• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ditto^^ used CF bikes sell cheap because they can't be trusted. CF is very durable, but like he said they're hard to spot cracks sometimes. The best way to look for them is around the joints and running a nail over the frame and see if it snags on anything. Once they crack it can be fixed. However, it's just to much of a headache to worry about someone doing a proper repair and wondering if it will ever crack again..

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. Can't believe I didn't notice this thread earlier!

I've been riding for 3 or 4 years, started racing last year. Raced some juniors and some 4s. Got ****** kicked but had a great time. Training right now for the collegiate season in the spring. I ride a tarmac pro. It's badass, but I got a killer deal on it (sram neutral support bike).

Here is an old pic. I've changed a lot of stuff since then, including that garish stem (it came on it). And all the stickers have been removed (also came on it).

img0302q0.jpg

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a bike, my first since I was a kid, and I'd love some recommendations from the bike experts here.

It would be used only in the city, for occasional commutes and weekend rides--I'm close to off-street paths. I'd like something new, readily available in stores, pretty classic looking, reliable, relatively light, and under, say, $800. I think I'd like at least a partial chain guard, for what it's worth. Any ideas? I saw the Gary Fisher Simple City and that looked nice, but I have no idea how it rates. Also, best bike store in Manhattan for someone like me who hasn't ridden in a while?

Shiny

Reaction score
Howard,
I would recommend you go to an xmart or target and pick up something like this to start:

51BbRE9CyVL.jpg

It would run you about $250 or so. Sounds like you are getting back into biking and getting something that costs as high as your budget could be problematic. I've seen many riders get dissuaded from riding a high dollar bike. Especially, when they don't know what to buy at the start.

Every mass market store would carry something like the bike above. After riding it a while you'll probably enjoy it so much and want to upgrade to a fancier commuting bike or get a racing bike or an MTB that has different purposes.

Also, in NYC you'd need a strong lock for the bike above and even that would not guarantee that it would be theft proof. I'd hate for you to lock up an $800 bike and have it stolen.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't wish a purchase of a target or xmart bike on anyone...

Maybe look at something from Linus with an internal gear hub?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shiny
Howard,
I would recommend you go to an xmart or target and pick up something like this to start:

Anything from xmart or target is going to be a complete POS and waste of money.

Gary Fisher brand is fine. They're just Treks.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand where Shiny is coming from.However, i also wouldn't recommend such a restrictive bike with no room to grow except throwing it away. I'd suggest something from bikesdirect.com they have entry level models that at least have somewhat decent components, and you can upgrade pieces here and there.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So im looking for a jersey for my bro. No big logos , and no silly zigzagshit. That rules out most of the assos/capo and he hates castelli.

black/red/white kit
So Im looking at mavic jerseys, any experience?

Any suggestions for clean jerseys?

Rapha is a bit out of my league. (and I would prob buy it for myself first
biggrin.gif
)

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eglbc
So im looking for a jersey for my bro. No big logos , and no silly zigzagshit. That rules out most of the assos/capo and he hates castelli.

black/red/white kit

biggrin.gif
)

How about the cheap Performance ones? It's their house brand and they come in a variety of colors. Also REI might have some from Novarra.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

black/red/white kit

biggrin.gif
)

Ibex

Kucharik

Wool is the ****

Kark

Reaction score

black/red/white kit

biggrin.gif
)

swobo, twinsix, santini, Louis Garneau, Sugoi, off the top of head..

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'm thinking about getting a bike, my first since I was a kid, and I'd love some recommendations from the bike experts here.

It would be used only in the city, for occasional commutes and weekend rides--I'm close to off-street paths. I'd like something new, readily available in stores, pretty classic looking, reliable, relatively light, and under, say, $800. I think I'd like at least a partial chain guard, for what it's worth. Any ideas? I saw the Gary Fisher Simple City and that looked nice, but I have no idea how it rates. Also, best bike store in Manhattan for someone like me who hasn't ridden in a while?

i bought my gary fisher mendota (click to see) and my wife's trek 7.3 at bicycle habitat in soho. The mendota was a 2009 model that I got for a little over $800 on sale.

bicycle habitat is both a great place to buy a bike (if you get the right guy helping you (like a manager/cool employee) and a ****** place when you get the "you should try a singlespeed fixie! its awesome! its the only way to ride! guy". I have nothing against fixies, but if you will be going across any bridges often/or any hills for the matter then its no better than buying a bmx bike (only way cooler looking). my wife and I lucked out and the manager helped us out.

they were purchased on a whim last summer to ride around the city which worked out fine. buuuuuut, if i could turn back time I would of just spent a $1,000-$1,200 on an entry level cyclocross bike, because I ended up buying a road bike to use for my fitness rides and use the mendota for commuting and everything else (like rides with my wife ect).

If I just spend a little more on a cyclocross bike I would have had a single bike for all my needs.

Like this one: The Gary Fisher Lane

or a salsa caseroll (which that had a great sale on but didn't have my size)
http://salsacycles.com/images/sized/...-500pxx361.jpg

at least with a cyclocross bike you'll still have that road bike geometry (albeit a little more relaxed), drop bars, brifters, and thinner wheels, but you can also take it offroad. and a lot of the models (like the two i mentioned) have braze ons for racks and fenders.

you can get this in a surly cross check too. its basically a cyclocross bike that is mostly used for commuting (I almost ended up getting a crosscheck too, but since I already had the mendota I figured I might as well get a true roadbike).

Last edited by a moderator:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just curious, would anyone know if these fat tired bikes really work well on snow? (not that we have snow here, I really am just curious)
pugsley%2016%20multi.jpg

Kark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
just curious, would anyone know if these fat tired bikes really work well on snow? (not that we have snow here, I really am just curious)

pugsley%2016%20multi.jpg

yes.

There is a limit of course, but yes. Big difference.

Shiny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Anything from xmart or target is going to be a complete POS and waste of money.

Gary Fisher brand is fine. They're just Treks.

Lessee, the guy is asking for a commuting bike with a chainguard and I recommend one. It has a chainguard AND some fenders for the rain AND a rear rack. Have you guys ridden an xmart bike in a while? Their quality is improving. Most of the xmart bikes come with vbrakes now, which are great for stopping.

One guy recommends a "gary fisher" and the other one an internal gear hub? (?). I know what an IGH is, but does anyone else? At least try to link up a model.

I'd also not want to go into the general snobbishness of LBSs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads