• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

pdsf

Reaction score
^ Gosh what you were thinking my friend? They are hideous.

Just kidding. They look nice, but very different. I assume they are similar in size? I prefer the look of the sailor bag but its lack of structure means it won't always look like that... Does the other one have pockets on the sides as well (additional to the ones on the front)?

ennui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
^ Gosh what you were thinking my friend? They are hideous.

Just kidding. They look nice, but very different. I assume they are similar in size? I prefer the look of the sailor bag but its lack of structure means it won't always look like that... Does the other one have pockets on the sides as well (additional to the ones on the front)?

They are similar in size. The red/brown bag has pockets on both ends as well as the front, and has more structure.

I took a close look at the sailor bag again, and it's just too big and unstructured for me. There are additional snaps that attach the top corners to closer to the bottom of the bag, but the snaps are too weak to actually stay secured when lifting the bag by the shoulder strap. So it's definitely going back.

The red/brown bag comes pre-beat-up, looks big when I carry it, and I'm not sure if it really goes with the rest of my wardrobe. But I really like the way it looks, so I gotta think about it a bit more.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
what would you say is best bang for buck?
It's hard to say because it all depends on exactly what you want, your style/wardrobe, your budget, etc. Here are a few that I've found well done for the money, but again it depends on your style (as these are all quite different.) Furla Uomo (rather trendy) Jas MB (sort of washed/worn/goth ninja) Chris&Tibor (modern/sleek/minimal) Lambertson Truex (more "traditional," but sadly no longer exists, but can be found on ebay) Samsonite Black Label (made in China, but often found at discount and quality quite good considering) The bad thing is that in the USA, our options for $500 range bags that are WELL made are limited. It seems like we have Kenneth Cole for $300, ****** Coach for $500, then jump to $1500 designer bags that often aren't well made. Then you have really boring "old man" bags that are well made, but look like something an Insurance salesman from 1950's Alabama would carry. Japan is killing us in this range, as you can get some really exceptional bags there for $500 to fit virtually every aesthetic.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ennui
They are similar in size. The red/brown bag has pockets on both ends as well as the front, and has more structure.

I took a close look at the sailor bag again, and it's just too big and unstructured for me. There are additional snaps that attach the top corners to closer to the bottom of the bag, but the snaps are too weak to actually stay secured when lifting the bag by the shoulder strap. So it's definitely going back.

The red/brown bag comes pre-beat-up, looks big when I carry it, and I'm not sure if it really goes with the rest of my wardrobe. But I really like the way it looks, so I gotta think about it a bit more.

Thanks for the further info on the bags. Re the sailor bag - I have little patience for expensive bags to have design flaws (snaps too weak to do the job).

Well, I am glad you have the option of either keeping or returning them. During sales season, that's not always the case!

jimmypeters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Can u please post a few images of the j crew bag. I've been drooling over that thing since it came out.
Check out the bags at emilerwin.com

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a leather pouch to empty my pockets.... below 150 please. The smaller the better.

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experiences with AB A Brand Apart ? ( Available at Luisa, Antonioli, Yoox... )

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are Johnston & Murphy's bags? Came across a few on ebay and considering picking one up as a cheap-ish work bag.

(Apologies if somebody already covered this, I searched the thread but nothing came up)

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2826.jpg
Hack Lederware Tote $135 from https://canoeonline.net/shop/inspect...are-totes/2826 Seriously considering picking this up to replace my lost Filson zippered tote. However it's not made in Ameruka

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *Tee*
Any experiences with AB A Brand Apart ? ( Available at Luisa, Antonioli, Yoox... )

I'm curious also; they look nice, but the prices are steep. Definitely would want to see in person before laying that kind of cash down.

Originally Posted by Meis
How are Johnston & Murphy's bags? Came across a few on ebay and considering picking one up as a cheap-ish work bag.

(Apologies if somebody already covered this, I searched the thread but nothing came up)

What I've seen has been really lackluster. Think Kenneth Cole, only with "Johnston & Murphy" printed on them. I'd definitely look elsewhere, unless you can get the bag VERY cheaply. I probably wouldn't pay $50 for one, honestly.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
70% off sale from Trussardi 1911. Great prices on some beautiful bags, especially the soft briefcase/document carrier (available in black and brown). $1300 down to $390. If I didn't have a soft brief already that I use, I'd definitely think about this one. http://www.shop.trussardi1911.com/in...rmCatID/20619/

Magic1

Reaction score
I'd love to get an overnight bag from Trussardi, but the "small travel bag" is really small...16 inches long? That's just a tad too small to be able to carry much of anything. Thats basically a nice sized work bag. Personally, I'm looking for a bag that can carry some personal stuff (ipod, chargers, laptop, a book, notepad), change of clothes, and toiletries.

Also, can they please get away from camouflage? yuck...

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
70% off sale from Trussardi 1911. Great prices on some beautiful bags, especially the soft briefcase/document carrier (available in black and brown). $1300 down to $390. If I didn't have a soft brief already that I use, I'd definitely think about this one.

http://www.shop.trussardi1911.com/in...rmCatID/20619/

Dammit. Why is the photo for the dark brown not working?

i10casual

Reaction score
I'm curious on what you guys think about these bags the company I work for are making for some Japanese gents. They are satchel type man bags. We make gun holsters so this is a stretch for us.

http://uptownseb.tumblr.com/post/206...h-cut-railroad

Both bags have a good sized inside, side pouch, unlined with either a big fat brass or nickle zipper. Both satchels are tough with no lining, just canvass and leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads