• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girlfriend's Crazy Ex-Boyfriend - what to do?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
looking forward to the 2012 "I can't believe I just spent the past two years of my life with this girl" thread.

That's if the guy doesn't cut ********* off.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[Matt]Take up boxing and learn how to throw a right cross.[/Matt]

This is probably your best course of action to defend yourself if necessary.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I'm not sure about where you live, but temporary restraining orders are issued by the police (usually, at least) and aren't really that hard to get (again, usually). No lawyers are needed. Beyond that, I'm not sure. And of course, Ambulance Chaser is right: it's not a guarantee of protection. Still, if he violates it in any way, he can get into trouble, a restraining order is better than not having one.

Okay, thanks. I'll inquire about it when I speak with the police later on. I'm in Ontario, Canada, fwiw. And yes, I'm well aware that it won't physically stop anything, but it would be reassuring to know that if he walked into my work, anyone could call and have him arrested. I'm more worried about the immediate physical threat of an attack if he were to show up unannounced and try something. But I'm aware that short of a gun (which isn't a possibility because I'm in canada) or a 24/7 bodyguard, there isn't really much I can do.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incman:

How old are you?

TyC

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
alright, but leaving really isn't as hard as you're making it, and in this instance is a)probably worth it, and b) will solve the problem you began this thread for. two months is smitten, not love.

incidentally i'm willing to bet that she won't file any restraining order and he won't come after you.

looking forward to the 2012 "I can't believe I just spent the past two years of my life with this girl" thread.

As I mentioned earlier, I have known her about a year and a half, and we have been developing feelings for each other for much longer than 2 months, so I'm not sure
confused.gif
In regards to b), me leaving now wouldn't change his feelings towards me, so it's a moot point.

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
[Matt]Take up boxing and learn how to throw a right cross.[/Matt]

This is probably your best course of action to defend yourself if necessary.

I've been considering taking up some form of martial art for a couple months now...this may be the spark I need to do it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
Much easier said than done.
Bull. Life needn't be full of this melodramatic crap ... and that's just what this is.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
So does the OP have his own place?

Going to get a RO with a note? Doubtful.

No, I don't. I'm living with family while I go to school. (P.s., not a trust-fund kid. Broke as hell, pay room/board, work 20ish hours a week, pay for my own schooling, no car, straight As and motivated/hardworking). And yeah, as mentioned I don't know how a RO works, just that I'll inquire about it.

Originally Posted by TyCooN
Incman:

How old are you?

TyC

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Given the circumstances ... I'd remove myself as far as possible from all involved ... including the girl.

+1, haven't read past this post, clearly, a 19 y.o. boy shouldn't be thinking about love and can certainly get over it.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
You sound like a codependent teenager who wants the thrill of saving a girl who's "really worth it" and "been through some hard times". Do whatever you want and maybe some day you'll grow up.

Not even close.

...I'm in love with this girl, and I know we'll be together for a long time. Perhaps it's the dumb teenager in me (inb4 someone bolds and +1's that), but I'm willing to put up with the baggage because she's more than worth it.

You do not know in any way that you're going to be together for a long period of time. You're a 19 year old kid. She's a mentally fucked up 21 year old kid. She's not worth it. You need to focus on going to school (if you're already there, then take more or harder classes) and making something out of your life. Not ******* around with bullshit like this.
ffffuuuu.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
+1, haven't read past this post, clearly, a 19 y.o. boy shouldn't be thinking about love and can certainly get over it.

At what age, exactly, is someone allowed to fall in love?

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
You do not know in any way that you're going to be together for a long period of time. You're a 19 year old kid. She's a mentally fucked up 21 year old kid. She's not worth it. You need to focus on going to school (if you're already there, then take more or harder classes) and making something out of your life. Not ******* around with bullshit like this.
ffffuuuu.gif

Maybe I'll look back in 10 years and regret, but on the other hand I'm quite sure I won't. I'm in school doing all the right things, and having a gf isn't/wont affect that. She's not mentally fucked up, she's very realistic and down to earth.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

Good question. I didn't choose for it to happen, and I can't just throw it away (not that I'd want to). I guess it's just human nature to look down on people younger than yourself.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

no younger than 25,how old are you? 22? go back to your kitchen, boy.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. I didn't choose for it to happen, and I can't just throw it away (not that I'd want to). I guess it's just human nature to look down on people younger than yourself.

I don't think anyone is looking down on you,I think people are speaking out of experience. Believe you me, you will forget this girl in no time and it will probably be in your best interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics