• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Small Faces" was a 1996 movie. Does anyone have any stills/screencaps from it?

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
"Small Faces" was a 1996 movie. Does anyone have any stills/screencaps from it?

You can watch it on youtube completely starting from here:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loempiavreter
You can watch it on youtube completely starting from here:

Aye, Ah ken. Ah'm a'ready watchin' it the noo.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I hate to disagree with you Jason, but 16 Years of Alcohol didn't sit right with me. The gang are all in their 30s, for something that's supposed to play in the early 70s it breaks off it's credibility instant.
I dont think 16 Years is supposed to be set in the 70s, I always took it as being set "now"ish. The scene where they are in that disco club, isnt the song playing after Claudette & Corporation an 80s tune? If anything I would have placed the time to be maybe early 90s. But the movie is a bit vague as to when it takes place, that I can remember. But I appreciated that McKidd's crew were fans of reggae etc, and not portrayed as Oi! skinheads, which is the usual portrayal in films and tv. And the choice to have them wear crombies rather than MA-1s definitely shows some clued up knowledge on the part of the filmmaker. yea McKidd and his gang are older than the typical skinhead crew, but I guess that resonated with me, since those guys would be about my age, as if it were some kind of validation that me being into this **** at my age somehow excuses me from being admitted into the looney bin.
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BarrelMaker
have any of you owned a waxed harrington? i know fred perry and barracuda currently have them out. im thinking about having one of mine waxed when i get my hunting jacket redone.

Negative.

But I have done quite a lot of 'biking and used to wear waxed Belstaffs. I don't recommend waxed clothes for street wear as they never keep the "newly waxed" look. Also they have rather been tainted (here in the UK) with "yuppie" culture.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
have any of you owned a waxed harrington? i know fred perry and barracuda currently have them out. im thinking about having one of mine waxed when i get my hunting jacket redone.
I have the forest green fred perry waxed harrington. Probably the best deal I've ever found, I was in London a few years back during Xmas sales, was in Harrods and they had the jacket, one left my size no price tag. Gave it the fella at the register he couldnt find a price for it in the system, asked his supervisor who couldnt find a price either. Came back and said, how about 35 quid for it, SOLD! (retailed for 150 quid iirc) it's nice for when the weather is a bit too damp or cold for a normal harrington.

BarrelMaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Negative. But I have done quite a lot of 'biking and used to wear waxed Belstaffs. I don't recommend waxed clothes for street wear as they never keep the "newly waxed" look. Also they have rather been tainted (here in the UK) with "yuppie" culture.
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I have the forest green fred perry waxed harrington. Probably the best deal I've ever found, I was in London a few years back during Xmas sales, was in Harrods and they had the jacket, one left my size no price tag. Gave it the fella at the register he couldnt find a price for it in the system, asked his supervisor who couldnt find a price either. Came back and said, how about 35 quid for it, SOLD! (retailed for 150 quid iirc) it's nice for when the weather is a bit too damp or cold for a normal harrington.
i live in northern new england so it is always cold and usually damp. ive got a couple other harringtons so i dont really mind having this one just for rainy days. the one ill probably wax is from the ll bean signature line. it is definitely the heaviest harrington i have (compared to merc an barracuda) GS: is the Fred a lighter color in person? it looks really dark online which im sure is due in part to the waxing. olive drab/forrest green is probably my favorite color for jackets (ma-1, m51, n3b, hunting jackets, ect.) but ive never been able to get my hands on a green harrington.
w2ophz.jpg
i would kill a hobo for danny eccles harrington. well maybe not the one off his back but something similar.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ yea it's a pretty dark sage/olive/drab green, with brown corduroy collar, and the tartan lining comes all the way to the edge where it zips, unlike the normal FP harrington which doesnt do that.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you danny eccles?

No, no - I just used the pic to show what I was referring to. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Con Seanery

Reaction score
I hate to disagree with you Jason, but 16 Years of Alcohol didn't sit right with me. The gang are all in their 30s, for something that's supposed to play in the early 70s it breaks off it's credibility instant. At least from my knowledge there where no skinheads in their 30s in that day as it was a youth cult. The director was 11-12ish in the early 70s, it's not entirely impossible though, but still I would say it was largely his big brother's experience.
I always thought this flick took place in the late 70's (at least '79), -if so the director would have been roughly 16-17+ years old. I place the time at '79 or later due to a few things, but base it on the record shop & the disco. EX: The the song playing on the record shop turntable when the skins enter (song is "Calling the Tune" by The Skids, released '79), and the skins call it "rubish" (I had the feeling this may be "new rubish" as opposed to old). Also, all the albums and posters on the walls are generally from mid 70's or later (Bad Company & Rungren from '74 etc), then Frankies chick plays some Velvet Underground, he goes home & plays the same record on his 70's looking turntable, complete with Bruce Lee wall poster in the background.

The scene where they are in that disco club, isnt the song playing after Claudette & Corporation an 80s tune?
I think that song is "Love is the Drug" by Roxy Music released in '75. -This is another reason that I always thought the flick was placed around late 70's. Also, some of the clothing on the peeps in the disco looks 70's ish. One dude has huge flared turnups with a button-down (white/untucked) that looks kind of like the (god forgive me for this) 70's boot-boy look that I despise almost as much as bleachers.

yea McKidd and his gang are older than the typical skinhead crew, but I guess that resonated with me, since those guys would be about my age, as if it were some kind of validation that me being into this **** at my age somehow excuses me from being admitted into the looney bin.
smile.gif

I sort of had a weird feeling about thier age when I first saw this movie, but then I chalked it up to older actor playing younger character (giving it wiggle room like how American TV will have a 32 year old playing a 16 year old on a sitcom). With that interpretation, I took their ages from 19-23ish, I base that on the kids that get hazed by the skin in the disco bathroom looking about a correct 16-18? Anyhoo, I know Im sick in the head to still be into this stuff, but I dont care. Atleast you can grow old with the look as opposed to that dated 43 year old scruffy ass punkrock that you will see occassionaly
wink.gif

@ MoM: I sport white laces with 1461 oxbloods all the time. I dont attribute lace color to anything but personal style. With that stated, this is a pretty granular question, but, did people sport color laces in contrast to the footwear in the late 60's? Ive never seen this in any pics from that era (that I can recall), but Im basically talking about the whole white or red laces thing, -just wondering if this was a revival deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads