• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Low-cal booze

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that most people advise against drinking if you are trying to lose weight. Well, I'm trying to lose a little weight (~10 lbs.), but I'm simply not going to give up my booze. I'm single, and live alone. I like to have a few drinks at night while I watch TV. Gives me something to do and helps me fall asleep.

But what is the best booze to drink on a diet? What will have the least net impact on weight gain/loss?

Obviously beer is bad for this b/c it has lots of calrories and carbs.

Would vodka be a good choice b/c its clear and low-carb? Red wine b/c its supposed to be good for you in moderation?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Liquor only has about ten less calories then beer. I'm in a similar situation to you (trying aggressively to get in shape but dont wanna give up drinking) and it's just a matter of prioritizing.

I am rigorous with my diet elsewhere and realistic in my expectations. Some people cheat with pizza on occasion, i cheat with beer instituter...I also acknowledge that my results aren't gonna be as good as if I quit drinking and right now I'm ok with that. there's so many other factors for me to fix first...

privateer

Reaction score
I would switch to being more observant about how many drinks you have. If you have 2 - 3 beers when you have a drink and watch TV, switch to 1 - 2 drinks.

I would stick with beer if you like it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, drink less booze and skip the damn mixers if you use them.

tbs304

Reaction score
Vodka and Club Soda- Has the lowest cal and you can add Lime in to add flavor. Its refreshing, gets the job done.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diet club soda you mean, since most club soda had suger in it.
anyways, my rec is:
Glass. Whisky. one ice cube or a splash of water.
Repeat.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have basically done Atkins for close to 15 years. I will say that when I do Atkins sans alcohol, it is more effective. However, even with drinking what I normally drink (which is Vodka on the rocks, probably 4-5 nights a week...2-5 drinks) I can still lose weight, or maintain.

I never drink beer, unless I am just drinking one for the taste. Beer just bloats me and makes me tired before it enables me to catch a nice buzz. It also has worse effects the next day than Vodka..which burns clean and lacks carbonation.

YMMV.

Mike

D Yizz

Reaction score
What Mike said.

I dont like straight vodka, so I drink whiskey instead. If I'm mixing, I use diet everything to keep the calories low, unless I'm just having one drink. Sure, it tastes differently, but your palate gets accustomed.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was losing weight, I loved cranberry and vodka, and a bunch of other cocktails that were high in sugar. Tomato juice is probably the healthiest and lowest calorie. I dumped tonic too.

But I learnt to deal with diet coke or club soda and hard liquor. Don't go for anything like Campari, Grand Marnier, Khalua, etc. as those are higher in calories - so your basic vodka, rum, gin and whisky.

I ditched all beer but I did try some of the 60-90 calorie ones (Sleeman Clear, Michelob Ultra something, Molson 67, etc.) but you could have 2 units of hard liquor for one of those beers so I stuck with the hard liquor.

I also ditched all peanuts, bar and finger foods that you get cravings for. That was more a mental change though.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drink white wine and add a few ice cubes. But drink less to loose weight.

rabidawg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Diet club soda you mean, since most club soda had suger in it.

You're thinking of tonic, not club soda.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
This is a great thread. I too am trying to lose weight but I'll be damned if I can't drink. I don't drink beer all that often. I usually go with wine, whiskey, or scotch. However, maybe I will give vodka another try. My problem with it originally was that it tastes like nothing and goes down so easy that i get drunk really fast. and once I get drunk, if I am staying in rather than going out, I am going to get hungry, and the only way to stave off hunger is to drink more.

that said, I would suggest 100 proof vodka. These figures(which are the result of a 4 second google search so could be wrong) say you only get 14 more calories for 10 percent more alcohol.

* 1 1/2 ounces 80 proof contains 97 calories
* 1 1/2 ounces 90 proof contains 110 calories
* 1 1/2 ounces 100 proof contains 124 calories

seems like you'd get drunker and drink less calories using 100 proof.

Strombollii

Reaction score
I know my mom drinks Gin and Tonics with diet tonic whenever she's on Atkins.

I tend to try to keep alcohol calories low anyhow, so I usually drink either the same or something with as little mixer as possible (straight vodka, gimlets with a 3:1 ratio of gin:lime), but really it's always a loosing battle, especially if you're consuming a lot. Someone above mentioned cutting back, which is probably your best bet.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
This is a great thread. I too am trying to lose weight but I'll be damned if I can't drink. I don't drink beer all that often. I usually go with wine, whiskey, or scotch. However, maybe I will give vodka another try. My problem with it originally was that it tastes like nothing and goes down so easy that i get drunk really fast. and once I get drunk, if I am staying in rather than going out, I am going to get hungry, and the only way to stave off hunger is to drink more.

that said, I would suggest 100 proof vodka. These figures(which are the result of a 4 second google search so could be wrong) say you only get 14 more calories for 10 percent more alcohol.

* 1 1/2 ounces 80 proof contains 97 calories
* 1 1/2 ounces 90 proof contains 110 calories
* 1 1/2 ounces 100 proof contains 124 calories

seems like you'd get drunker and drink less calories using 100 proof.

Actually, it should be the same either way - and according to that, its more than 10% more calories.

And okay, I might be thinking of tonic water. Don't know, don't drink it, just know that one thing people think is "healthy" is just as bad as regular pop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads