• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo

Alden for J Crew
redface.gif

OK, I have a pair but rarely wear them. I think they would go best with raw denim but I am always afraid of indigo bleed.

What do you wear yours with?

Originally Posted by eightdouble
grabbed my chromexcel chukkas this morning. really excited about them.
I really was not a fan of this concept and not interested in this shoe. I was wrong. This is an absolute win and may be the best chukka I have seen. Better than suede. Maybe #8 would be up there but these just hit on every point.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Scotch Grain longwing in color #8 cordovan on the Barrie last from Tassels Hong Kong. From March, so they're probably out, but what a sweet, sweet shoe.

Daaaaannnnnnnngggggg!!!!!!!! I love those!!! Now my search is on to find them!!

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
nah fits perfectly ... prolly angle of pic and iphone combo

actually my right foot is a wee bit bigger than left

yes its freaking freezing ... we need to do another SF reunion

I'd love to do one!

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Daaaaannnnnnnngggggg!!!!!!!! I love those!!! Now my search is on to find them!!
I like the flat waxed laces too.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite Chukka is the Single Malt Whiskey from Leather Soul. Love the color...does the color come in another shoe?
whis4.jpg

John_

Reaction score
Hi, I just received these exact boots http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._cordovan.html and there is a 2" crease (real wrinkle crease, not a shell rolling crease) just above where the "crease" in the boot picture in the link is. It apparently was from the packing/shipping in the Alden box against the other sole. Question to you all: as much as I believe a $600 shoe should be perfect, is it going to be like playing the lottery? The rest of both boots are perfect and I'm not sure I want to wait for shipping back to CT and back to CA. On the other hand, I will be keeping them forever, like my 10 year old black shell chukkas....truly awesome boots! Thanks for your opinions...will try to post a pic tomorrow (my second post here!).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheesecake
I have question regarding heel slip. I recently received my first pair of Alden's (shell cordovan Indy's) and while the forefoot fits exceptionally well, there is some minor heel slip that is more evident on the right shoe. My question is, will the heel slip eventually go away, similarly to the RL Darltons or does the steel shank deter this?

Yes. If anything, I've found the C&J double leather soles to be even stiffer than the Aldens doubles.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Wow, that is a huge bummer! I have been there, so I want to share my criteria for sending back shoes with defects: if the defect is in an area that will see a lot of "use" (scuffs, scrapes, knicks, scratches, etc.) then I keep them and just wear them. Of course this is easier with chromexcel and calf, and harder to do with cordovan since with cordovan I will usually be keeping them in a more highly polished state and so imperfections will show more.

As for your particular defect I would need to see a picture of it to give you my opinion, but also keep in mind that you might get another boot back with a similar issue due to the horrible Alden boxing (small boxes and tight packing). Or at least that has been my experience.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blue collar
Stange, I paid express too. I wanted to have the tracking number to follow it. Mind you i live in Toronto so it's on the other side of north america, but when i try and track the package it still says ins enroute from Leather Soul...oh well patience i guess.

Can you let us know what custom fees/duties/taxes you get hit with when you receive the shoes? I'm in Toronto myself and would really like to know.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RomaneeConti
Hello, everyone.

I am new to the board, and am new to Aldens. I recently bought a pair of Shell Cordovan Longwings in Color #8 and they look amazing. However, I am getting a feeling of rubbing against the bottoms of my outer ankles. I am considering getting a cushion inserted under the insole to raise my ankles above the edge of the shoe entry. Has anybody had that done? Any advice?

Never tried that, but if it doesn't raise the foot too high and they are otherwise a good fit you could try.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
My favorite Chukka is the Single Malt Whiskey from Leather Soul. Love the color...does the color come in another shoe?

It is whiskey shell and there are various makeups with whiskey shell but they are difficult to find as it is not always available.

HorseHide

Reaction score
I just posted an IC in B&S for a pair of size 9 J Crew #8 Cap Toe Boots

I've got a lightly used pair of size 9 B/D Alden for J Crew cap toe boots in #8 shell cordovan. They are built on the Barrie last (please know your size but these are for a person with a 9.5 foot).

I've worn them maybe a half-dozen times, they are cleaned and stored with shoe trees after every wearing. I just ordered a pair of the cap toe boots with commando soles from UnionMade so I don't need 2 pairs of #8 cap toes.

They will come with boot bags but no shoe trees and no original box (the Alden box was destroyed when it came from J Crew).

Looking for $325 shipped (paypal gift only). PM for pics if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads