• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to begin drinking scotch?

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Anyone who is really serious about single malts should read this.

Don't pay any attention to the context...it's a kilt forum, and don't pay any attention to the dialogue. Just know that the author is a real expert/aficionado and everything he says in the three essays here is spot on.

Pay particular attention to his comments on ice. and his remarks about the differences in taste between the malts of different regions such as Island, Highland, Speyside, etc..

I began with Glenlivit and Glenfiddich. And I wasn't sure. I went from there to Talisker and Lagavulin and Laphroig. With side trips to Balvenie, Oban, Dalwhinnie,Caol Ila, etc. Somewhere along the line you discover your preferences. I'll still enjoy Talisker and Gelnmorangie. I really like the Macallan 18 for brunch. Laphroig Quarter Cask is my standby. But I am currently into the Ardbeg 1990 Airigh Nam Beist.

In my opinion,among good malts the best malts are old malts. As P1M says anything younger than 12 years old is going to have a pretty stiff raw grain alcohol taste. Macallan 12 is much rawer and less smooth than the 18. Applies pretty much across the board.

I've gone from the sweeter fruity Speysides with little or no peat, to the Island malts which are usually very smokey and peaty and finish quite dry, to Arbeg which is reputed to be the smokiest and peatiest of them all.

I would note one other thing...I have had gastric reflux for almost 20 years due to a small hiatal hernia. I can't drink wine, for instance. But not only can I drink a good malt without ill effects, I seldom have a hangover when I've overdone it a bit.

Read the link and good luck.

Tioraidh

Once I got past all of the crazy that link was actually really good.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinhilion
Once I got past all of the crazy that link was actually really good.
laugh.gif
I know it. That's why I kind of warned everyone. I keep going back to it time and again. Learn something new each time. The whole subtopic is pretty good especially if you stick to posts started by or dominated by Pour1Malt--he's the owner/innkeeper at Ferintosh in Dumfries. Robert Burns spent some (considerable) time there, as I understand it.

Philip1209

Reaction score
It was actually bourbon (Knob's Creek specifically) that got me into whiskey. Now scotch is one of my favorite drinks. My go-to for my friends and I when we are studying is generally Johnnie Walker Green.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
I started with Johnny Walker Black. My father had it with water, before dinner. It was my first legal alcoholic drink I had when I turned 18 I had at a bar. First bottle I bought was Jack Daniels. It was good and cheap when I was in college.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1209
when we are studying is generally Johnnie Walker Green.

Green label when studying - that's posh.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone who is really serious about single malts should read this.

Good link. Thanks.

I'm not totally surprised, DWF, but why are you on that site in the first place?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Good link. Thanks. I'm not totally surprised, DWF, but why are you on that site in the first place?
Meownself on the right and my particular friend--Al Saguto,the head shoemaker at Colonial Williamsburg--on the left. My greyhound in the background.
al_dw.jpg

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
I am also 21 and started drinking scotch mainly after the age of 19. Start at home with cheaper brands like red label,teachers,chivas regal.

Teacher's is a criminally underrated blend and excellent value for money -- highly recommended for a newb.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Meownself on the right and my particular friend--Al Saguto,the head shoemaker at Colonial Williamsburg--on the left. My greyhound in the background.

al_dw.jpg

"If it's no' Sco'ish i's kerraaaaap"

Would've liked a scotch today, but there seems to not be enough hours in a day for me.
frown.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone said:

1> Pour into glass
2> Raise glass
3> Put glass to lips
4> Pour scotch into mouth
5> Savor for a moment
6> Swallow

?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
start with single malt....skip the blended. Grab a bottle of highland park. Its been my favorite for awhile. Now ive been hitting the bourbons for a variety

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derek - have you discovered Rye yet?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
start with single malt....skip the blended. Grab a bottle of highland park. Its been my favorite for awhile.
^+100 Anytime you get the real thing being blended with what is, essentially, Everclear, you don't have any idea what is in it. It could be corn or wheat spirits, it could be potato alcohol. And you lose that marvelous and surprising quality of no (or minimal) hangover effect. Similarly with bourbons (for me at least) anytime you got residual sugars they'll burn the B vitamins out of your brain cells and dehydrate your brain. Ipso facto...hangovover.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Derek - have you discovered Rye yet?

i havent. Honestly dont know much about it or the best way to drink it....suggestions? Im always up to more drinking. haha.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
i havent. Honestly dont know much about it or the best way to drink it....suggestions? Im always up to more drinking. haha.

You can drink rye like any other whisky: neat or with a small amount of soda if its too strong for your tastes initially.

I really prefer having manhattan's made from rye than bourbon, and a rye sazerac is also another favorite, if you can stand the taste of licorice (it has a small amount of absinthe in it).

I haven't tried too many different types of rye, basically I stopped once I found (ri)1.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads