• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Is this in the form of a rebate, or do dealers just have them marked down? Don't see it mentioned on their site.

Use coupon code LSR30
wink.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Got a chance to shoot a Smith 500. All I can say is WOW!!! It's one helluva a mule but being on the other side would be much worse. The thing left friggin caves in the berm, not craters, not nice deep tunnels but caves!!

So after a bunch of homework and looking over loads I think my out hiking in the woods where bear live gun is solved. I'm going to go with a Smith 329PD 44 Mag loaded with Garrett 310 grain Hammerheads. My first requirement for this gun was weight. It had to be light carrying. At about 23 ounces it's light. Second concern was readily available ammo and hopefully one that could take two or more cartridges. That narrowed down the calibers to basically 45 LC 454 Casull or 44 Special 44 Mag. Both combos are good. You have a light recoiling practice round and the big stuff for hunting or anti eat you for dinner animal rounds. All said and done the good old 44 Mag won out.

The specs of the Garrett ammo is impressive. The light load made specifically for the light guns has a hair over 700 ft.lbs. of energy out of a four inch barrel. The heavy load generates almost 1K ft.lbs. out of a 4 inch gun. Either load has more than enough penetration to take out a bear reliably.

Of course the downside is it's going to have a very heavy and sharp recoil impulse but oh well that's part of the game.

Are you hunting bear or just protecting your self?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
CDNN are doing the $999 flat-top STG556 again.

Have you seen the 7.62x39mm MSAR E4 rifles that just came out? Apparently Ratworx got twenty or so of them in stock and they flew out the door. They don't use AK47 magazines so you have to buy 7.62x39mm AR mags (e.g. CProducts) but it's an intriguing idea for low-cost blasting.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Are you hunting bear or just protecting your self?

The 329PD's main purpose is for back country protection against large carnivores/herbivores while out hiking and fishing. Loaded with the Garrett rounds it's a top pick for that purpose.

If I was hunting Grizzlies it would be on my side but my primary gun would be a rifle in .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Does anyone currently own an FN SCAR?

I can't wait to get my hands on one this summer at training =))

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
thumbs-up.gif
Thanks

Yer welcome!
smile.gif

Well, it seems most of my family are "anti-gun" so won't get any of the firearm related stuff on my Xmas wishlist. Which leaves me with some crappy Accademy and Walmart giftcards so I can pay more for lower quality ammo.
censored.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 329PD's main purpose is for back country protection against large carnivores/herbivores while out hiking and fishing. Loaded with the Garrett rounds it's a top pick for that purpose.

If I was hunting Grizzlies it would be on my side but my primary gun would be a rifle in .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H.

Seems like overkill. Outside of Grizzlies and Polars bears don't attack humans. Even then pepper spray seems like a better choice.

What herbivores are going to attack you? I know in Africa the Hippo is really dangerous but is there an equally dangerous herbivore in America?

The only (large) animals that I can think of in the lower 48 that a gun might be used against for protection are lions, wolves, and 'gators, maybe pigs but only if you're going looking for trouble. And even them lions rarely will attack from where you can see them and I believe a knife is better once they get their paws on you.

Are there wolves where you hike?

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
Equally as dangerous as a hippo, not likely. However, moose are very dangerous herbivores and would certainly warrant a larger caliber gun. Supposedly moose are even more dangerous than the infamous grizzly bear.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the Colorado, Wyoming, Montana area where I go you have wolves, mountain lions, black bear, grizzly bear, elk, bison and possibly moose to worry about. A nasty 44 mag round out of a 4 inch revolver might be overkill on a wolf or lion. On the rest of the animals I have listed it would be considered effective to inadequate.

Here you have deer, feral hogs, black bear, mountain lions and the occasional royally pissed domestic cattle to worry about. Oh and north of me the conservation department is trying to repopulate elk.

For the most part none of these animals want much to do with people. The problem is when you find yourself in the wrong place at the right time. Say between mother and baby or during rut when anything can happen. Another good one is spooking something up close. An increasing problem is wild animals becoming "semi domesticated" from constant interactions with people. The Yellowstone grizzlies, elf and bison are good examples of that.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Yer welcome!
smile.gif

Well, it seems most of my family are "anti-gun" so won't get any of the firearm related stuff on my Xmas wishlist. Which leaves me with some crappy Accademy and Walmart giftcards so I can pay more for lower quality ammo.
censored.gif

Don't sleep on academy, that's usually where I pick up my practice brass.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the Colorado, Wyoming, Montana area where I go you have wolves, mountain lions, black bear, grizzly bear, elk, bison and possibly moose to worry about. A nasty 44 mag round out of a 4 inch revolver might be overkill on a wolf or lion. On the rest of the animals I have listed it would be considered effective to inadequate.

Here you have deer, feral hogs, black bear, mountain lions and the occasional royally pissed domestic cattle to worry about. Oh and north of me the conservation department is trying to repopulate elk.

For the most part none of these animals want much to do with people. The problem is when you find yourself in the wrong place at the right time. Say between mother and baby or during rut when anything can happen. Another good one is spooking something up close. An increasing problem is wild animals becoming "semi domesticated" from constant interactions with people. The Yellowstone grizzlies, elf and bison are good examples of that.

Yeah, I guess I just feel that the best way to deal with most animals is common sense and not guns (unless of course you're killing and eating them in which case a gun is common sense). I grew up in the woods and while a Elk or a Moose might be fully capable of harming you I would rather trust that I can avoid the wrong place and the wrong time.
I remember when I was a kid the Bison would escape and come over to our place and **** up the garden... me and my brother would go out and chase them with rocks. Those F***ers were big even adjusted for my young age making everything larger than life.

Wolves though.... I can see wanting a gun in Wolf country. And snakes, although a good pair of **** kickers does the trick as does 5 gallon bucket and a stick.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modern Day Adonis
Equally as dangerous as a hippo, not likely. However, moose are very dangerous herbivores and would certainly warrant a larger caliber gun. Supposedly moose are even more dangerous than the infamous grizzly bear.
At 1400 lbs, Moose can be dangerous, and males have been known to charge at transport trucks!! Also, black flies have been known to drive them nuts -- run out of the woods and onto the highways in Northern ON and Quebec, smashing cars and bringing traffic to a halt. That said, moose aren't territorial and of course don't see humans as food, so run if the need should ever arise and it won't give pursuit (unless you're moose hunting, in which case, indeed, their large size does dictate an appropriate caliber gun, I agree). As to bears, Norcal's right. Spray is better than a gun--i.e., shoot a grizzly and all you're likely to do is make it angry at you (good call, Norcal). Bear of all kinds are naturally shy of humans. Carrying a noisemaker to announce your presence so they stay away is a good idea, with chemical sprays on hand in the event of an encounter.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Don't sleep on academy, that's usually where I pick up my practice brass.

True and thanks for the reminder - I was in a bad mood when I wrote that. But I did sneak-in an order with sgammo.com for some cheap no.4 12 gauge.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads