• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Sorry I didn't see your post. Here's the truth. It's because from a business standpoint it makes sense to only order Ds. I know it's frustrating. I take an E or EE and sometimes I open a box of new shoes and I'm like, "DAMN, why didn't I order an E for myself?!?!" If you contact us and the timing is right we'd be happy to add your size to our order. As we grow though it gets harder and harder to accommodate. I wish I could order every size for every person but it's impossible. We've been trying to have preorders...we're up to #20 so far. We haven't had one in a couple months because the backlog at the factory is immense and we're just too busy in store to organize a preorder. It's also very difficult for us because not everyone is happy with a 6-12 month wait. Some people expect special ordered shoes in 2-4 months but that is impossible for us. All I can say is check back to the website, we'll try to have one every month or two from January going forward, or shoot me an email from time to time to see what I'm ordering next.

Totally understandable re: ordering D width only. That's why, as odd-size-wearing Alden-lovers, we have to plan ahead as best as possible and be willing to wait for what we want - if we don't want to compromise and spend huge bucks on whatever does happen to be available.

Plus, we must be willing to be persistent, hunt around & spend our money wherever we can find our size, and not be fiercely loyal to any one retailer (as much as we may like working with certain ones). That's why I own Alden shoes from Leather Soul, Alden D.C., Alden NYC, Alden San Fran, Alden-of-Carmel, Shoemart, Brooks Brothers and have one on order from Leffot. It's business on both ends.

shasta

Reaction score
FYI - for future generations, I am the same size on the barrie that I am on the tru balance. Just call me an enabler
smile.gif

John_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
Wow, that is a huge bummer! I have been there, so I want to share my criteria for sending back shoes with defects: if the defect is in an area that will see a lot of "use" (scuffs, scrapes, knicks, scratches, etc.) then I keep them and just wear them. Of course this is easier with chromexcel and calf, and harder to do with cordovan since with cordovan I will usually be keeping them in a more highly polished state and so imperfections will show more.

As for your particular defect I would need to see a picture of it to give you my opinion, but also keep in mind that you might get another boot back with a similar issue due to the horrible Alden boxing (small boxes and tight packing). Or at least that has been my experience.

bootg.jpg

here is the pic - after a day looking at them now, I will probably keep them, but it's still disheartening to get a new boot and have even a small imperfection that should have been avoidable...other thoughts?

(Also, my experience with shell is that it repairs over time, as several years ago I made a large dent in the front of my chukkas on a metal grate, and several months later, the indentations were imperceptible.)

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say with the spot that the "dent" is located I wouldn't worry about it. Over time the boots are going to "drape" and it will get swallowed up and blend in. Plus your pant leg is going to cover it i'm sure...unless you plan on tucking in your pant legs...

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Plus, we must be willing to be persistent, hunt around & spend our money wherever we can find our size, and not be fiercely loyal to any one retailer (as much as we may like working with certain ones). That's why I own Alden shoes from Leather Soul, Alden D.C., Alden NYC, Alden San Fran, Alden-of-Carmel, Shoemart, Brooks Brothers and have one on order from Leffot. It's business on both ends.

Case in point: I contacted several different retailers this week looking for a few items. Only two got back to me in a timely manner and one had something that fit, but I would have been compromising on it. Brooks Bros. "week of savings" deal of the day is 40% off shoes/leather goods/shoe accessories, etc. (excluding shell). Still, I managed to pick up 2 pairs of Alden calfskin shoes for $238.80 each, as well as two other pairs and shoe trees, with zero shipping fees. They had my size and good prices, so I happily dropped $1,200 this morning with BB.

Oh yeah, and I picked up a pair of reverse chamois Indy boots with crepe soles from J. Gilbert as well. Big day. We'll see how the BB ones work out fit-wise, but the Indys will be keepers for sure.

Beyachad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike f
Here are some poor pics of a new pair of Indy's in natural chrom....

IMG_0347.jpg

I really love these. First, they don't have the typical boxy looking moc toe, there is no stitching and they actually look more tailored or sleek. Second, the sole and heel treatment is far different. They are still heavy but sleek. The description of the shoe says the sole and heel is neoprene and cork, but it's a lot different than the Indy as can be seen. Actually has the appearance of an oiled leather.

IMG_0349.jpg

I'm really pleased I got these before they were gone and hope Alden does more in this pattern.

Please forgive the poor photo skills.

IMO, those are some of the best looking boots I have seen in a long time. I spoke to the folks at Shoemart and they said the boots were on the Barrie last, which helps explain the sleekness and more modern look than a traditional Indy on a Trubalance last. I have been debating between these and sand suede boots, but seeing your pictures pushed me to order the natural chromexcel boots instead. I am scratching my head as to how these could be called Indy boots in the first place, but I am not in marketing...excited now to get these boots.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beyachad
IMO, those are some of the best looking boots I have seen in a long time. I spoke to the folks at Shoemart and they said the boots were on the Barrie last, which helps explain the sleekness and more modern look than a traditional Indy on a Trubalance last. I have been debating between these and sand suede boots, but seeing your pictures pushed me to order the natural chromexcel boots instead. I am scratching my head as to how these could be called Indy boots in the first place, but I am not in marketing...excited now to get these boots.
I'm pretty sure you were misinformed by Shoemart; those boots definitely look like they're on the Trubalance last, as stated on the product page. The "sleekness" is probably attributed to the lack of moc toe stitching, regular welt, and waterloc soles, all of which provide a more refined look than the standard 403 Indy. It boggles me too that these can be marketed as an Indy boot. I guess it must be what Harrison Ford is wearing these days.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Totally understandable re: ordering D width only. That's why, as odd-size-wearing Alden-lovers, we have to plan ahead as best as possible and be willing to wait for what we want - if we don't want to compromise and spend huge bucks on whatever does happen to be available.

I *do* have a pair of 10 1/2 E Shell #8 NST's, brand new in box, for sale. They have been tried on on carpet, three times, no creases, not walked in, truly store-fresh quality. I bought them before I really understood my Alden sizes, and realized they are just a smidge too big for me. I believe them to be on the Aberdeen last, but you can probably confirm that with a retailer or Alden if I give you the numbers on the inside of the shoes.

I'll get around to putting them on B&S but thought I'd give the true Alden fans who actually read this thread, and lament the lack of E width shoes, a shot first
worship.gif

New they are $625 and I will sell them for $575 inc. shipping in the domestic US. Just pm me!

100 yrs

Reaction score
anyone have any ideas as to the cause of heel pain experienced when wearing indy boots? would it imply the boots are too small or too big, or could it be the way i walk? i'm not talking about blistering caused by rubbing - it would best be described as a bruise. the boots don't slip when i walk, and fit relatively well in the toe area (could maybe be a smidge bigger). i am wearing wool socks. it's only happening in my left foot, and it's the back of the heel (i'm quite satisfied with fit of the right boot). i can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. this is my second pair of indy's (went from 8.5 -> 9) and i am quite frustrated with sizing.

as i mostly wear desert boots, which are very unstructured, i figured there'd be some adjustment period for my feet going to the fairly rigid indy's, but i've probably worn them a dozen times or so which should be sufficient.

i read how comfy everyone says their indy's are. i dunno, maybe these just aren't for me, as much as i love the looks.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RomaneeConti
Hello, everyone. I am new to the board, and am new to Aldens. I recently bought a pair of Shell Cordovan Longwings in Color #8 and they look amazing. However, I am getting a feeling of rubbing against the bottoms of my outer ankles. I am considering getting a cushion inserted under the insole to raise my ankles above the edge of the shoe entry. Has anybody had that done? Any advice?
If they are not too big, it could be that you have low ankles or a small heel for the length of your foot. A gel heel pad will lift them up and the shoe will fit better. And your ankle will probably wear down that spot as well. You might avoid the Barrie going forward, or try a smaller size, because maybe this is a sign that the last is not a great match for your foot. I think the Plaza might be better for people with low, flatter feet. Or maybe you learn to love the heel pad. It will make you a little taller.
Originally Posted by John_
Question to you all: as much as I believe a $600 shoe should be perfect, is it going to be like playing the lottery?
This will not be a popular answer -- haters will accuse me of being an Alden fanboy -- but the answer is no. $600 is not that much for a pair of boots made with high-quality leathers. There are brands that cater to perfectionists, and they charge $1K and up. Alden is not John Lobb. Just because foul-smelling Rockports can be had for $65, does not mean that Aldens are overpriced at $600. That said, you should not feel guilty returning the boots if they are unworn and could be sold again as brand new. If they do not meet your expectations, maybe you should return them. I don't think another pair would necessarily be better, though. In my experience they all have some kind of asymmetry or imperfection somewhere, esp. if you look hard and long. But these are things to wear and wear out, not things to cover with glass and display forever in a little shoe-seum shrine to Aldenness. I looked at the pictures and would keep those boots without a second thought. That part of the boot is going to conform to your ankle and that dent will get lost. It's not a serious defect in my opinion, but if you want to return them unworn, then that's your prerogative.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just lowered the price on my Context #8 tanker boots, 9D to $570. I am not a pushy salesman but believe this to be a great deal on boots that are sold out and will be shipped in the same exact condition that I received them from Context.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Brooks has a similar offering,although in black and on Grant last:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

I don't believe that the BB shoe is shell cordovan. What makes the Tassels shoes so amazing is that the pebble grain pattern was applied to shell. Sweet shoes although I thought someone on the thread picked up a pair - with duty and shipping weren't they about $900?

Aries83

Reaction score
I wear my captoes with both suits and jeans, look great either way.

Probably the most versatile boot you can own.

John_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
If they are not too big, it could be that you have low ankles or a small heel for the length of your foot. A gel heel pad will lift them up and the shoe will fit better. And your ankle will probably wear down that spot as well.

You might avoid the Barrie going forward, or try a smaller size, because maybe this is a sign that the last is not a great match for your foot. I think the Plaza might be better for people with low, flatter feet. Or maybe you learn to love the heel pad. It will make you a little taller.

This will not be a popular answer -- haters will accuse me of being an Alden fanboy -- but the answer is no. $600 is not that much for a pair of boots made with high-quality leathers. There are brands that cater to perfectionists, and they charge $1K and up. Alden is not John Lobb. Just because foul-smelling Rockports can be had for $65, does not mean that Aldens are overpriced at $600.

That said, you should not feel guilty returning the boots if they are unworn and could be sold again as brand new. If they do not meet your expectations, maybe you should return them. I don't think another pair would necessarily be better, though. In my experience they all have some kind of asymmetry or imperfection somewhere, esp. if you look hard and long. But these are things to wear and wear out, not things to cover with glass and display forever in a little shoe-seum shrine to Aldenness.

I looked at the pictures and would keep those boots without a second thought. That part of the boot is going to conform to your ankle and that dent will get lost. It's not a serious defect in my opinion, but if you want to return them unworn, then that's your prerogative.

Hey, thanks. Not an unpopular answer for me. I understand that they are handmade shoes, after all, and meant to be worn and worn out. But I will still stand by $600 being expensive for shoes, even while also being a good deal for the quality.

While we can all get obsessive at times (and I admitted the crease looked not as bad the second day to me), it would be nice not to have any blemish. That being said, I am keeping them and wearing them now! They will be around (if I am) in 20 years, I'm sure, and still looking great.

Thanks for the advice and opinions, on this and all other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads