• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any good HK tailors who can do suits in 2 days?

FCS

Reaction score
Only have limited time and would be curious to explore. I'll be able to go back and forth for every fitting promptly. Would any of the usual reputed tailors that you guys are familiar with be able to accommodate?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WW Chan and Gordon Yao can do suits in 3-4 days with fittings in between-at leaxt they used to.
You should contact them to see if they can turn it out in your time frame.

There are oufits in HK that could do it in 24 hours.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a saying in the software business - "Quick, cheap or right? Pick two." Best of luck picking cheap or right
smile.gif

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
There's a saying in the software business - "Quick, cheap or right? Pick two." Best of luck picking cheap or right
smile.gif

LOL this is a good one.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
A coworker of mine swears by Maxwell's, who claim to have invented the 24 hour suit.

uhoh.gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score

FCS

Reaction score
I realised that there might be a tradeoff between quality and timeline, however the total manhours to make a suit with substantial handworks is maybe 5-8 hours, depending on the amount of handworks vs machine. At least that's what my tailor in Toronto told me and he does most of his suit constructions by hand (hand-stitched canvas, sleevehead, collars, buttonholes, among other things), and he is a one-man shop in his basement. If I still live in Toronto I would simply go to him, the work is comparable to some of the high-profile tailoring firms in Europe with at least 1/2 (if not substantially more) of the price tag.

I called Gordon Yao before posting this thread and unfortunately they can't accommodate. I was hoping that the usual-suspect high-end houses with a workshop locally (as opposed to, say, in Shenzen), might be able to do it.

bbboy05

Reaction score
I will also be in a similar time constraint in my upcoming (short) trip to Hong Kong.

What I've done in the past (min 3 days though) and what I will also do in the near future, is to get everything measured upon arrival and hopefully get a fitting or two within the next 2 days and get them to send the finished product to my postal address overseas.

Anyone knows if the above works with Peter Lee?

JTA

Reaction score
I won't recommend making suits if you are there for two days only, except if you are there for first and basting fittings only and the suits will be posted without final fittings.

Haven't tried Jantzen, yet last time my local friend brought me to Taipan (basement of Admiralty Center) for jacket alteration (the end result was proper).
In the store there were sample of their suits (fully canvassed) and the person (Peter if I recall it correctly) was accommodative with a reasonable/good command of English, he explained that they imported the canvas from Germany. Their workshop is in HK/SZ if that's what you looking for.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just came back from HK and did exactly that with Peter: arrival and measuring on Friday evening, fitting on Monday (apparently, many HK tailors, including PL, are off on Sunday), am now awaiting the final result. Will post pics.

Anyhow, I think 8 hours of work on a suit is a slightly optimistic estimate. A good hand-sewn buttonhole will set you back 10 to 15 mins at least and a 2 button suit has 11 in the jacket.

suzuka

Reaction score
taipan row should be able to do a suit in 2 days, they're located in the IFC building.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8

There are oufits in HK that could do it in 24 hours.

But these fall apart in less.

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FCS
I realised that there might be a tradeoff between quality and timeline, however the total manhours to make a suit with substantial handworks is maybe 5-8 hours, depending on the amount of handworks vs machine. At least that's what my tailor in Toronto told me and he does most of his suit constructions by hand (hand-stitched canvas, sleevehead, collars, buttonholes, among other things), and he is a one-man shop in his basement. If I still live in Toronto I would simply go to him, the work is comparable to some of the high-profile tailoring firms in Europe with at least 1/2 (if not substantially more) of the price tag.

I called Gordon Yao before posting this thread and unfortunately they can't accommodate. I was hoping that the usual-suspect high-end houses with a workshop locally (as opposed to, say, in Shenzen), might be able to do it.

I don't believe this.

I might if you cough up this tailor's name and rough address.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads