• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke wearers - Pls post pis of yourselves in RTW

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Could some of our senior members who currently wear exclusively/ predominantly bespoke suits / SCs post some pics of themselves in RTW.

Best regards

AJ

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1115120284_bc43U-XL.jpg

1115120264_zLjfc-X2.jpg

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No..

I'm too ashamed to be seen in public wearing RTW...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Hi

Could some of our senior members who currently wear exclusively/ predominantly bespoke suits / SCs post some pics of themselves in RTW.

Best regards

AJ

That presumes such members have any RTW - I personally do not.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi

For those of us who wear exclusively bespoke suits ... where do you expect us to find RTW.

BTW ... what is RTW?
devil.gif

That said ... I do have a small amount of RTW. Several of my favorite coats & overcoats are RTW. But with a few AAAC exceptions -- way back when -- I don't post photos of myself on the Internet. However, I might consider photographing some of the garments without me wearing them.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The attitude of "bespoke is the be all end all" is something I'd like to see change. At one stage I was very much about bespoke and almost scoffing at anything that wasn't bespoke but as my experience grew and my style developed, I noticed a lot of really great things being made by certain makers that wouldn't necessarily be available via bespoke because of the style of the silhouette or the exclusiveness of the cloth or just certain interesting design features. Certainly this is an attitude I've tried to present in The Armoury where we try to make sure everyone has "their own thing" because they do that "thing" very well. I wouldn't ask WW Chan to make a Ring Jacket or a La Vera Sartoria Napoletana and I wouldn't ask them to make a WW Chan. It's important to accept that some makers' garments just won't fit you no matter how much you wish they would. On the other hand, you will come across garments you like and that fit you very nicely with minimal alterations. Give them a try and accept them for what they are, rather than limit yourself with a bespoke-only attitude. It takes time, effort and skill to develop a garment, you might as well enjoy someone else work sometimes, too. And pix:
YFYF-2010-07-05-re.jpg
yfyf-2009-04-23-re.jpg
YFYF-2010-09-29-re.jpg
yfyf-2009-05-27-re.jpg
yfyf-2008-10-08-re-1.jpg

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Hi

Best regards

AJ

Why? I don't understand the point of this thread.....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MTLGuy
Why? I don't understand the point of this thread.....
This is SF ... must there be a point?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OP is gearing up to say that some guys look better in RTW than others in bespoke clothes.

He's disillusioned with his guy, and lashing out.

I support all forms of lashing out.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
OP is gearing up to say that some guys look better in RTW than others in bespoke clothes. He's disillusioned with his guy, and lashing out. I support all forms of lashing out.
From what I gather, the OP is also more luxury and fashion minded than the typical bespoke-wearing SF member, which partially explains the disillusionment.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing I like about RTW over bespoke is that you know exactly what a finished garment will look like. The cut/pattern is set and you can see the cloth at its actual size. With bespoke, there's still that leap you have to take when selecting cloth from a swatch. (Unless you're an unfunded liability hoarder or your tailor carries lots of bolts). Not to mention the learning curve, cost, timeframe, possible pitfalls and occasional tragedies.

RTW also affords the chance to try different styles fairly easily.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
From what I gather, the OP is also more luxury and fashion minded than the typical bespoke-wearing SF member, which partially explains the disillusionment.
Perhaps he hasn't heard ... luxury lost its luster ... some years back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads