• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Coat appropriate for Chicago winter?

JFW1

Reaction score
I'm moving to Chicago and February, will be living downtown, and will have a 15 minute walk to work. What is an appropriate, yet warm enough, coat to wear to work? I work at an accounting firm and wear business casual. Don't want to get into sweaters

I have a full length RL wool/cashmere coat, but it just isn't warm enough for when it is really windy and below 30.

I was thinking about a down filled coat from Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear, such as these:

http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-mens...n-jacket-black

http://www.zappos.com/product/7645331/color/3

What do you think about these options? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
like neither.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JFW1;3873331 I have a full length RL wool/cashmere coat said:
Below 30? or below -30? 30F isn't cold. If an overcoat is too cold for you at 30F you're going to spend most of the year inside
plain.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Below 30? or below -30? 30F isn't cold. If an overcoat is too cold for you at 30F you're going to spend most of the year inside
plain.gif

You've not experienced downtown Chicago winter winds then. COming from Minneosta I can agree that 30F isn't cold... until you hit those 40mph gales that blow through the loop and peel your hide off.

Vcook

Reaction score
Adding a sweater and a scarf seems like the easiest solution, that's what I did for my brief walk from the train station over to my office this morning(temps in the teens in chicago this morning, windy), and what I'll do most of the season.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You've not experienced downtown Chicago winter winds then. COming from Minneosta I can agree that 30F isn't cold... until you hit those 40mph gales that blow through the loop and peel your hide off.

So what happens when it hits 0 and that wind is still blowing?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
So what happens when it hits 0 and that wind is still blowing?

You take a cab door to door or you get an arctic parka. Oh and 0 with 40 mph winds isn't anywhere near as bad as it gets in Chicago. I remember a few days of -15 to -20 with gale winds coming off the lake. About 5 minutes of that and you'll have a new perspective of what cold is.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canada Goose.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get a short jacket. You will want to cover your rear.

Chicago might be the best place in the US to buy a nice, warm coat. They know what it is all about. Any chance you will visit there soon and can check out retailers for coats?

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
You take a cab door to door or you get an arctic parka. Oh and 0 with 40 mph winds isn't anywhere near as bad as it gets in Chicago. I remember a few days of -15 to -20 with gale winds coming off the lake. About 5 minutes of that and you'll have a new perspective of what cold is.

lol, today definitely was the first cold blast we've had to deal with. I really really wish I had brought a scarf.

hat, gloves, scarf and a warm sweater can get you through most of the winter. There are definitely some moments where it simply exceeds any reasonable efforts.

JFW1

Reaction score
@ pocketsquare guy: Yes, I will be visiting in two weeks for apartment shopping, and the trip can double for coat shopping. What do you suggest?

Let's say I can wear my current overcoat down to x degrees with scarf and gloves-without trying to argue the subjective topic of what is "cold." Once it gets too cold (for me) for the overcoat, is it acceptable to go with a down filled coat (non "bubble" style) and if not, what is a good alternative?

Thanks!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFW1
@ pocketsquare guy: Yes, I will be visiting in two weeks for apartment shopping, and the trip can double for coat shopping. What do you suggest?

Let's say I can wear my current overcoat down to x degrees with scarf and gloves-without trying to argue the subjective topic of what is "cold." Once it gets too cold (for me) for the overcoat, is it acceptable to go with a down filled coat (non "bubble" style) and if not, what is a good alternative?

Thanks!

There will be at least a few days when you, or anyone else for that matter, won't care how you look as long as you're warm. I'd certainly consider the down filled coat. Look around on your next trip to Chicago, you'll see lots of options to try on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads