• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Cup 2018/2022

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder why this is such an emotional matter? It's after all just about which boring country gets the right to host the World Cup, not to lift the trophy.

After FIFA decides who gets to win these World Cups, the discussion will be a lot more interesting.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
After FIFA decides who gets to win these World Cups, the discussion will be a lot more interesting.
This is exactly what its about already: http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE64F0UC20100516 That was the Chief of the FA who stepped down a few months ago after claiming the Russians and Spanish were trying to bribe referees at the last finals. The Chairman went yesterday. At the moment the FA has no Chairman or Chief Executive, with the implicit suggestion being that anyone who fills those roles must be prepared to deal with a corrupt world governing body.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What does this decision mean to me? That my efforts to try and attend Brazil '14 are now doubled.

Cotillion

Reaction score
What an awful pick for a World Cup. Qatar had by far the weakest bid of any country in 2018 or 2022 but, they have buckets of oil money to pay off the FIFA voters. Wall Street Journal speculated that Qatar payed 80 million of debt for the Argentinian Football Association although of course Grondona denied any payoff.

Qatar has never qualified for a WC and never hosted a major sporting event. They have to build an entirely new infrastructure, anywhere outside and not air conditioned is going to be brutally hot, they typically do not allow alcohol, etc. Absolutely disgusting that Qatar got a World Cup.

This was obviously a corrupt (and idiotic) purely political decision with no basis in quality of the bids as both America and Australia were much more deserving and qualified to host the Cup than Qatar.

philee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by svelten
Ouch, what happened to San Jose? They're a pretty new team too, sort of.

If by sort of you mean that they existed for a while then had the team move to houston and then a few years later have the current incarnation pop up then ya you're right. It's also interesting that they had attendance plummet while they had one of their best runs in a while. Probably since their last MLS championship run.

Cotillion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
By the way, saying that NOBODY cares about soccer in the US is a bunch of BS.
Indeed. Pubs in San Francisco and Los Angeles were packed at 4am and 7am this summer (by Americans not just ex-pat Brits and Germans) to watch the games. I am sure other cities on the eastern seaboard or great lakes were the same.
Originally Posted by embowafa
When you say that I pretend like MLS is the NHL, I'm not. I'm saying MLS isn't even as popular as the NHL, and it won't be.
I just want to point out that MLS attendance is not a measure of how popular soccer is in the USA. Many soccer fans in America are still much bigger supporters of European teams than MLS teams. I pay almost zero attention to the MLS but I watch my team Arsenal all the time and also watch Champions League every year. I probably watch more random matches from the Bundesliga than I do MLS.
Originally Posted by word
Where I grew up (rich white suburbia) many of the kids played soccer, including me. I'm sure most rich white kids who were born in the early 80s played soccer at some point in their early life. And there were no chicos around this city either.
Its not just "rich kids". If you count girls and boys, I believe that youth soccer (thanks to AYSO from the 1970s) is the sport played by the most American children by quite a substantial margin.

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotillion

Its not just "rich kids".

If you count girls and boys, I believe that youth soccer (thanks to AYSO from the 1970s) is the sport played by the most American children by quite a substantial margin.

Have you seen a youth soccer game? 20 kids chasing the ball in one herd. Not quite MLS, definitely not Europa league level of play.
tounge.gif

UrbanBard

Reaction score
The same can be said about pop-warner football, it's nothing like the the NFL.

The strange thing about soccer in America is that there are so many youth players who drop the sport. Their youthful passion is never converted to adult interest, in the form of going to MLS games or even watching the ESPN 2 broadcasts.

I think that as more european game become easily viewable in the USA, the glamor of the game will be exposed, and support will follow. Most American sports fans respect the World Cup, but may not realize that club soccer in Europe (at the highest levels) is superior. Just my two cents.

Anyways... Is it time to start forging alcohol licences and smuggling beer into Qutar?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
In your dreams
Originally Posted by embowafa
Yeah...ok. The US doesn't produce the vast majority of popular culture/media for worldwide consumption.
rolleyes.gif

I think you made my point for me.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should have gotten it, of course.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
We should have gotten it, of course.

Punishment for cheating against the Slovaks this summer.
teacha.gif

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise

as hosts don't have to qualify their teams it will be REALLY funny how qatar loses 3 games in a row during world cup qualifying for finals and then puts an end to the games ..

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Punishment for cheating against the Slovaks this summer.
teacha.gif

The Dutch?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Yes.

Must have repressed that. I just read a match report that stated the Slowaks got a present penalty. It was a Dutch report, though... What happened?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads