• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenos

Reaction score
Two mother lodes today: Carroll & Co. made in England sportcoats (double vents, surgeon's cuffs, etc., pick stitching) and, at a separate spot, eight or nine Borrelli and Isaia shirts. Unfortunately, all were just a shade too large for me. Rotten luck but did help to keep hope alive. Picked up three ties: Aquascutum, Harrod's and Rex Men's Shop (Beverly Hills Hotel); and a Lorenzini cream-colored linen shirt. ETA, Nataku, those boots certainly look like elephant to me. They have the same pattern and texture as my boots.

illeagle

Reaction score
over the past couple days

Burberry (recent) trench coat with detachable wool novacheck lining... no stains or tears, but for whatever reason the cuff on both sleeves was detached from the lining and the toggles on both cuffs were in a pocket with the buckle for it but the closure pin (whatever it's called) was taken off the buckle... i will prob flip it even though it fits because i don't feel like fixing it up... was $15

IMG_4043.jpg
IMG_4066.jpg
IMG_4045.jpg

dolce & gabbana black peak lapel suit... pants have single hole on the top back which shouldn't be hard to fix...also missing the outer closure button but that's another easy fix... jacket seems to have a bit of shine from dry cleaners but nothing too bad... some sweat stains on pants (eww) and jacket sleeve lining...will flip and hopefully make the $8 i spent on the suit worth it

zegna (old but mainline) wool & raw silk suit... jacket has a brown mark on the front which i assume is a burn mark from being pressed... it's fully canvassed and has pick stitching so i thought it was worth picking up... also $8

a brooks brothers blazer and an easy-to-match orphan for $4 each... and a pink faconnable thick v-neck wool sweater with button gussets (thom browne steez) for my gf for $3

not bad for under $45 all together

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Who was the maker? I'm between a 44 R and L.

I honestly don't recall. They were very long, though. Longer than I wear, and I'm 6'3".

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I stopped in at Winners today (Winners is like the Canadian version of TJ Maxx in the U.S.) and found a so-called sevenfold tie from a brand called Burma Bibas in an eggplant purple.

I've never heard of this brand (more on this later) . . . but the tie, I thought, can't possibly be a sevenfold for only $40 retail and now reduced to $19.99.

I examined it and the tag declared it was made in China
plain.gif

It was not a sevenfold; rather, it was a rather inferior sixfold.

Hell, for $19.99, I cannot complain much, I thought. I bought it.

Later, I googled Burma Bibas and discovered it's a brand that is available at Nordstrom's and Saks Fifth Avenue!
smile.gif
worship.gif

As I continued my googling, I discovered, MUCH to my dismay, that Burma Bibas is ALSO available at The Men's Wearhouse.
baldy[1].gif

Well, it would seem I got a licensed Burma Bibas tie from The Men's Wearhouse and not the real McCoy from Nordstrom's or Saks Fifth Avenue. But, then again, what the hell did I expect for $19.99 and made in China?

AFAIK, the Burma Bibas sold at Nordstrom/Bloomies/etc is the same sold at Men's Wearhouse. The stuff isn't that nice, in my opinion. I've seen a lot of their shirts and my fair share of their ties in thrifts over the years. Their shirts look to be on par with other stuff sold at that price-point ($60-ish for a shirt).

Originally Posted by Metlin
Ha! I've found Burma Bibas ties at Filene's and TJ Maxx anywhere from 3-10 bucks a pop. I remember asking on here if they were true 7 fold (and realizing that they were not). Anyway, in the past, I've bought a bunch of 'em as gifts for less discerning friends. =)

I took a really good look today at the folded blades of this Burma Bibas fake sevenfold tie and that's exactly what it is: a fake sevenfold. It's just a run-of-the-mill "cut and sewn" tie but with just the blades at both ends of the tie folded just to make the whole tie look like a sevenfold. THIS TIE IS DEFINITELY NOT MADE from one large piece of silk folded over and unto itself seven times.

Very deceptive effing bullshit.

It's a piece of crap.

I would take it back for a refund if I hadn't already taken off the price ticket.

Phukk.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice Burberry trench! I don't think that's from the actual Prorsum line. I'm pretty sure any actual Prorsum line items don't have "London" on the label. Still, that's an awesome find!
Originally Posted by Xenos
Two mother lodes today: Carroll & Co. made in England sportcoats (double vents, surgeon's cuffs, etc., pick stitching) and, at a separate spot, eight or nine Borrelli and Isaia shirts. Unfortunately, all were just a shade too large for me. Rotten luck but did help to keep hope alive. Picked up three ties: Aquascutum, Harrod's and Rex Men's Shop (Beverly Hills Hotel); and a Lorenzini cream-colored linen shirt. ETA, Nataku, those boots certainly look like elephant to me. They have the same pattern and texture as my boots.
Did you grab those Isaia/Borrelli shirts? What size were they? As for the leather, yeah, I've compared to other close-up shots of Elephant and I'm sure that's it.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I took a really good look today at the folded blades of this Burma Bibas fake sevenfold tie and that's exactly what it is: a fake sevenfold. It's just a run-of-the-mill "cut and sewn" tie but with just the blades at both ends of the tie folded just to make the whole tie look like a sevenfold. THIS TIE IS DEFINITELY NOT MADE from one large piece of silk folded over and unto itself seven times.

Very deceptive effing bullshit.

It's a piece of crap.

I would take it back for a refund if I hadn't already taken off the price ticket.

Phukk.

Ebay, B&S, or a great Christmas gift for a particular "friend" that you're oh-so-fond-of.
devil.gif

illeagle

Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice Burberry trench! I don't think that's from the actual Prorsum line. I'm pretty sure any actual Prorsum line items don't have "London" on the label. Still, that's an awesome find!

ah ok yeah i think you're right... i forgot that non-prorsum stuff says it on the flag also... but yeah still a very fortunate find

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two mother lodes today: Carroll & Co. made in England sportcoats (double vents, surgeon's cuffs, etc., pick stitching)
Check the maker's tag on the inside left pocket - if there is one. That could very well be made by Chester Barrie. I thrifted a heavy weight glen plaid suit made by Chester Barrie for Carroll & Co. One of my favorite thrifted items. Also, I went back and the two remaining Partito sportcoats were still there so I grabbed them, making a total of 5 all together. Four of them are in super soft cashmere fabrics, very high quality, and the fifth is a donegal tweed. Three of the cashmere SC's are various houndstooth patterns/colors, and the fourth is a solid very light grey. The donegal is a muted blue with red and white specks. All 5 SC's are at the tailors getting minor adjustments. I know Partito is little known around here, or at least not mentioned much, and not much is found on the web about him either. But I can say that his tailoring is among the finest I've seen, certainly rivaling any of the best RTW (Kiton, etc.) as well as bespoke. As far as I have been able to find out, he is basically a one man operation, making every piece by hand, by himself, or with some assistance from his wife. He has a few very wealthy clients, and his wait times are very long (6 months or more). Suits start at $4k. Anyway, these SC's have been among my very best thrift finds ever. As soon as I get them back from the tailor I'll post some photos to highlight the skillful tailoring. And for dessert I found a NWT Brunello Cuccinelli tan summer suit in a super light and airy 100% cotton with a muted herringbone weave in my size. My first Cuccinelli, and it fills a gaping hole in my wardrobe, a summer suit for summer weddings/events. Yay! Almost forgot - two PRL sportcoats, one an alpaca tweed with patch pockets and collar tab, and another in plaid cashmere/cotton blend with ticket pocket. Both aren't my size, and I'll be adding them to my B&S thread later today.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two mother lodes today: Carroll & Co. made in England sportcoats (double vents, surgeon's cuffs, etc., pick stitching) and, at a separate spot, eight or nine Borrelli and Isaia shirts.

Unfortunately, all were just a shade too large for me. Rotten luck but did help to keep hope alive.

What size are the sportcoats? Pics? I may be interested, purchase or trade if they fit.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Also, I went back and the two remaining Partito sportcoats were still there so I grabbed them, making a total of 5 all together. .

Pics?

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
What size are the sportcoats? Pics? I may be interested, purchase or trade if they fit.

No pics, unfortunately.

One was a navy blazer, size 42R, gold buttons embossed with owner's initials;

another was grey with faint blue windowpane, surgeon's cuffs, seemed to fit me (generally, 40R), but the back under the collar bunched up (maybe my back isn't as broad or built-up as the original owner's?), seemed to be custom as had a tag on the inside pocket with all the specs, e.g., "surgeon's cuffs, slope shoulder by .5", etc., very interesting;

another was a houndstooth double-breasted, dark brown with lines of blue, red, and other colors I've forgotten; not actually a great color combo, but, had it fit, I may have gotten it for $15;

and a few others I can't remember now. All were seemingly in the 40-42 range.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt

And for dessert I found a NWT Brunello Cuccinelli tan summer suit in a super light and airy 100% cotton with a muted herringbone weave in my size. My first Cuccinelli, and it fills a gaping hole in my wardrobe, a summer suit for summer weddings/events. Yay!

worship.gif
worship.gif

That's insane! And NWT to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads