• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephan R.

Reaction score
IMG_4526.jpg

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Case in point: I contacted several different retailers this week looking for a few items. Only two got back to me in a timely manner and one had something that fit, but I would have been compromising on it. Brooks Bros. "week of savings" deal of the day is 40% off shoes/leather goods/shoe accessories, etc. (excluding shell). Still, I managed to pick up 2 pairs of Alden calfskin shoes for $238.80 each, as well as two other pairs and shoe trees, with zero shipping fees. They had my size and good prices, so I happily dropped $1,200 this morning with BB.

Oh yeah, and I picked up a pair of reverse chamois Indy boots with crepe soles from J. Gilbert as well. Big day. We'll see how the BB ones work out fit-wise, but the Indys will be keepers for sure.

Mick - You bought the Alden calf skins at Brooks Brothers online? Just curious because I didn't see them online?

Also, went by the Alden DC store and spent some time talking to Joe. Very nice guy and full of knowledge. I'm going back on Monday afternoon to be fitted and hopefully find a nice holiday shoe. There was a gentleman in the store from Italy that bought 3 pair of shoes. Joe says that he does this every time he comes to town.

Do you guys think that I could wear a leather chukka boot like in the picture below with wool dress pants?

Chukka%20Boot.jpg

Aries83

Reaction score
Depends on the colour, but yes most dress pants would be fine with those.

triumphman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
need your opinions on which to pull the trigger on...

both are corodovan color 8 / barrie last / commando sole

cap toe (these are not well represented in this pic)
al-4060hcfs.jpg

indy
indy.jpg

I originally wanted the cap toe's as i prefer this styling, but the indy's look good too (moc toe styling is ok)

Just an update on this folks...was just about to purchase the captoes at unionmade, but they recently changed the last on these shoes to the grant last. I saw few people making comments about purchasing these, and thought you should know, as previously was described under the barrie last

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries83
Depends on the color, but yes most dress pants would be fine with those.
I was thinking that this is a very versatile boot and could be worn with dress pants, khakis or jeans. Alden DC has these in several colors, so I'm thinking of getting the dark brown or whiskey for spring. Alden DC will be special ordering the navy suede chukka boot for spring...I want one!!

Aries83

Reaction score
In terms of versatility, I'd definitely go with the chukkas pictured, they will go with each of the styles you've listed.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time poster, but I have been reading this thread for quite some time and wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting such great info and photos for us Alden neophytes.

Thought I would pass along some discount info. Jcrew is having a sale with 25% off and free shipping online using the code 'presents' and although its not supposed to work on Aldens, you just need to purchase something else in your cart (even just a pair of socks) and the discount will work. They only have the 405 Indys available online, but its a pretty good deal for a pair of Aldens that rarely go on sale. Just picked up a pair myself; looking forward to getting them soon. Enjoy!
smile.gif

John_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Mick - You bought the Alden calf skins at Brooks Brothers online? Just curious because I didn't see them online?

Also, went by the Alden DC store and spent some time talking to Joe. Very nice guy and full of knowledge. I'm going back on Monday afternoon to be fitted and hopefully find a nice holiday shoe. There was a gentleman in the store from Italy that bought 3 pair of shoes. Joe says that he does this every time he comes to town.

Do you guys think that I could wear a leather chukka boot like in the picture below with wool dress pants?

Chukka%20Boot.jpg

My first Aldens in 1999 wre black shell chukkas and they have been the best, most versatile shoe ever. I wear them with suits, khakis, jeans...great for travel because they slip on/off easily and do go with anything. Brown is probably slightly less versatile, and #8 may be even more versatile!

If not now, you can't go wrong with these at some point!

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
For those who don't follow the J.Crew thread, apparently today's 25 percent off code works for their version of the Indy 405.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Just an update on this folks...was just about to purchase the captoes at unionmade, but they recently changed the last on these shoes to the grant last. I saw few people making comments about purchasing these, and thought you should know, as previously was described under the barrie last

This is pretty frustrating.

Aries83

Reaction score
Beautiful Deltashell.

edit: That J.Crew code would be great, asides from the fact that J.Crew won't ship to Europe, but will ship to Japan?! What the hell.

deltashell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aries83
Beautiful Deltashell.

edit: That J.Crew code would be great, asides from the fact that J.Crew won't ship to Europe, but will ship to Japan?! What the hell.

Thanks! One of my favorites, I've probably worn them at least 10 times and the vamps are hardly creased. Is this typical for any other indy owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads