• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt22616

Reaction score
I'm dumb, just realized you put them on ebay, but didn't get them from ebay. Finals.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I stopped in at Winners today (Winners is like the Canadian version of TJ Maxx in the U.S.) and found a so-called sevenfold tie from a brand called Burma Bibas in an eggplant purple.

I've never heard of this brand (more on this later) . . . but the tie, I thought, can't possibly be a sevenfold for only $40 retail and now reduced to $19.99.

I examined it and the tag declared it was made in China
plain.gif

It was not a sevenfold; rather, it was a rather inferior sixfold.

Hell, for $19.99, I cannot complain much, I thought. I bought it.

Later, I googled Burma Bibas and discovered it's a brand that is available at Nordstrom's and Saks Fifth Avenue!
smile.gif
worship.gif

As I continued my googling, I discovered, MUCH to my dismay, that Burma Bibas is ALSO available at The Men's Wearhouse.
baldy[1].gif

Well, it would seem I got a licensed Burma Bibas tie from The Men's Wearhouse and not the real McCoy from Nordstrom's or Saks Fifth Avenue. But, then again, what the hell did I expect for $19.99 and made in China?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIK, the Burma Bibas sold at Nordstrom/Bloomies/etc is the same sold at Men's Wearhouse. The stuff isn't that nice, in my opinion. I've seen a lot of their shirts and my fair share of their ties in thrifts over the years. Their shirts look to be on par with other stuff sold at that price-point ($60-ish for a shirt).

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all that impressed with Burma Bibas overall - the quality is all right, and some of their ties ARE very luxe-heavy feeling. Never picked up anything, though I've been tempted a time or two I've always resisted. Thrifting long enough definitely makes one pickier.

I had quite a bumper day yesterday - a new spot opened up, and I was there at what was supposed to be opening time, though apparently they opened the doors early.
ffffuuuu.gif
Didn't find any suits/sc's, I suspect I got sniped out of those by people who were there whenever they opened the doors. Did find my first Borrelli, woot. One Pink shirt, a recent BB shirt in a pattern I liked, a thick cashmere zip-up, an OLD Hermes tie and a super-super recent Zegna (the "woven ribbon" label) for me. That Zegna is the highest quality Zegna I've ever seen, very thick and not even in the same league as their older stuff. Also got a Zegna shirt and Zegna pants to trade.

Found my wife a new in box stand mixer for Christmas... she'll find it beforehand but that's okay. More fun: a new in box nerf longshot to play with. It seems that a brand new store = uncommon finds!

Other finds yesterday at another store included a recent blue label Canali mainline suit 46 and a navy/white Bean Norwegian sweater. Guess it was making up for the horrible carnage of moth-eaten Oxxford/Zegna/cashmere sweaters the other night!

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If anyone is big and tall and in LA, there's a pile of beautiful Italian MTM suits at the UCLA thrift in a 44-46L, maybe even XL. They belonged to a certain television doctor famous for his mustache and his friendship with Oprah. Also a pile of lovely MTM and Zegna Su Misura shirts - I'd guess 17 1/2 / 36, maybe?

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a Baracuta trench coat. It's tagged 38R. Not sure if it's vintage. Has the zip in liner. waist belt, cuffs, and button in collar. The button in collar shows some wear but is otherwise it's in really nice shape. Let me know if there is any interest.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
If anyone is big and tall and in LA, there's a pile of beautiful Italian MTM suits at the UCLA thrift in a 44-46L, maybe even XL. They belonged to a certain television doctor famous for his mustache and his friendship with Oprah. Also a pile of lovely MTM and Zegna Su Misura shirts - I'd guess 17 1/2 / 36, maybe?

Who was the maker? I'm between a 44 R and L.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If somebody buys them, will you please test to see if voodo works?

vinasity

Reaction score
Found this nice Sartoriani (don't know anything about them) suit today, I believe it is brand new and never been worn. Jacket fits pretty good(surgeon cuffs double vent) but the pants are about two inches too big and the rise is very high. Do you think a tailor could easily fix these?
IMG_1397-1.jpg
IMG_1398-1.jpg

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity

Found this nice Sartoriani (don't know anything about them) suit today, I believe it is brand new and never been worn. Jacket fits pretty good(surgeon cuffs double vent) but the pants are about two inches too big and the rise is very high. Do you think a tailor could easily fix these?

IMG_1398-1.jpg

Sartoriani: BIG THUMBS DOWN!!! http://permanentstyle.blogspot.com/2...igger-lie.html

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Did you guys see me thrifting on the news!?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! I've found Burma Bibas ties at Filene's and TJ Maxx anywhere from 3-10 bucks a pop. I remember asking on here if they were true 7 fold (and realizing that they were not). Anyway, in the past, I've bought a bunch of 'em as gifts for less discerning friends. =)

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
From what I've gathered Jack Victor is a mid-range made in Canada brand sold at "higher" end department stores such as Nordstrom's and Bloomingdale's. I've seen a few and always thought they were nice, but never in my size.

More importantly, however, I suggest you buy my beautiful Oxxford sportcoat
biggrin.gif
spam[1].gif

I bought two Jack Victor suits about this time last year from a mens store that was closing shop. The retail was $750. I've been happy with the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads