• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got $1000.00... what to do with it?

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
My grandmother's estate is finally settled and I got $1000.00 this morning.
So tell me, what to do with it! I don't plan on having kids, so no need for college savings. I am still young (21) and in college, but I have no bills since I am in the military. And I am going active duty, so no real need to save for a house. Thoughts?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have an interest and the motivation, I would start investing in the stock market.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
If you have an interest and the motivation, I would start investing in the stock market.
I agree. Buy stocks with high dividend yields such as CXO or JNJ.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whores.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
put away $500 into some sort of long term savings and then go play with the other $500. if you have 500 you'll spend 500, if you have 1000, you'll spend 1000... see how that works. so enjoy/blow the 500 but still be responsible by saving something for later.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlock
You can buy this house: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand..._M49403-87464#

You couldn't pay me 1000 an hour to live in Detroit
lol8[1].gif

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
put away $500 into some sort of long term savings and then go play with the other $500. if you have 500 you'll spend 500, if you have 1000, you'll spend 1000... see how that works. so enjoy/blow the 500 but still be responsible by saving something for later.

Would you recommend just putting it in my normal savings account? Or perhaps one of those high-yield savings accounts? Such as... Emigrant Direct (1%), Ally (1.09%), etc? I have seen this accounts at over 6% pre-recession....

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
help a nigerian

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
Would you recommend just putting it in my normal savings account? Or perhaps one of those high-yield savings accounts? Such as... Emigrant Direct (1%), Ally (1.09%), etc? I have seen this accounts at over 6% pre-recession....

oh I'm no finance dude. all I meant was that whenever i get money coming in, I always take a portion off the top and put it away into a mid-long term saving of sorts. if it's regular income then i take maybe about 10-15%, and if it's something like this taht's just a bonus then I'd take half. that way I can sleep easy knowing I'm being responsible about saving something and can relax and just blow the rest on whatever I want. I've also found that desires expand to their budgets... so if you have a free $500, then that's what you'll spend and if you have $1000, then you'll spend all that. but it's the same act/fulfillment of just spending and getting something, so why waste the extra $500?

as for where/how to invest, I don't know. I assume you've got some money somewhere tucked away that's growing, just add this little bit to the pile.

aguydude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Do something memorable. Go skydiving or mountain climbing or some such ****. The stock market is for suckers.

THIS:

That or save for retirement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads