• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please recommend a pair of comfortable shoes

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a wedding tonight and realized that I need a more comfortable shoe for occasions that require standing for long periods of time. I wore a pair of AE and my feet were hurting all night. I've tried adding inserts and this helps a little, but not very much. I'm looking for a shoe that's versatile, something that could be worn with a suit or slacks. I don't want an interview/business type of shoe, but rather something that could be worn outside of the office, or perhaps in the office for business casual. Would like to stay under $500.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
This might not be the answer you were looking for, however what will help you, is a shoe that fits you properly, which apparently your AE does not. Since AE are a perfectly fine brand it's probably just not a match made in heaven between your feet and that particular pair. In well-fitting shoes you should be able to stand for an entire day or longer without any pain.

There will be no other way than to try on different shoes in the, say 300 to 500 USD brackett until you've found one that you're happy with. There should be lots of shoes available there. C&J, AS, Trickers, Barker just to name some of the more well-known English brands...

Good luck with your search.
Reto

retozimmermann

Reaction score
PS: Just quickly on the word "comfortable": If by comfortable you want to say soft as in trainer shoe, then your likely to be ending up with a shoe that gives your feet and muscles less support and thereby will lead to either more pain or other problems in the long run.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
This might not be the answer you were looking for, however what will help you, is a shoe that fits you properly, which apparently your AE does not. Since AE are a perfectly fine brand it's probably just not a match made in heaven between your feet and that particular pair. In well-fitting shoes you should be able to stand for an entire day or longer without any pain.

There will be no other way than to try on different shoes in the, say 300 to 500 USD brackett until you've found one that you're happy with. There should be lots of shoes available there. C&J, AS, Trickers, Barker just to name some of the more well-known English brands...

Good luck with your search.
Reto

The shoe fits me great. Most traditional, hard-soled shoes like the AE PA are not going to be comfortable if you're standing on concrete for 7 hours - I don't care how great they fit. My gf is a pharmacist and she's on her feet all day, and has tried everything and finally settled on Mephisto - but their shoes could never been worn unless you are going for 100% comfort and 0 style.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want something on the more causal side, how about rubber soled (gasp!) ferragamo or Tods?
I have a few pairs of each and they are by far the most comfortable shoes that I own. I've sold off most of my "high end" shoes (Alden, Trickers, Lobbs...) b/c I never wore them in favor of my ferragamos/Tods.

latkaguy

Reaction score
I have a pair of Mephisto slip-ons that are suitable for business casual but are not exactly the last word in fashion. I can stand in them happily all day, and they get a lot of use. Other than that, the most comfortable shoes that I have are custom made -- if you really want some fashion and comfort, that is your safest bet. Being able to do this for under $500 is going to be some trick to accomplish unless you are in a place like Hong Kong though.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Did you try a cushy kind of insert or one with real support? You may need the latter.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by latkaguy
I have a pair of Mephisto slip-ons that are suitable for business casual but are not exactly the last word in fashion. I can stand in them happily all day, and they get a lot of use. Other than that, the most comfortable shoes that I have are custom made -- if you really want some fashion and comfort, that is your safest bet. Being able to do this for under $500 is going to be some trick to accomplish unless you are in a place like Hong Kong though.

Mephisto would probably be the most comfortable, but most of the styles are pretty bad. This potential shoe would also be worn out at night with slacks, where (at least in fl) nobody ever looks at your shoes, and it's dark/crowded - so comfort would take priority over style. I'm at the point where if I know I'm going to be on my feet all night, I'll gladly sacrifice style for comfort.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads