• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do with Victorian women's clothing from my relatives

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently come to inherit a lot of stuff, most of it from the mid late 1800s. Included in this is a bunch of women's clothing. I'm talking 3 boxes of lace, I assume, women's undergarments, velvet jackets (including one men's smoking jacket), linen dresses, and black lace jackets. What on earth should I do with this stuff? Considering it was worn by my ancestors I'd like to do something worthy with it but honestly I have no idea.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a perv, you might want to wear it under your regular clothes. Otherwise you can either sell it (ebay or to a collector of such things) or store it for sentimental reasons.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
i would like to take a look at the undergarments,.you know to see if they are legit -______-

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
some university's have design clothing design programs. You could donate and get a deduction .

they are salable to collectors.
some museums might be interested as well

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet some SFers would be interested in seeing the Men's pieces. I'm sure you could manage to sell at least the smoking jacket and such to people who would appreciate and perhaps even wear them.

As for the women's stuff, no idea. But I wouldn't throw it out.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Load them up in the back of the truck and find out where the next filming of Antique Road Show is....

Jangofett

Reaction score
You can be the next guest star in Pawn Stars?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
I bet some SFers would be interested in seeing the Men's pieces. I'm sure you could manage to sell at least the smoking jacket and such to people who would appreciate and perhaps even wear them.

As for the women's stuff, no idea. But I wouldn't throw it out.

The only problem is that the stuff is all really tiny. The women's clothes look like children's clothes and the mens look like womens. It really shows how small folks were back then and based on my family now we probably weren't smaller than average then either.

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
some university's have design clothing design programs. You could donate and get a deduction .

they are salable to collectors.
some museums might be interested as well

This is good stuff.

Originally Posted by Jangofett
You can be the next guest star in Pawn Stars?

You would not believe the stuff in this house. Basically that part of my family had two continually owned owned homes since they moved to the town in the late 1800s. So when my last relatives died there recently they had a lot of the same stuff since the beginning. I got tons of furniture, art, lamps, books, etc from that era (which coincides when with my family stopped being poor fishermen). I got a small part and it was still a 10ft uhaul truck full. Sad though since they were the last remaining relatives in that town. Now there is no one left but a bunch of headstones.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear them with pride!!!
devil.gif

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that frame it'd be perfect... I know a good taylor
bounce2.gif

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sell them for maximum profit.

Really. What else can you do? Sentimental value? Doesn't sound like you. Give them to some female relative to wear or store for sentimental value? Pffft.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any reasonable person would go and order one of those lifesize dolls and dress them up and have fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads