• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stowa: Anyone Dissapointed?

Dagobah

Reaction score
Considering purchasing a Stowa Marine Auto. Generally I've seen nothing but good reports on forums about the quality and customer service. My one concern though is that I can't see a Stowa in person until it arrives.

Currently I wear a Seiko diver. The quality between this and a friends Omega Speedmaster is quite obvious in person. In shots online, it's less apparent.

For those of you that have purchased Stowa's, or seen them in person, how'd they stack up? Are they as amazing of a deal as I've read?

Dagobah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
You are not a special flower. Do a search.

After lurking on and off for ~2 years with this in mind, I posted my question above. And yes, I've used the search as recently as last night. Still have not found any comparisons that answer my question. Not to say they're not out there (but maybe the search tool isn't that great).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i'm curious about this one too. I've been thinking about the Antea versus the Nomos and can't decide if it's worth double+

Imperator

Reaction score
I have the Marine Auto. and love it. The only thing that disappointed me was the stock band, which isn't that great. The watch looks much better on the saddle shell cordovan strap I replaced it with.

Dagobah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator
I have the Marine Auto. and love it. The only thing that disappointed me was the stock band, which isn't that great. The watch looks much better on the saddle shell cordovan strap I replaced it with.

In terms of quality and finish on the watch, what would you say it compares to?

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
watches are a very subjective category. much of the discussion relies on looks/appeal. if you like the watch, then you get it. stowa has a cult following here and elsewhere because of the value it provides. if you compare it to other watches using eta/unitas movements, it is well priced. I started off with a stowa, but then my attention turned to more expensive watches and sold it.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was disappointed at the delivery time frame... lack of proactive communication from the stowa team (contrary to internet consensus).... the fact that the marine original markers are printed (vs applied), and that the blued hands rarely reflect blue

that said, the build quality is nice, the thick leather strap i think is very good, the movement is solid, and it is satisfactorily accurate.

i have 5 other watches around the same price range... do i think the stowa mo is worth the price? absolutely. would buy again

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had most models in hand recently and was quite disappointed. They just didn't feel good. Only big exception was the Flieger Original, but it's rather small for a Flieger.

Dripp

Reaction score
Certainly can be subjective, but I own both the Flieger Original and Marine Original and believe they are quite beautiful. I think the marine auto is a bit smaller than the MO but disappointment is not something I hear about the product very often. I also have a Seiko orange monster and in my opinion the difference in beauty of execution/perceived quality is significant. I'd venture to guess that you'd be quite happy with your purchase.

raybert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
i'm curious about this one too. I've been thinking about the Antea versus the Nomos and can't decide if it's worth double+

I have 3 Stowas (Antea KS, Antea 365 and Flieger) and 3 Nomos (Tangente, Club and Tetra). You get a lot of watch for your money with Stowa - quality and service is fantastic. I got the stowa first because it was more accessible and easier to buy direct from stowa. One thing you will learn is patience but it is worth the waiting time. There are quite a few reviews and feedback on both brand of watches at the Watchuseek forums. I know this doesn't help but I would continuing buying from both.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Nomos has the more elegant design if you ask me. I've been contemplating the same choice in the past as well and as much as one wants to get good value for one's money I've always felt that in this case the less expensive model just doesn't quite deliver what the more expensive one does. But in all fairness: I haven't bought either of the two watches yet.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as your expectations are not too high, you won't be disappointed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads