• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breath new life to a 4x1 DB

hollyb

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and I am looking for some guidance.

I have an old 4 on 1 DB made of great material. It is fused however, I rarely use it so it still looks immaculate. I was wondering if I can get it altered into a 6 on 2 DB? Having searched the forum, I gather that making it into a single breasted suit is not worth the effort (I believe the jury is still out if it is even technically possible).

I'm all for giving it away to goodwill or salvation army, I'd rather give it away than wreck it.

Thanks.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The world needs more 4x1 DBs.

hollyb

Reaction score
Thanks... I feel though it looks a bit dated as it goes in and out of style. If I can make it 6x2 I feel it would make it more timeless.

Matt S

Reaction score
It can't effectively be changed to a 6x2 because the button stance is probably too low. I agree that they look outdated, a relic of the 80s. If the button stance is higher than usual it can look okay, like if the bottom row of buttons is up closer to the waist. In the 80s and 90s they were just about always made with no vents and jetted pockets, though they won't look quite as bad if they have side vents and pocket flaps. The jackets were usually also paired with double (occasionally triple) reverse pleated trousers. If the trousers are flat front or have forward pleats that will help too.

hollyb

Reaction score
I can live with the pleat on the trousers, it's just the jacket. Thanks for both your comments, I guess I"ll be sending it over to goodwill/salvation army.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
If the trousers are flat front or have forward pleats that will help too.

Have you ever worn a double-breasted jacket? The front of the pants is covered by the jacket. The trousers could have quintuple pleats, and no one would know.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Have you ever worn a double-breasted jacket? The front of the pants is covered by the jacket. The trousers could have quintuple pleats, and no one would know.

I have a number of double-breasted suits. Pleats aren't seen when a singe-breasted jacket is closed either. Flat front trousers, forward pleat trouses and reverse pleat trousers are all cut differently down to the knee, and in come cases down to the bottom. That's one reason why reverse pleats cannot be effectively converted to forward pleats, and it's more difficult to convert forward pleats to flat front than it is from reverse pleats to flat front. The line of the leg changes slightly depending on the type of pleats or lack of them. I think one would notice a difference between quadruple reverse pleats and double forward pleats even if the pleats can't be seen. The bagginess in the trousers that was popular 20 years ago that accompanied the 4x1 and 6x1 double-breasted jackets is something that might look odd in today's slim-fit craze (though do I prefer baggy over skin-tight).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
keep it the way it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads