• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrythedog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
yep, i am going to keep em, was just sitting here thinking that. they are much more comfortable than I thought they would be, and they look sharp. i have wanted a pair for about a year, and just sold a bunch of stuff to be able to make it happen.

they are great.

enjoy them!

RomaneeConti

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I am new to the board, and am new to Aldens. I recently bought a pair of Shell Cordovan Longwings in Color #8 and they look amazing. However, I am getting a feeling of rubbing against the bottoms of my outer ankles. I am considering getting a cushion inserted under the insole to raise my ankles above the edge of the shoe entry. Has anybody had that done? Any advice?

shasta

Reaction score
I'd like to summon the powers of SF - would I be the same size on the Barrie that I am on the TruBalance?

Thanks!!

Seafinch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta
I'd like to summon the powers of SF - would I be the same size on the Barrie that I am on the TruBalance?

Thanks!!

Yes.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yes. I would still urge you to try both on just to be safe but I do wear the same size in both TB and Barrie.

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seafinch
Yes.

Thanks - you might have just cost me $650
smile.gif

cimabue

Reaction score
I'd like to summon the powers of SF - would I be the same size on the Barrie that I am on the TruBalance? Thanks!!
Barrie: 9.5D TruBalance : 10D (Brannock Device: 10.5 D)

shasta

Reaction score
hmm - really wish I could try them on in person, since the feedback seems mixed. if it helps, I do feel like I have some room in my size 8 TruBalance boots ( indys )

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
I'm a huge fan. Kathy and Joe are both excellent to work with. They are also the sister store of the San Fran shop and share stock. Occasionally, they've been able to get things for me from there as a result. I'm an E width on every last, which means my options are usually pretty limited, but they've been most helpful in growing my collection (as have Tom from LSH, Ed Z from Shoemart and Steven from Leffot).

Thanks...should I drop your name tomorrow when I visit the store?

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eightdouble
sometimes their catalogs ship with a 20% coupon inside, which (i believe) states on it that you cannot use it on alden and other brands, but it works on them anyway. so if you get a 20% coupon then you can get that discount.
I got a 20% discount at JCrew this way. When I first put the shoes in my shopping cart, and entered the discount code, the discount did not appear. I was pretty bummed. But I added a sweater to my cart and entered the discount code again, and got the 20% discount for both the boots and the sweater. Then I simply removed the sweater from the cart (didn't feel like shelling out $150 for a striped sweater). The discount on the Alden boots remained, so I bought them. I don't know if its a glitch or not, but I am very happy with the cordo cap toe boots. On a different note, I just purchased a beautiful pair of Color#8 NST seconds on the Barrie last from Shoemart for about $225 less than retail ($398). I sure as hell can't spot the flaw that made them seconds.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

Thanks!!

My take is it's more art than science. 9E on Trubalance is perfect for me, while 9E on Barrie proved too big, so I roll with 8.5E there. I've heard many folks say they wear the same on both.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah most sites say its "safe" to same size with both. but again this is a guide and since very persons foot is different, there are always exceptions. but i would argue that the vast majority of people go same for both and im included

cheesecake

Reaction score
I have question regarding heel slip. I recently received my first pair of Alden's (shell cordovan Indy's) and while the forefoot fits exceptionally well, there is some minor heel slip that is more evident on the right shoe. My question is, will the heel slip eventually go away, similarly to the RL Darltons or does the steel shank deter this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads