• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
do people here only drive bmws and audis?

I don't have a car with me at school this year, but last year I drove a *gasp* Lexus RX.

When I go home to my parents' place, I drive the X5 that I have pictured earlier... so I only half break your stereotype.

I am purchasing a GLK within the next 18 months though... still not a BMW or Audi.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
I don't have a car with me at school this year, but last year I drove a *gasp* Lexus RX.

When I go home to my parents' place, I drive the X5 that I have pictured earlier... so I only half break your stereotype.

I am purchasing a GLK within the next 18 months though... still not a BMW or Audi.

I really like the GLK
smile.gif
Good choice I'm picking up my new car in 3 weeks. I'll post pics sometime after

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ben85
I owned a Protege since I was 18. It took me 5 years to find this 25th anniversary GT. There were only 500 made for Canada, and Canada alone. Oh, and there were only 499 Enzo's produced :p
img0320x.jpg

not bad, is this the turbo version? I used to have one that was very reliable when i was tooling around the beaches of FL

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The A3 we ordered back in mid-August is finally coming in next week and it is perfect timing for Christmas. Can't wait to see how the quattro stacks up against our Outback AWD in New England.

Laurens

Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
do people here only drive bmws and audis?

dozingoff.gif

the cts coupe is probably going to be my next car. anyone here own one of those?

I always liked the way how Top Gear described the Handling:

"Not the Caddy's strong suit at the moment. Needs encouragement to take a bend properly and tends to spin a wheel when it gets upset. A 3-Series laughs in its face and dances on its grave. Which is a horrifying mix of linguistic imagery."

And I personaly think the styling is too angular.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laurens
I always liked the way how Top Gear described the Handling:

"Not the Caddy's strong suit at the moment. Needs encouragement to take a bend properly and tends to spin a wheel when it gets upset. A 3-Series laughs in its face and dances on its grave. Which is a horrifying mix of linguistic imagery."

And I personaly think the styling is too angular.

Playing the Devil's advocate here: we all know how honest and unbiased Top Gear is.

bing

Reaction score
I daily drive (including through winter right now) a very heavily modified Kouki s14 240sx.

28587_10150188602670179_542005178_12380151_2477973_n.jpg

late model SR20, and tons of brakes, suspension and drivetrain mods. It's awesome and looks pretty stock so i don't get much attention... Try staying straight with a Tomei 2-way diff and 18" winters through a Canadian winter... not easy.

In the garage i keep a bit of a monster:

n542005178_4392739_5560.jpg

n542005178_4392740_5906.jpg

runs low boost and puts over 330hp to the wheels... again, there is less work into the motor as there are into the rest of the car... this onedoesnt have buck-one into the body either... all go.

These are probably not the kind of cars people on this forum appreciate but i assure you i've got more than enough into these things over the years to be rolling around in an M5 or similar...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to drive this:
ry%3D400
Until this:
ry%3D400
Did this:
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
The damage doesn't look like much, but it's currently at $7k and climbing. So for now I am driving a 2010 Impala rental car... it has reminded me how smooth a ride can be in something other than a Jeep Wrangler!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Ouch! When I owned a Navigator several years ago, a guy driving a Honda Accord ran into the back of me. He had just left the bank from making his last payment. Significant damage to the Honda, not so much to the Navigator, all cosmetic, but it still was several thousand to repair mine.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "small" damage can be incredibly expensive. My Grand Am almost got totalled after 'eating' a motorcycle that was skidding across the road after another accident. Last year, I ran over a raccoon at 60, and did well over $2k in damage -- fortunately that was all fixable by me (except the refrigerant recharge) and cost me like $600.

What is that hanging thing? A suspension link?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
What is that hanging thing? A suspension link?

One of the control arms. The lady hit me square on my front passenger side wheel which twisted and broke the front axle shaft and ripped the control arm right off of the frame. The entire front suspension was destroyed, both drive shafts twisted, front axle broke, rim bent, bumper destroyed, and a small dent in the rear corner panel.

The rear suspension is likely damaged from all the twisting as well and the shop has yet to even put the Jeep up on the rack to see if there was any damage to the frame. I'm actually sort of hoping it's totaled so I can go from a 2008 to a 2011 but the fact that Wranglers don't lose value as quickly as other vehicles is probably going to stop that from happening. I should have turned into the impact a bit!
sneaky2.gif

RJE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yeah, "small" damage can be incredibly expensive. My Grand Am almost got totalled after 'eating' a motorcycle that was skidding across the road after another accident. Last year, I ran over a raccoon at 60, and did well over $2k in damage -- fortunately that was all fixable by me (except the refrigerant recharge) and cost me like $600.

You'd understand if you'd hit a deer or something big, but it's the small ones that surprise you. A few years ago we had a pheasant fly out of a hedge right into the front/side of a car. Difficult material, several replacement parts needed, main dealer quoted £5000. Well-known independent charged £2000.

A year later I was driving along in an older car when a similar thing happened, but the pheasant made it to the middle of the grill before impact. Explosion of feathers was comical; some pheasant to scrape off the grill and radiator, but no damage.

In other matters, this afternoon had to leave a car at the bottom of a hill nearby as it couldn't cope with the ice (I joined another two cars parked there, and watched a van fail to take a bend, ending up in the snow bank opposite). Thankfully I was within a mile of home and OH turned up in 4x4 within a few minutes. A friend also passed by in his 4x4 and offered to pull out his JCB to tow if I wanted. I tried to get winter tyres on it a couple of weeks ago, but there was no stock anywhere in the country. A few days ago I tried to order autosocks, but everywhere was out of stock.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was about to break down and buy new tires for the winter beater Cherokee I picked up a couple months ago, but yesterday found a guy on craigslist selling a set of near-new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on alloy wheels for $200.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Would have preferred Duratracs, but these were my second choice. Saved me $3-400 (not to mention the nicer, lighter rims).

celeste_pista

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
The A3 we ordered back in mid-August is finally coming in next week and it is perfect timing for Christmas. Can't wait to see how the quattro stacks up against our Outback AWD in New England.

congrats on the new car...i think apples to apples you'd find quattro and subi awd to be pretty similar, but going from an outback (legacy wagon, i'm assuming) to an a3 will be a completely different driving experience. the a3 is a tight little handler and will feel like its on rails compared to the outback. B7 a4s and all a3s have that small car nimbleness that is tough to find outside of a true sports coupe these days...why i'd take a b7 a4/s4 over a b8 any day of the week.

for reference i drive an 07 a4 2.0tqm with a chip, hi-flow cat, and stasis coilovers. this will hold me over until I find an rs4. i will never drive anything but a subi or an audi (well, maybe a 911 but only in addition to one of those two).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads