• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barker Black fit?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they fit true to size? I'm a 9D in AE. Wondering if a 9D will work in BB?

xudisco07

Reaction score
Yes, I wear 8.5d in AE and a 8.5d in barker black

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xudisco07
Yes, I wear 8.5d in AE and a 8.5d in barker black

Careful, Barker Black's are measured in u.k. sizes. I can't really give you an American reference as I have never worn American shoes.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Careful, Barker Black's are measured in u.k. sizes. I can't really give you an American reference as I have never worn American shoes.

I have actually come across a few pairs marked in US sizes as well.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
I have actually come across a few pairs marked in US sizes as well.

They are probably fakes, or seconds.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While BB does sell shoes in the US, I would make sure I tried a pair before purchasing. I've tries 3 sizes and none of them fit perfectly.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are probably fakes, or seconds.

Wrong.

All BB shoes have UK and US sizes listed in the oval window like Edward Green. Boxes sometimes have US or both. Difference as described above is 1 size between UK -US.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Wrong.

All BB shoes have UK and US sizes listed in the oval window like Edward Green. Boxes sometimes have US or both. Difference as described above is 1 size between UK -US.

Definitely seconds. Definitely.

Some somemakers assert that their us size is only 1/2 up from the uk size.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it varies. i just received a pair of BBs sold by neiman marcus as a US 9 (I'm a US 9.5) and they are too big. For some reason I thought they would be a half size too large, but was obviously wrong. Just ordered an 8.5 replacement. The pair I received obviously lists UK size and does not also list US size.

this is exactly why I stick to retail when buying shoes, instead of b&s, ebay, etc. too much variability even when you think you know a maker's fit.

xudisco07

Reaction score
Definitely seconds. Definitely.

Some somemakers assert that their us size is only 1/2 up from the uk size.

Mine are not seconds and have the US and UK size listed in the window like sartort said. I will say that the Straton at least fits the same as AE for me.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xudisco07
Mine are not seconds and have the US and UK size listed in the window like sartort said. I will say that the Straton at least fits the same as AE for me.

Are you sure they are not AE seconds?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
patrick,

can't tell if you are joking or not. I know that some of my BBs have both US and UK sizes listed. I have a mix of firsts and seconds. I just checked a pair I happen to be wearing today and it has only the US listed. It is a "first" fwiw. Black box, bags, etc. Perhaps it depends on the market they are selling in.

I could see why UK dist. BBs only have the UK size. Anyways, it appears mine have either both or US only.

and rebel222 is right, depends on the last. The archdale last (the chisel sq. toe) fits me fine. The rounder toe harrington last doesn't quite fit the same or at least on my foot.

I will say in general BBs tend to run larger. For instance, I fit into a 8UK in BB in the archdale, 8.5UK in Lobb on the 8000, and 9UK in EG on the 888. YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads