• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty sure creeps like you arent welcome in public anyway, so we really have nothing to worry about

that_80s_guy

Reaction score
ahh the inevitable internet forum poo-flinging! is there anything else quite so entertaining?!

As for what to wear on the weekend, suits are completely inappropriate (I cop **** at work for wearing a tie, not sure when the tie starting to imply someone was a homosexual but heads up for everyone, apparently it is...).
Weekends are purely the domain of Tapout clothing. Preferably unironed and worn when drinking beer or if one is overweight (the obvious purpose of an brand that sponsers athletes). If you are going out, then you should put on something more appropriate, perhaps some Ed Hardy or any other brand that features skulls on their clothing. If you are going somewhere "pretty flash", anything from Tarrocash would be fine, you cant go wrong with a black shirt, but for god's sake roll up the sleeves and dont iron it thoroughly. What are you, a poof?? And while we are on black shirts, they are perfectly acceptable during the day also. Make sure you leave at least 3 buttons undone.
Footwear is easy - make it either excessively gaudy or in high contrast to whatever pants you are wearing, you cant go wrong with white or creme when wearing black pants/shirt combo. Big square toes that are arched at least an inch off the ground at the front are perfect. Basically if it can be had at Betts & Betts for $79 you should be right.
If the evening is more casual, any of the generic chinese fashion sneakers are fine, Harbour Town is your friend here.
If you find yourself stuck (i.e. your ***** of a wife put all of your Tapout gear in the wash by accident), any asian beer shirt is the default go-to. Bintang, Singha, etc. Shirts with hilarious slogans also work (e.g. "I'm the one your mother warned you about", "I have a massive wang" etc).

If you MUST wear "business clothes" to work, it should be exclusively black trousers with excessive break. The shinier the trousers, the better. Mix these with any of your fancy "going out shoes" and a black shirt, and you are golden (but dont wear gold, ***).

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
pretty sure creeps like you arent welcome in public anyway, so we really have nothing to worry about

charlesatlas.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my suit back from Katrina's. Was quite shocked when I took the suit in and they proceeded with putting so many pins in it. I was thinking "Does it really need so much adjusting?" Well I got my answer and its a yes. The suit fits and looks completely different to my beater work suit which I did not bother with adjustments other than the standard sleeve shortening.

I might need to take the pants back to shorten it another 1cm and they are willing to do it or other ones free of charge until I am satisfied with what they have done.

To some people the man who I spoke with and who appears to the owner may seem a bit rude at first but its mostly the language skills and him being a little rough around the edges - he's quite a decent bloke actually.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Spot on
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by that_80s_guy
ahh the inevitable internet forum poo-flinging! is there anything else quite so entertaining?!

As for what to wear on the weekend, suits are completely inappropriate (I cop **** at work for wearing a tie, not sure when the tie starting to imply someone was a homosexual but heads up for everyone, apparently it is...).
Weekends are purely the domain of Tapout clothing. Preferably unironed and worn when drinking beer or if one is overweight (the obvious purpose of an brand that sponsers athletes). If you are going out, then you should put on something more appropriate, perhaps some Ed Hardy or any other brand that features skulls on their clothing. If you are going somewhere "pretty flash", anything from Tarrocash would be fine, you cant go wrong with a black shirt, but for god's sake roll up the sleeves and dont iron it thoroughly. What are you, a poof?? And while we are on black shirts, they are perfectly acceptable during the day also. Make sure you leave at least 3 buttons undone.
Footwear is easy - make it either excessively gaudy or in high contrast to whatever pants you are wearing, you cant go wrong with white or creme when wearing black pants/shirt combo. Big square toes that are arched at least an inch off the ground at the front are perfect. Basically if it can be had at Betts & Betts for $79 you should be right.
If the evening is more casual, any of the generic chinese fashion sneakers are fine, Harbour Town is your friend here.
If you find yourself stuck (i.e. your ***** of a wife put all of your Tapout gear in the wash by accident), any asian beer shirt is the default go-to. Bintang, Singha, etc. Shirts with hilarious slogans also work (e.g. "I'm the one your mother warned you about", "I have a massive wang" etc).

If you MUST wear "business clothes" to work, it should be exclusively black trousers with excessive break. The shinier the trousers, the better. Mix these with any of your fancy "going out shoes" and a black shirt, and you are golden (but dont wear gold, ***).

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
Because we are in Australia and WWC Is in HK

i wish they would do trip here...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Spot on
laugh.gif

Surprisingly and frighteningly accurate...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Modern average suburban young Aussie going out clobber in a nutshell...if in Bali try to make even these instructions less formal and display tatts aka "Ink" as much s possible via wifebeater navy blue singlet...

ZengaGent

Reaction score
Don't post much these days, but mate... this is pretty lol-worthy!!
laugh.gif

(Always wondered how many of these 'Tapout' enthusiasts actually practice MMA, BJJ, wrestling, or any other grappling-centric arts?)

mickey711

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
charlesatlas.jpg

Why must one conform to a concept of masculinity defined in a 1940s comic book advertisement?

Home run.
lol8[1].gif

I spent a few months in Australia earlier this year, and was quite surprised at the atrocious taste in clothing most men there have as well as the egregiously inflated prices at which the clothing retails for.

On a related note, I despise General Pants - it's like a much pricier Urban Outfitters with even more obnoxious SAs.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The AGE
Outfitter to PMs ready to serve Gillard
Carolyn Webb
December 7, 2010

HENRY Bucks might be a menswear store but staff of the exclusive clothier say Julia Gillard's gender need not end its run of providing suits for Australian prime ministers.

Managing director Tim Cecil, the great-grandson of company founder Henry Buck, says he would be happy to take Ms Gillard's call, should she require a smart outfit for a meeting with the Obamas or Oprah.

He admits that when Ms Gillard was elevated to the top job in June, he thought it was curtains for the tradition that started in the early 1900s with Henry Buck and wife Laura's shirt shop in Swanston Street patronised by top politicians when Federal Parliament sat in Melbourne.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Mr Cecil says Sir Robert Menzies (PM 1939-41 and 1949-66) was a ''constant shopper'' at Bucks, which now has four Melbourne stores and others in Adelaide and Sydney. Paul Keating bought Zegna suits from Bucks and Kevin Rudd bought ties.

The only PM's custom Henry Bucks had missed in Mr Cecil's memory was Gough Whitlam, whose height (194 centimetres) made him ''a made-to-measure man''.

''But then we dressed Malcolm Fraser all his life and we do now, and he was big, too.''

But with the rise of Julia Gillard, ''at first I thought, 'we might miss out on this one. I suppose we can't dress them all, we shouldn't be too greedy'.''

After some thought, however, he now is confident he wouldn't have to direct her to a women's boutique.

''In the mid-1960s I was working for a shop in London, Turnbull and Asser in Jermyn Street, which used to clothe Katharine Hepburn, who loved to wear men's clothes,'' Mr Cecil says. ''I was her personal assistant every time she came in. She had shirts, trousers and jackets made for her. She liked quite mannish clothes - well tailored, well made, though not severe.

''She liked men's fabrics - shirting fabrics, and Turnbull and Asser were famous as a shirt maker; like Bucks they had expanded from a shirt-making base.

''I could probably dress Julia Gillard similarly because from what I see of her she does wear rather similar clothes - jackets and shirts and trousers. Tailored clothing; it tends to suit her.''

Mr Cecil says although Henry Bucks is ''essentially a men's outfitter'' and doesn't make dresses, its master tailor does on occasion make specially ordered tailored women's suits and shirts.

''If Julia calls, we will summon all our energy and dress her beautifully. If she rang ... I'd have my tape measure ready. I'd love to meet her. I think she's a very impressive woman.''

from todays AGE - shameless self promotion

Dellath

Reaction score
Even though the Herald Sun is the evil devil spawn of Australian printed media, it's articles like the one above that make me loathe The Age. Where the Herald Sun is fear mongering, The Age float countless ridiculous articles about weightloss, superfoods, supposed "hot" clothing trends that all stem from Myer/David Jones, boring hipsters who are currently wowing the world culturally from inner city Melbourne and gossip puff pieces celebrities who are actually down to earth.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dellath
Even though the Herald Sun is the evil devil spawn of Australian printed media, it's articles like the one above that make me loathe The Age. Where the Herald Sun is fear mongering, The Age float countless ridiculous articles about weightloss, superfoods, supposed "hot" clothing trends that all stem from Myer/David Jones, boring hipsters who are currently wowing the world culturally from inner city Melbourne and gossip puff pieces celebrities who are actually down to earth.

The AGE thinks Melbourne's border is Thornbury to north, Elwood to south, Hawthorn/Richmond east, and Yarraville/Footscray west.

Everyone beyond that inner square is sneered at as a suburban mcmansion yob. No wonder they are sinking down the tubes and the CEO has resigned because Fairfax is going broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads