• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full makeover for $500??

The Mitchelli

Reaction score
I am writing a blog post on budget makeovers for £300 (approx $500)

Clearly this post is not aimed at the sartorial excellence that will spark the imagination of most people here, but what do you think you could possibly get for $500?

Wallet? Cufflinks? belt? shoes? haircut? Shirt? Aftershave? etc. I can just about squeeze all of this into £300 and wondered if it would be possible for the same elsewhere.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
For $500, expect to get one shoe at retail, or two shoes on the resale market.

The Mitchelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
For $500, expect to get one shoe at retail, or two shoes on the resale market.

One shoe?
eh.gif
I will have to rethink the budget guide!

Coldcava

Reaction score
I'd imagine for that budget you could makeover your wardrobe by having pleats added to your existing pants.

ktrp

Reaction score
A casual outfit (trousers/sweater/shirt) that fit properly, some non-trainers, and a haircut. For the average male, this would make them look better then anything they can pull together at home.

For a suit, dress shoes and tie with tailoring ... very difficult. Might be possible in very low quality materials, but I don't know.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why are you writing a blog post on something that you clearly have no idea about?

Yika

Reaction score
Getting into shape.
Decent haircut.

The Mitchelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Why are you writing a blog post on something that you clearly have no idea about?

Please re-read my initial post. I can do it in the UK for £300 - but I don't know if it would translate to $'s.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Mitchelli
Please re-read my initial post. I can do it in the UK for £300 - but I don't know if it would translate to $'s.

I think it depends on how much quantitative easing there is in the U.S.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. Form a buying syndicate through the Internet with five other men, exactly your size, with equally contrained budgets.

2. Arrive as a team at a Jos. A. Banks Six-for-One! sale. High-five each outside, and enter the store with expressions of grim determination. Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, six at a time. Exit store, high-five each other again.

3. Return to your shared apartment or parental basement. Remove items from plastic bundles, distributing equal shares to each man. Wear the items, enjoying the fresh, plastic smell that only comes once. Spend unspent balance on McRibs, sharing the sandwich if necessary.

This is how they do it on AAAC.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

Why are you trying to write it for Americans then? Just stick to writing it for the Brits.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would be amazed at what $500 carefully spent can get you.

Mike

viator

Reaction score
Is this $500 for an entire wardrobe or just for one outfit?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am writing a blog post on budget makeovers for £300 (approx $500)

Clearly this post is not aimed at the sartorial excellence that will spark the imagination of most people here, but what do you think you could possibly get for $500?

Wallet? Cufflinks? belt? shoes? haircut? Shirt? Aftershave? etc. I can just about squeeze all of this into £300 and wondered if it would be possible for the same elsewhere.

Give us the UK items broken down by price and we'll give you the US equivalents. Some of these jackasses will learn something, even if it's only math
smile.gif

The Mitchelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Why are you trying to write it for Americans then? Just stick to writing it for the Brits.

I am writing with a British audience in mind. I am curious to see if my £300 makeover would stretch as far anywhere else..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads