• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
+1 on all this. Its not the greatest thing in the whole world but its a nice solid man's scent. DEFINITELY worth $20

Yes, well worth the low price. I'll say that the dry down is superb, again it's a lot like Derby which is one of my very favorites and costs $200/bottle. Unfortunately, the top notes are mediocre and it fades rather easily.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
bigstar[1].gif

What's your take on this one? I have a really hard time describing it.

Chanel No. 5 for me today.

It's a basic interpretation of Jolie Madame, ie - violets & leather....but done in the Etat style, ie - slightly perverse. I quite like it.

Le Feu d'Issey for me today.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
today - Rive Gauche PH. Always a winner.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
today - Rive Gauche PH. Always a winner.

one of my favorites this time of year.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
Le Feu d'Issey for me today.

I used to like this a lot, especially the top. Then one day I noticed a really strong sour milk note. Now it actually nauseates me.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
L'Instant came to mind but once I realized how cold it was, Knize Ten became the only choice.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
L'Instant came to mind but once I realized how cold it was, Knize Ten became the only choice.

Battle of the classic leathers! I'll see your Knize with some more Tabac Blond today.

Yours is dry and arid, mine is funky with a bouquet of flowers hidden inside.
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Battle of the classic leathers! I'll see your Knize with some more Tabac Blond today. Yours is dry and arid, mine is funky with a bouquet of flowers hidden inside.
smile.gif

I can only imagine if K10 came in parfum. I know there was a gold edition but I wear this so seldom that even a single backup bottle seems superfluous. Strangely, yours is supposed to feature tobacco, yet mine is the dry one.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I can only imagine if K10 came in parfum. I know there was a gold edition but I wear this so seldom that even a single backup bottle seems superfluous.

Strangely, yours is supposed to feature tobacco, yet mine is the dry one.

Check out my SOTD yesterday, where I cross posted from Basenotes the ingredients in Tabac Blond. Interestingly, it has NO tobacco in it.

Sort of like how Mitsouko actually has no peaches...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Check out my SOTD yesterday, where I cross posted from Basenotes the ingredients in Tabac Blond. Interestingly, it has NO tobacco in it.

Sort of like how Mitsouko actually has no peaches...

Yeah, I saw the ingredient list and thought it kinda short for it's depth.

I read something interesting on Luca Turin's blog a while back about creating one scent out of two completely unrelated different scents, like a perfumer's sleight-of-hand. There are a few mixtures out there.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Rock Crystal today. Love the concept behind these 'stone poem' fragrances and I think this may be the best of the bunch. Smells 'tres femme' in the bottle to my nose but once applied it blends nicely with my chemistry. Cool visuals of a warm, crystaline glow.

Wore Isfarkand yesterday, a hit with the GF("It smells like you, only better!") and I was able to volunteer at the parrot rescue without getting mangled by the 'face pliers'.Great success.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I blind bought a metric ton of Thierry Mugler Womanity, and I'm trying it for the first time today. I get the savory, salty note that the promotional materials emphasize, but my nose interprets it as a very strong marine note, sort of like a Jardin Apres La Mousson on steroids. But there's also an extremely sweet, sugary note--sort of like cotton candy. I wanted to say that the sweet note balances the marine note, but it doesn't. I find that the fragrance wavers between the salty marine and sweet cotton candy, sort of like the famous drawing wavers between vases and women's faces.

So far, I'm not a big fan. I hope it grows on me, because I have a lot of it!

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I blind bought a metric ton of Thierry Mugler Womanity, and I'm trying it for the first time today. I get the savory, salty note that the promotional materials emphasize, but my nose interprets it as a very strong marine note, sort of like a Jardin Apres La Mousson on steroids. But there's also an extremely sweet, sugary note--sort of like cotton candy. I wanted to say that the sweet note balances the marine note, but it doesn't. I find that the fragrance wavers between the salty marine and sweet cotton candy, sort of like the famous drawing wavers between vases and women's faces.

So far, I'm not a big fan. I hope it grows on me, because I have a lot of it!

Sell it. It's nauseating at best. Angel-fig on steroids.

Wearing Dia Man today, plus sampling Montana Just Me (pineapple leather) and J'Adore L'Or (peachy rose).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
Sell it. It's nauseating at best. Angel-fig on steroids. Wearing Dia Man today, plus sampling Montana Just Me (pineapple leather) and J'Adore L'Or (peachy rose).
+1 on the womaninaty. Its WAY too feminine in that cotton-candy sort of way. Ugh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads