Cambridge, not sure they fit the best.

Thanks - first time poster longtime lurker...

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
I ordered some cigar shell cap toe boots from Alden D.C. on the grant last and really was not happy with them. The big difference between these and the Alden D.C. boots is the reverse welt. I think the reverse welt really gives these boots some added width and thus gives them more alternatives for being dressed up or down.
The Union Made boots look like they have a regular welt. Not sure if I've ever seen a boot or a shoe on the Grant last with a reverse welt, as it's a "dressier" last. The reverse welt is more commonly seen on the Barrie and Trubalance lasts. I can't explain why the #8's would have fit differently from the Cigars though...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jfurt

no, I don't swap out, I don't know how. when my laces wear out I have to throw away my shoes. I have never seen anyone selling spare shoelaces nor can I figure out how to remove or replace them. fuack, help me someone

jfurt

Reaction score
Good talk pebblegrain. Sorry for figuring that a thread dedicated to $400+ shoes full of shoe geeks would be able to offer a suggestion on a more resilient shoelace to hold up with speed hooks.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Somebody posted some Ultimate Indy's with some hiking laces which were far more durable than the flat waxed laces. They were bright yellow at first, but he wore them pretty aggressively and they turned brown with wear. I thought they looked pretty rugged, but it depends on the aesthetic you're going for. Here's the link: http://mistercrew.com/blog/2010/03/2...-at-two-years/

Prescott

Reaction score
Which version of the 405s are those?
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Gratuitous shot of my 405s, which I am wearing at the moment.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhatAboutBob
Where'd you get them in Boston? I work in Cambridge and interested... I picked up a pair of Kudos in Cambridge, not sure they fit the best.

Thanks - first time poster longtime lurker...

I got *my* Indy's at North River Outfitter on Charles St. in Boston. They have a relatively small selection, but the Indy's were there and fit and so why not?
smile.gif

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prescott
Which version of the 405s are those?

These are the original stock 405s. They look a little dark because I give them a polish two or three times per year with a combo of black, brown and navy boot cream, then beat them to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads