• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

raphael__n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joegrec
Can you combine these 2 offers on one suit?

It works as a coupon code. I have one, and the instructions suggest putting in the ticket # in the coupon code area, so stacking would not be possible.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael__n
Hey David,

I'm digging the username
biggrin.gif
Welcome to the forum

As for shoulders, I strongly recommend going with the natural shoulders option. I much prefer it. While I do not have broad shoulders, my waist is very thin making my shoulders appear broad in relation. In that regard, heavily padded shoulders look ridiculous on me.

Hey Raphael, and thank you.

I will definitely go with the natural shoulders option. I once had padded shoulders and although the 80's is cool on film and in epic movies I choose not to live that era again fashionwise
smile.gif

These group buy coupons are easily accessible?, someone said they even have them on the website? I found a get 150 for 50, i.e save 100. that expires in 5h, will not get that. but these are reoccuring coupons that happen I am guessing.

I will now peruse the forums trying to find a thread about bow ties and pocket squares.
smile.gif

raphael__n

Reaction score
Those are the groupbuy certificates I mentioned. I have seen a lot of them lately, so you'll probably find one hanging around at some point. If you're looking to get a suit, you're better off using the discount codes. The don't require a purchase like the groupbuys and they can offer a better value. Lorenz collects any discount codes he can find and posts them on this website:

http://www.indochino-review.com/p/in...o-coupons.html

LorenzL

Reaction score
Thanks for linking me, Raphael! By the way, the 20% coupon is usually better than the Groupon deals around - especially if you spend +500$! In other news, they just released their new collection. It's mostly (12!) pinstripe suits, heavy fabrics (wool/cashmere blends) and probably their most expensive collection so far (almost 500$ on average per suit). Not sure if I can afford anything from that collection at the moment, but some of those suits do look pretty cool - I had hoped for harris tweed and wool ties, silly me
wink.gif

http://www.indochino.com/collection/...eau_Collection
and
http://www.indochino-review.com/2010...ollection.html

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
Thanks for linking me, Raphael! By the way, the 20% coupon is usually better than the Groupon deals around - especially if you spend +500$! In other news, they just released their new collection. It's mostly (12!) pinstripe suits, heavy fabrics (wool/cashmere blends) and probably their most expensive collection so far (almost 500$ on average per suit). Not sure if I can afford anything from that collection at the moment, but some of those suits do look pretty cool - I had hoped for harris tweed and wool ties, silly me
wink.gif
http://www.indochino.com/collection/...eau_Collection and http://www.indochino-review.com/2010...ollection.html

$40 for an ugly pocket square? $40 for an ugly, fake bowtie? "Cosmic Ray" "Star Dusted" "Lunar Lilac" How is this Nouveau? Ugh.
facepalm.gif
I'm super critical of the company and product, but only b/c I want them to improve. At the price point of $500+ they've really got to offer something special in terms of discounting, free stuff, etc. especially for return customers. IMHO, in exchanged for our loyalty, return customers should not be subjected to these margins. Quite frankly, at $500 for a non 3-piece, they are pushing into the territory of brick and mortar MTM, at least that is the beginning range here in Chicago. At that price I am confident I can pick up something of better quality with legitimate measurements taken off my body and the face-to-face conversations needed to get the nuances & alterations worked out.

superlyduper

Reaction score
I'm looking for was considering purchasing the three piece timemless charcoal suit, but this new Eternal charcoal from the nouveau line complicates things. What do people think about the new Eternal Charcoal suit? What are the implications of the heavier 300g/m2 vs indochinos usual(?) 200thread count? What about the wool-cashmere blend? IMHO and very personal opinion, I find the green striped lining a bit too fancy, but I see they have a dark grey lining option as an option for all suits now.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kermitkebab
Yes, I am also critical of them and all like them. And it has nothing to do with ethnicity. It has to do with greed. Just like American businesses. They just think Americans are fools. They benefit from cheap labor. Good. They artificially devalue their currency and increase the balance of trade and distort money values and we will all pay for it, them too. But, like all greedy businessmen, you make a dollar today and to hell with tomorrow.

That may be thinking a bit too deep, certainly a bit too political for a suit discussion. I think the economic and social impact of a company like IC is pretty minimal when compared to something like a Wal-mart. (Also, you know the owners are Canadian, not Chinese right?) Quite frankly, I'm buying my suits from overseas b/c I can get it for a fraction of the cost so I appreciate an artificially devalued currency and sub-US wages. This goes for any product really...would you prefer to pay $300 for a pair of Nikes?

Originally Posted by superlyduper
I'm looking for was considering purchasing the three piece timemless charcoal suit, but this new Eternal charcoal from the nouveau line complicates things. What do people think about the new Eternal Charcoal suit? What are the implications of the heavier 300g/m2 vs indochinos usual(?) 200thread count? What about the wool-cashmere blend? IMHO and very personal opinion, I find the green striped lining a bit too fancy, but I see they have a dark grey lining option as an option for all suits now.

Don't get confused by weight and thread count 200g/m2 is not the same as 200 thread count.

raphael__n

Reaction score
I have to admit, the new suits look very good, but the pricing is definitely off-putting. Pushing over $500 for a 2-piece suit is taking things a bit too far. On the bright side, the shirts are slightly cheaper
laugh.gif

jbharris, there is absolutely nothing nouveau about it. Thankfully, I don't need another suit yet, at least not until after the new year. But I will be looking towards their shirts, and cardigans.

LorenzL, your contribution to this forum and to Indochino buyers in general is very generous on your part. I'm glad to help.

I don't mean to threadjack, but if anyone can pass me some final advice on my remake photos, I would greatly appreciate it. It's almost done!...

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kermitkebab
I have no problems with $500 for a suit, budget concious as I am. But I want a $2000 suit for my $500. I want value. I want lots n' lots for my money. And I never settle except in a real. short term emergency. Why should you ?

And these suits just don't offer that kind of quality or value.

How would you define this "value" ?
a brand name?
better fabrics?

raphael__n

Reaction score
Kermitkebab, $500 is certainly a good price for a suit. I'm not suggesting otherwise. However, in context to Indochino's customer base, they're definitely pushing the budget-conscious buyer. Nonetheless, they appear to be describing the fabrics as something rather exquisite:

"The Nouveau Gentleman Collection is from that rarified space in menswear - Luxury every man aspires to and could never own. Until now. An extraordinary line of luxurious suits, dress shirts, and accessories; all custom made with unique and ethereal details never before seen in men’s fashion. Exemplified by unquestiona...bly high end cashmere fabrics, and hard to fathom affordable pricing; welcome to the future of men’s custom apparel. I guess we'll find out soon enough when someone makes a purchase." - Indochino

I suppose we'll find out soon enough after someone makes a purchase. Given some of the forum members' appreciation of Indochino's tweed fabrics, it wouldn't be a far stretch to imagine that this is a step above. Whether it falls into the class of luxury high-end clothing is another matter.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David - I have purchased a suit and a tux from Indochino in the last 3 months and was pretty happy with how both turned out. If you want something for New Years here is my word of caution...if you don't own many suits and don't wear on a daily basis, I'd say don't get your hopes up of having a perfect fitting suit in less than 4 weeks. I have been wearing suits to work for nearly 8 years. Paying attention via GQ/Esquire and the web, I've figured out how things should fit, and what tweaks I like (button stance, height of the notch, pants rise, stuff like that). So when I first ordered from IC I started with their videos and then made some tweaks, and the result fit me exactly how I wanted. Maybe I was just lucky that I didn't have the same shoulder or length problem of others. Then again, I have other suits to compare measurements to, and I think that was key.

As far as quality goes, I thought the fabric is a solid year-round weight (I got one of the standard blue pinstripes) and thus far has held up fine with usage. I'd say it is similar to Hugo Boss or Givenchy feel.

I have also used Alexander West and Cottonwork for shirts. Both are great, just different pricepoints. AW is more expensive ($100-150) but to me have a slightly softer feel. Cottonwork is more affordable ($59-79) and has a bigger selection. Each takes the same number of measurements and have a lot of customization options.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
find that MTM shirts from PaulFrederick.com offer a very nice balance between price and quality. I've been buying their RTW shirts for years and they have really nice patterns. And good quality fabric . And they run nice sales. Their ties are nice too. But don't purchase their suits. Inexpensive, yes. But quality has really gone down in the last few years. Oh, they look real nice in the catalog. But when you get one and try it on - it screams low quality. Lapels have no roll. Pants are limp. Tailoring is poor. But, you know? what do you expect for $299 - $399 (retail).

@kermitkebab - How is the fit? I bought a basic Paul Frederick white years ago and the fit was like buying a JosBank shirt.

Reaction score
Ordering a tailors kit now with the new fabrics, this was exactly what I wanted in quality(looks like) only wouldve wanted more colorful/daring styles, i.e patterns with bold colors, that might be a spring collection though(more appropriate)

price still seems cheap, especially with coupons? what is a comparable Boss suit cost?

I saw a paul smith jacket(top part of a suit, dont know all the english terminology) which was very nice. it was 800 euros though(not including pants) don't know difference in quality though obv the paul smith has to have some kind of edge(or does it? , im no expert) edit2: obv meant OTR Paul smith.

anyone else ordering the kit with new fabrics?

Edit: Cousindonuts: thank you for responding, and also for the advice. I definitely won't rush the order to try and get a new years suit, I actually had a Whyred suit(swedish brand) altered and sent to the tailor which will be done tomorrow in mind for new years eve.

I will look into both Alexander West and Cottonwork later on tonight. thanks for the tip! I am looking for a couple shirts with an air of flair(is that even a word/correct sentence, hehe) to them. Also looking to put together a classic look (white blue pin stripe etc)

I would like to get suits/shirts more into my social wardrobe as well.
smile.gif

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Approveusername
Ordering a tailors kit now with the new fabrics, this was exactly what I wanted in quality(looks like) only wouldve wanted more colorful/daring styles, i.e patterns with bold colors, that might be a spring collection though(more appropriate)

price still seems cheap, especially with coupons? what is a comparable Boss suit cost?

I saw a paul smith jacket(top part of a suit, dont know all the english terminology) which was very nice. it was 800 euros though(not including pants) don't know difference in quality though obv the paul smith has to have some kind of edge(or does it? , im no expert)

anyone else ordering the kit with new fabrics?

Boss suits via Saks are usually in the $800-900 area, last I saw. That Givenchy I referenced prior was from Saks for $695.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads