• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Latka was hilarious. What was his alter ego? Vic Damone?

Beyond that I admit I never understood the Kauffman-is-a-genius cult.

+ a lot. Definitely, to me, a case of "emperor's new clothes" as far as the masses who have been convinced that he was a genius.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beyond that I admit I never understood the Kauffman-is-a-genius cult.

Nor I. At all.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Here's the thing. I go on DT maybe once a month at most. And I can still attest to the fact that he is one corny idiot. It's just awful. It's not just on DT. I feel like I'm watching a Dane Cook special. The only people that like Cook are girls and the gays so if someone really thinks this guy is a comedic genius (a la Andy Kauffman), that person may be subconsciously gay. There. Done. Check please.
Hang on a second - I didn't mean to say that Metro is a comedic genius, but rather that I see him as a performance artist, similar to Andy Kaufman. Someone who specializes in hijinks, throws stuff against the wall to see what sticks.
Latka was hilarious. What was his alter ego? Vic Damone? Beyond that I admit I never understood the Kauffman-is-a-genius cult.
Originally Posted by HORNS
+ a lot. Definitely, to me, a case of "emperor's new clothes" as far as the masses who have been convinced that he was a genius.
The reason I picked Kaufman was 1) because he was so polarizing, and also 2) to illustrate what I consider a shift in perception where he gained stature after his passing - while he was at times disliked while he was active. Interestingly enough, Kaufman was on SNL a number of times and some of the appearances were controversial enough to get him to submit his future to a popular vote: iirc it was a phone poll whether to keep or toss Andy.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quick Rambo Recap for anyone just tuning in: Manton - hates Metro Metro - loves Manton - in the same way that the family's creep uncle stares at your daughter for just a little too long. GDL - hates Metro IAmMatt - Is Grumpy, and hates Thomas (though I suspect he was talking about Fran. I mean, come on, who could hate Thomas?) Manton - loves Thomas (see, told you so!) Teacher - maintains discipline Homer J - Hates DT Hagannah - Hates DT, loves DT (only on Tuesday's I believe) Kwilk - universally loved foodguy - universal lover Everybody else - loves DT Andy Kauffman - misunderstood by the forum membership (except for Matt and Manton which is the most revealing tidbit to come out of this whole mess)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hang on a second - I didn't mean to say that Metro is a comedic genius, but rather that I see him as a performance artist, similar to Andy Kaufman. Someone who specializes in hijinks, throws stuff against the wall to see what sticks.
Wouldn't the apt SF comparison be an unfunny ernest?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
who could hate Thomas?

srsly

To clarify, I think Kauffman was funny (I remember the SNL appearances) but I always found it strange how crazily lauded he was all out of proportion to what seemed to me his true merit.

Did he really deserve that blow job bio pic?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Taxi was such a great show.
a buddy of mine was rev. gorky.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Did he really deserve that blow job bio pic?
No, it was a true disservice. He was too brilliant to be played by Jim Carrey.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Wouldn't the apt SF comparison be an unfunny ernest?

I could see that, except that Metro seems more willing to make us all uncomfortable with things that I don't think are intended for straight-up humor. Kind of like the Kaufman-Lawler feud of years back.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quick Rambo Recap for anyone just tuning in:

Manton - hates Metro
Metro - loves Manton's daughter and is hatching plans to wed her, only to reveal to Manton that he is indeed metrostyles on the day after the wedding. (I will treat her right, tho. If you know what I mean.)
GDL - hates Metro
IAmMatt - Is Grumpy, and hates Thomas (though I suspect he was talking about Fran. I mean, come on, who could hate Thomas?)
Manton - loves Thomas (see, told you so!)
Teacher - maintains discipline
Homer J - Hates DT
Hagannah - Hates DT, loves DT (only on Tuesday's I believe)
Kwilk - universally loved
foodguy - universal lover
Everybody else - loves DT
Andy Kauffman - misunderstood by the forum membership (except for Matt and Manton which is the most revealing tidbit to come out of this whole mess)

Fixed. Cue "how dare you"/"omg scum"/"filth of teh earth"/"internet is serious business leave my family out of this"/"how low can you stoop *shakes head and irritatedly fingers at double pleats*"/"lolz"

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick Rambo Recap for anyone just tuning in:

Manton - hates Metro
Metro - loves Manton - in the same way that the family's creep uncle stares at your daughter for just a little too long.
GDL - hates Metro
IAmMatt - Is Grumpy, and hates Thomas (though I suspect he was talking about Fran. I mean, come on, who could hate Thomas?)
Manton - loves Thomas (see, told you so!)
Teacher - maintains discipline
Homer J - Hates DT
Hagannah - Hates DT, loves DT (only on Tuesday's I believe)
Kwilk - universally loved
foodguy - universal lover
Everybody else - loves DT
Andy Kauffman - misunderstood by the forum membership (except for Matt and Manton which is the most revealing tidbit to come out of this whole mess)

sigged. makes me sound like "Smoove B."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Fixed. Cue "how dare you"/"omg scum"/"filth of teh earth"/"internet is serious business leave my family out of this"/"how low can you stoop *shakes head and irritatedly fingers at double pleats*"/"lolz"

OK, call this an ITG post, fine, whatever.

Metro, you are in Manhattan, right? So am I. I will name a place where we can meet and dare you say one word about my daughter to my face. You worthless ******* scumbag. Come on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads