• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Google Notebook

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thing would be virtually useless for me. I move way to much data not to mention no storage capacity.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
This thing would be virtually useless for me. I move way to much data not to mention no storage capacity.
haha. Cloud computing humor. It could also be useful to you, because you wouldn't have to move as much data or worry about storage capacity. I have never once run out of storage space on my Gmail account, for example. It's just a different solution to your current problem I need to be bigger/faster so I can carry more stuff at a higher rate of speed vs I want everything I might need to be everywhere, so I don't have to carry anything more than the bare minimum at all times.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah screw that. As much as I love Google, I won't be buying this. My 6 year old Acer Travelmate running Lubuntu still works great, and is still more functional than a netbook even with Linux and an aged processor.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL. Perhaps. The problem lies in having a reliable high speed connection that's available all the time everywhere to get anything of real substance done. I also have a problem with the potential privacy issues. Yeah I suppose that could be overcome by compiling a good data encryption run time, using it and then uploading to a cloud but that has it's own problems. I run commercial websites. I pretty much have to link directly to the site to do my job. I don't see how hitting a cloud would make my job easier or more secure. If anything it's another link in a chain that could fail or otherwise be compromised.

As pointed out this is a good thing from a corporate standpoint. No more compatibility issues with docs etc., no servers and that whole nightmare, the devices used to access everything is dirt cheap and very portable. It has it's merits but like any other technology it's not good for everything.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has it's merits but like any other technology it's not good for everything.
Unless we're talking about an Apple product.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Yeah screw that. As much as I love Google, I won't be buying this.

Lucky you. It's not for sale!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
LOL. Perhaps. The problem lies in having a reliable high speed connection that's available all the time everywhere to get anything of real substance done.
Could I, just for the sake of discussion get an example of something you don't think you can do work-wise with this, that you think you can do with another laptop? I mean, essentially, doesn't mobile computing always hinge upon having a reliable high speed wireless data connection of some kind to get any work done? You can't send or recieve emails or upload or download data of any kind from ANY laptop without either WiFi, 3G, or LAN. It won't play CRYSIS. Can probably look at Appreciation though. Pretend that google doesn't already know how much Appreciation you look at if you want. But it knows!

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty excited. already have a macbook, but if I can get this on a netbook, I'd like it. quick, compact, cheaper hopefully than a mac air.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Could I, just for the sake of discussion get an example of something you don't think you can do work-wise with this, that you think you can do with another laptop? I mean, essentially, doesn't mobile computing always hinge upon having a reliable high speed wireless data connection of some kind to get any work done? You can't send or recieve emails or upload or download data of any kind from ANY laptop without either WiFi, 3G, or LAN.

It won't play CRYSIS. Can probably look at Appreciation though. Pretend that google doesn't already know how much Appreciation you look at if you want. But it knows!

Sure, how about post processing RAW camera images and then converting them to CYMK print ready TIFs and then converting those files to web ready images or high res JPGs? How about designing, testing and tweaking a website written in PHP that runs off of a SQL server database? I can do these things on a mediocre laptop without a connection. I doubt you can do either using cloud technology as it stands now.

For what it's worth this is not new technology at all. This concept has been used in corporate infrastructures for a long time. You're just seeing it coming out of the box and into mainstream use.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We seem to be switching back and forth a lot between what we are talking about. I'm trying to keep up. Are we talking about this hardware platform designed to beta test the OS, or are we talking about cloud computing? The notebook with "no storage" that I think you were referring to is not a consumer product. Saying you have "virtually no use" for the notebook itself makes little sense or is alternately a "duh" moment, much in the same way as you also have no use for a concept car. Cloud computing, on the other hand, given the two examples you listed, seems like it would be something you'd find highly worthwhile, not useless. The photo processing, cloud storage and backup, batch reformatting, and anywhere editing power of cloud computing is exactly why I want to test this thing out. I'm kind of excited about it actually. In my application to test it, I told them I'd use it to photo and video document my Japan trip and that I'd be using the cloud to store and edit my photos and videos to host on various social media. SQL server and virtualization is something that cloud computing is already being used for in the corporate world

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TS, the device itself has no storage capacity or the ability to run the software required to do what I do. A netbook like an Aspire can and has plenty of storage not to mention it's comparable in size and weight. It can also connect via Wifi and cell to the net so hitting a cloud is no big deal. Why would I want to trade off being able to work offline or in a cloud to a device that cannot do both?

So you're telling me that Sony has their RAW conversion software setup in cloud mode? What about the Adobe software I use? I'm familiar with plenty of online services that have online photo editing but none of it is even close to what Photoshop does.

I find certain parts of cloud technology useful and have been using it for nearly a decade already. Like I said this is not anything new in corporate infrastructures.

While we are talking about pushing data. Do you have any idea how long it takes to upload 8 gig worth of photos? I do. I can convert, post process, organize and decide which ones I want to use and send them to the print lab or post them using a laptop in far less time than it would take to just upload them to a cloud let alone work them in that environment.

What you see going on here is how you'll get that cell phone sized device that'll eventually replace what we we call the PC today. It'll take years to fully develop and implement. Until then it is a poor choice for me because it is not as capable as what I'm currently using.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
TS, the device itself has no storage capacity or the ability to run the software required to do what I do.
And the concept car version of most cars don't have air conditioning. I don't understand your point. You are denigrating a black box hardware device built to Beta test an operating system. Do you nitpick a lot of developer grade hardware? Or do you just have some sort of axe to grind?
A netbook like an Aspire can and has plenty of storage not to mention it's comparable in size and weight. It can also connect via Wifi and cell to the net so hitting a cloud is no big deal. Why would I want to trade off being able to work offline or in a cloud to a device that cannot do both?
How about we compare apples to apples here? How about you tell me what's wrong with the Android dev box, seen below and why nobody will ever use Android phones because their form factor sucks and they have no features.
tidevmwcamain.jpg
So you're telling me that Sony has their RAW conversion software setup in cloud mode? What about the Adobe software I use? I'm familiar with plenty of online services that have online photo editing but none of it is even close to what Photoshop does.
How many Apps did the iPhone have before it was released? I'm just curious. Cause you are, at this very moment complaining that there are not enough applications tailored for an operating system that doesn't formally exist yet and won't even have a consumer release until six months from now. By the way, Adobe Photoshop already has a web browser driven cloud app. As I already mentioned. It's limited right now, but it's in BETA.
I find certain parts of cloud technology useful and have been using it for nearly a decade already. Like I said this is not anything new in corporate infrastructures.
So why don't you seem to know anything about it? What consumer level cloud computing apps are you familiar with?
While we are talking about pushing data. Do you have any idea how long it takes to upload 8 gig worth of photos? I do. I can convert, post process, organize and decide which ones I want to use and send them to the print lab or post them using a laptop in far less time than it would take to just upload them to a cloud let alone work them in that environment.
Anecdotal evidence is nice. You seem to not be very good at thinking outside the box though. Several of these operations can be done in one or two minutes or possibly even seconds with cloud computing. Obviously depending on the scaling and infrastructure available to you in your cloud. So streamline your uploading procedure and let the supercomputer at the other end of your connection do it's job.
What you see going on here is how you'll get that cell phone sized device that'll eventually replace what we we call the PC today.
This is wishful thinking. Something that replaces my PC better have a BIGGER screen, not a smaller one.
Until then it is a poor choice for me because it is not as capable as what I'm currently using.
Considering that you aren't informed enough to make this decision at the moment, I'd suggest you hold off until the product you are denigrating is actually available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads