• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any love for this SC fabric?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working up the courage to order my first custom sport coat. I've picked out a fabric that I really like and that seems like it could go with just about anything. But I just don't trust myself to judge the utility and versatility of specific fabrics, patterns, and colors. I'm thinking about a fairly casual 2-button SC with notch lapels and patch pockets.

Here's a pic of the swatch. Does this seem like a good choice in your opinion?

Swatch1.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not bad.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems a bit washed out. I think you have the right idea picking up colors ( Khaki, brown, blue, rust, black) that can be coordinated with a lot of basics. Maybe it is just a personal preference but I think most people look best in winter clothing with more contrast so that they don't look washed out.

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not crazy about it ... just doesn't strike me as interesting enough, nor soporific enough. If you're picking cloth to make something of, I think you can do better.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it, however for your first sport coat with any sort of pattern I would suggest with going with something a little more simple. What I usually do is lay the fabric that I am considering on my shoulder so I can try to get an idea of how it would look, maybe it will help you figure out what do.

-LR

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate dealing with swatches, and internet pics are just as bad when it comes to fabric. Does your tailor have any bolts in stock? I find those far more helpful.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like it much more without the orange/red lines in it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Not crazy about it ... just doesn't strike me as interesting enough, nor soporific enough. If you're picking cloth to make something of, I think you can do better.

What he said

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot, i think that (provided the colors are accurate) it would prove to be very versatile
smile.gif

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TB - browns and blues are always nice, however this is fairly somber. Like someone said, not seasonally versatile as a first bespoke/mtm patterned SC. i'd go for something with some more beige or light brown in it to allow it to be worn all seasons. this looks like a pretty "fall-ish" fabric. The blue may allow you to get away with it in the summer, but the blue with some more beige/light brown will really set it off.

also considering that it sounds like you would be commissioning it soon, i am thinking it would be done just about when winter would be gone/early spring, which means you probably wont get a lot of wear out of it before its summer and its time for summer fabrics.

also agree with the points raised by Rob. if you can get a bolt of the fabric, you can get a better idea of how it will most likely look like in the end. swatches can be very deceptive sometimes.

i like the configuration choices btw. good luck with the commission.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It does look a little washed out, but then, so does the wood. So it might be the pic.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a somber pattern. And I like the overall dark tone -- can see that with tan or gray trou or some nice wheat cords.

That said, it vexes my colorblindness -- can't really see the orange and red, so take my comments for what they're worth.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I hate dealing with swatches, and internet pics are just as bad when it comes to fabric. Does your tailor have any bolts in stock? I find those far more helpful.
agreed

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
I like it, however for your first sport coat with any sort of pattern I would suggest with going with something a little more simple.

-LR

This. Start slow, then work up to something more complex.
smile.gif

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
i have a length of that for a SC. linen/ silk/ wool blend and its beautiful IRL. while its quite versatile id agree that its probably not the best choice for your first commission. its also much more saturated IRL.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked at this from 15 ft. away, and I think it's a little bolder than the other posters think it's going to be. The window pane looks like it's going to be fairly prominent. I think it will make up very nicely.

That said, it probably wouldnt be my choice for a first run at a bespoke SC. I'm going through a bit of deliberation on this right now for suiting and here's my reasoning. First, if things go well, you're going to want something you can wear a lot, both for enjoyment and due diligence. Bold windowpanes are very memorable, and I feel a little conspicuous wearing that type of jacket more than 1-2x/month. A more basic and versatile fabric will allow for a wider range of applications, which will give you a much better chance at determining what you like and don't like about it. Then you will be in a position to give better feedback to revise your pattern for the next commissions.

Secondly, for younger guys rocking the bolder "old man" patterns and fabrics, I think the fit and cut is critically important to being able to pull them off with confidence. And you have a better shot at an impeccible fit once you have worked out the kinks in your first couple of commissions. A bold pattern on something that fits extremely well projects the image of a very sophisticated, experienced dressers who is deliberate and daring in his selections. An adventurous pattern on something that doesn't fit well says that you're making do with what you can thrift or inherit from dead relatives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics