• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optometrist or Opthamologist?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a checkup with a contact lens prescription.

I'm more inclined to go with an MD only because of the degree, but the optometrists are prescribing contacts and glasses all day long so I feel like they may have more experience with the different brands. (i.e. they'll tell me to get Acuvue Oasys instead of Acuvue 2 or whatnot).

Thoughts?

East2West

Reaction score
Id only go to an opthamologist if I needed to havd a procedure done.
For Rx and glasses, an optometrist is fine.

Septavius

Reaction score
Optometrist. Depending on the state, optometrists can also diagnose and treat a wide array of diseases and conditions.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only go to Opthamologists now. Had an optometrist tell me I had colon cancer because I have brown spots or something in my eyes and everyone with colon cancer has that.

Freaked me out. Went to the doc, cleared of course. Then went to an Opthamologist and he just laughed. Said while it's true that people w/ colon cancer have those spots, so do 1/3 of the entire world's population heh.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the only thing that bothers me is that the opthamologist kept me with Acuvue 2's a couple years back and I don't know why. Do the MD's know the differences between all the contact brands? Mine is like 90 btw if that means anything.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know I wear glasses and the last time I went was 12 years ago

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what you mentioned go to an established optometrist. Some actually still retain their own practices and can be very knowledgeable. Not all are necessarily cut the same.

Opthamologist may be happy to take your money at a higher rate, but seems like an inefficient use of the healthcare system for a general checkup and lens prescription. An optometrist should be more versed in the current market for various contact types more likely than probably your 90 year old doc more than likely. Go to him if you may need surgery or have a reason to believe you have a disease issues relating to your eye. I'm sure he'll be extremely valuable then.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I only go to Opthamologists now. Had an optometrist tell me I had colon cancer because I have brown spots or something in my eyes and everyone with colon cancer has that.

Freaked me out. Went to the doc, cleared of course. Then went to an Opthamologist and he just laughed. Said while it's true that people w/ colon cancer have those spots, so do 1/3 of the entire world's population heh.

I've known an optometrist like that. With an aura of mystery, he'd always volunteer to tell a person's health/illnesses by just looking at his eyes and scare the sheet out of them, he was worthless in many other respects as well

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recommend Opthalmologists. The exams tend to be a bit more thorough, they have tons of experience spotting actual problems, might be more up-to-date on the latest medicines and procedures and are generally much more knowledgeable.

I had an eye problem that an Optometrist diagnosed as a vision problem and diagnosed me reading glasses even with my 20/15 vision. The Opthalmologist said that was bullshit and dry eyes were the culprit.

darnelled

Reaction score
My optometrist kept me on semi-permeable (painful) contacts for years because of astigmatism. I moved and saw an opthalmologist who immediatley switched me to disposable, soft contact- ahhhhh.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I need a checkup with a contact lens prescription.

I'm more inclined to go with an MD only because of the degree, but the optometrists are prescribing contacts and glasses all day long so I feel like they may have more experience with the different brands. (i.e. they'll tell me to get Acuvue Oasys instead of Acuvue 2 or whatnot).

Thoughts?

If you are having any problems with your current contacts, or eyes in general, go to an opthamologist. Otherwise, keep going to your optometrist. Realize you will come across bad optometrists and bad opthamologists, but only one has a scalpel.

And I asked an opthamologist this, and he said, "I could give someone the best 40 minute examine of their life, but for a checkup I don't see the point."

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually go to an optometrist once every two years, that's how often i get my script changed these days. But I will go and see an opthamologist once every four years. Most of the eye test's that you need done can be completed by an optometrist. The issue is finding one who judgement and skill you trust and sticking with them.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn

Thats funny. I have the same problem: brown spot or a "mole" you can call it in one of my eyes. For something like this you have to go to the ophthalmologist so I did. I could care less which of the two I pick anyways as I live in Canada and going to ophthalmologist is covered. So anyways ya he said its normal, it can happen and the only way to fix it would be surgery which he wouldnt advise. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the spot
frown.gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits
And I asked an opthamologist this, and he said, "I could give someone the best 40 minute examine of their life, but for a checkup I don't see the point."

What kind of examine?!
devil.gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opthamologist. My optometrist tested me for glaucoma and said number was high and got worried. He said don't worry but we'll keep "eye" on it and that was it. No follow up nothing. So I went to see the Opthamologist and did all these tests and everything came back normal Thank God.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads