• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Importing wine from France to U.S.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We are trying to import a vintage bottle of wine from France for my father's birthday on December 20 (a little less than two weeks from now). The wine in question is a 1940 Cheval Blanc. However, as I understand it, it is illegal to ship the bottle into the country unless through a licensed courier/importer.

Does anyone have experience with this who can suggest a courier/importer to use? Thanks!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You really need to ship something that old cold, and I don't think it is easy to do that quickly. Why not search the US for a few bottles?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You really need to ship something that old cold, and I don't think it is easy to do that quickly. Why not search the US for a few bottles?

We've been looking--no luck.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used DHL and they were great but it was for stuff nowhere near that old. Importing can be tricky and your wine or spirits may be held for quite a while as it clears customs. I'd think you were already taking a tremendous risk on any old bottle, but knowing it may sit in a heated warehouse for days would be a deal breaker for me.

The vox solution would be simply to fly to France and bring the bottle back yourself...

I've had friends buy from restaurants, but you'll get screwed on price.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Never had a '40. Take notes plz.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Never had a '40. Take notes plz.

He probably won't share it with me.
frown.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
He probably won't share it with me.
frown.gif

That's inexcusable!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
if you don't want to ship it, ask the guys at Sherry-Lehman or Crush if they can obtain a bottle.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
if you don't want to ship it, ask the guys at Sherry-Lehman or Crush if they can obtain a bottle.

Sherry-Lehman can't, or won't--haven't talked to Crush.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it is a very short turnaroud time for a very old vintage (a vintage that isn't 1945, mind you), so I'd be surprised if anybody could really find it in 2 weeks.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it is a very short turnaroud time for a very old vintage (a vintage that isn't 1945, mind you), so I'd be surprised if anybody could really find it in 2 weeks.

Well, I found a few bottles at a couple of merchants in Europe myself.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boy, that's hard to do - you basically need an individual to be a "mule" for the wine, considering the time constraints.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
what about Terra e Sole out of Berlin? They have a '40 CB and can ship in 4-8 days.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what about Terra e Sole out of Berlin? They have a '40 CB and can ship in 4-8 days.

They are one of the merchants we found who has it, but they are unresponsive to e-mails. We have another merchant called "Wine-mania" in France who promptly sent us photos showing us the fill level, bottle condition, etc. Of course, we can find little to nothing on their reputation and they have not responded to questions about how the wine's been kept.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
They are one of the merchants we found who has it, but they are unresponsive to e-mails. We have another merchant called "Wine-mania" in France who promptly sent us photos showing us the fill level, bottle condition, etc. Of course, we can find little to nothing on their reputation and they have not responded to questions about how the wine's been kept.

There's the rub - 70 years is a long time - I don't imagine wine-mania has been the sole owner. All that bottle needs at some point in its long life is half a day in the trunk of a car under the blazing sun to turn it to salad dressing. You'll also want to make sure that Hardy Rodenstock didn't "source" it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads