• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REISS Personal Tailoring

dirtyturk

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to everyone for the wealth of information and experience/reviews on here.

I usually don't have anything to add to these forums (reading for about a year) but didnt see any info on this (did a search) so I thought I'd make an account and be the asker...

I have been looking for suits of late. Not yet at the bespoke level, but stepping up from cheap RTW to understanding a bit about quality and getting something MTM done in London.

After much visiting the available options at and around £500: Cad & Dandy, Suit Supply, Suit that fits, Sartoriani, etc. And for each I felt I wouldn't like the result for various reasons I won't go into now. I figured the best bet was to go for Ede and Ravenscroft which seems like even if it MTM, they must really know what they are doing (300yrs experience
satisfied.gif
) and the influence they have on fabric suppliers and wensum probably means they have discounts/lower margins than most other shops. My only concern was that the style is a bit "too classic." Very stiff and formal it seems. So that is my current decision (open to discussion). However I just popped into Reiss so was wondering what people thought as it seems like a decent alternative.

Has anyone tried or heard anything about Reiss' Personal Tailoring? I like their cuts as a bit more fashion forward than a classic suit but my experience was always that £400+ for a fused RTW suit in suspect fabric was not a good deal. However, £550 for a half-canvassed stylish suit doesn't sound like that bad a deal.

Some info I found out is that the suits are made in Holland or Eastern Europe (the sales rep wasn't sure - lol), and at the head of it is the guy who used to run what I assume was Kilgour's attempt at MTM a couple years ago? So maybe they incorporated the process, factory etc?

Any thoughts?

020-banker

Reaction score
For half canvassed suits, TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt start around GBP200. Suit Supply is GBP200-300 off the peg. I view Reiss to be more of a fashion brand, with construction to be similar to TM/CT/SS, and a GBP100 premium tacked on top for marketing & advertising.

I think you can get into full canvassing at C&D for about GBP500. Having wrecked trousers already in an unfortunate cycling accident, I can't bring myself to spend too much on a suit.

Then again, it is bonus season...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 020-banker
For half canvassed suits, TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt start around GBP200. Suit Supply is GBP200-300 off the peg. I view Reiss to be more of a fashion brand, with construction to be similar to TM/CT/SS, and a GBP100 premium tacked on top for marketing & advertising.

I think you can get into full canvassing at C&D for about GBP500. Having wrecked trousers already in an unfortunate cycling accident, I can't bring myself to spend too much on a suit.

Then again, it is bonus season...

Reiss is garbage. It is just fashiony stuff, suits are not constructed well at all. I went into one once and as I was leaving one of the salespersons stopped me and asked me what I thought of their collection. I didn't want to be rude so I just said it wasn't for me.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with half canvassing. JeffreyD says so
tongue.gif
I'd say, go with C&D, of your options listed above.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kermitkebab
Very nice link. my friend. But that is not what you are getting in most half-canvassed suits today. You are not getting wool but cheap polyester. And it is fused. By machine. With glue. These factories are interested in saving money, not in quality tailoring. This is mass-production. By the thousands. How else could a place like PaulFrederick.com sell you a half-canvassed suit for $299 (RETAIL)? And it has a phoney canvas floating chestpiece for the lapels.

And they come from China. Of course they do that in Italy. too. And charge you $1500 retail.

Thank you cap't noob-obvious.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought there were some rules about posting a strictly commercial post outside of Buying and Selling. What has this to do with this thread?
eh.gif

lulz, noob

dirtyturk

Reaction score
lol

Thank you for the heated debate and a random advertisement. I do understand what a "half-canvassed" suit is and I haven't had a chance to do the pinch test but I don't think they are going to risk their reputation by openly lying.

To be more clear, what I wanted to ask was how do people think Reiss half canvas MtM construction will compare with that of others in the £500 category? The main alternative I am considering is Ede & Ravenscroft who I have found no other fault than being a little boring in the cut.

Wraith, btw why do you need the zeros in n00b? just curious.

thanks

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men's Clothing Discuss classic and tailored men's clothing and accessories: fashion, style, do's and don'ts From the posted heading above.
dude, don't get all worked up
smile.gif
a) I was just "piling on" tot he last poaster who called you a noob just to get a rise outta you Edit* worked like a charm b) the poast you responded to about the blatent advertisement is one of many many a bots/smappers who are on the radar's of many a members who religiously report these in the trans mod forum. chill out, bra
smile.gif

Macallan

Reaction score
I am sure Cad & Dandy can do a more fashion-forward suit for you. Speak with them and James can show you some non-conservative suits, jackets and coats.

When I started buying suits, I did try different styles, including a very fashion-forward suit from E. Armani. Never again, besides the design everything else was crap: cloth, construction, buttons, even the overlock finishing on the trouser hemming.
Reiss will be the same, if not worse.

dirtyturk

Reaction score
Thanks Macallan, this is my question exactly. Why would C&D's MtM be better than someone else's??

I agree Reiss is usually poor quality and overpriced, but on the surface all these half canvassed MtM seem all the same to me?
If you argue that it is the person taking the measurements then I would say the guy at Reiss used to work at Kilgour before. I think James used to be an accountant?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads