• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Had a '10 Cep Sauv. Blanc. Cep is Peay's second label. Tart, acidic, cat piss, peach stone, mineral. Could pair well with food but would not drink by itself again.

Hmmm. Brings new meaning to the Burgundian term "barnyard funk."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Hmmm. Brings new meaning to the Burgundian term "barnyard funk."

You've never heard/used that term for the nose on a Sauvignon Blanc? I find it very common for that grape.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am somehting of fiend when it comes to Pinot Noir, would anyone in Sydney know a good wine shop where I might pick up a 2009 Bass Phillip Estate Pino?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You've never heard/used that term for the nose on a Sauvignon Blanc? I find it very common for that grape.

No. But I don't drink a great deal of that. Maybe I should.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a long week with me being a full time house dad while Mrs. Coolpapa has been taking care of some things. 97 Ridge Montebello tonight with steaks, home fries, brussell sprouts, followed by foot rubs and a movie on the couch.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
bought a pierre gimonnet et fils

http://www.winegeeks.com/wines/3125

can't wait

We have PG by the glass. I love when people order it b/c that means I get to open a bottle and taste it. It's a nice champagne. Hope you enjoy it!

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2002 L'Ecole No 41 Seven Hills Vineyard Merlot. This had the essence of what I find typical in wines of the Walla Walla Valley. I love the delicacy in which the fruit blends with a distinct minerality. I found this with other varietals in the Valley from producers such as Cayuse and Garrison Creek. Beautifully made and structured to last. We drank the bottle without food because our guests were delayed. It was a wonderful experience. By far, the best merlot I have tasted from an area famous for merlot. Very memorable. After a few glasses of Charles Heidseck and the merlot, I was too pissed to remember much of the Tara other than it paled compared to the overture. A punk, mouthy wine. The food, as usual, was exquisite. Our guests checked out the cellar. About 20,000 bottles. A pic of the star, too. Wonder what it tastes like? Anyone had one? 3.5Gs.
leselectnite1.jpg
leslectnite2.jpg
leselectnite3.jpg
leselectnite4.jpg
Apologies for the crappy iPhone 4 flash photography.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, my weekend reading has paid off to answer one of my long standing questions: why do so many Ontario red wines have nasty green pepper notes? Pyrazines. These are one of the many volatile chemicals in grape skins. They lesson and/or dissipate with the proper "hang time." For whatever reason (growing season?) Ontario grapes are harvested before enough hang time is achieved to get rid of the proper amount of pyrazines. They also give the tobacco notes if in small enough quantities and this is considered desirable by many, unlike the green pepper taste, which as someone that has tasted plenty of Ontario reds, is just plain nasty.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Green pepper can be present in Bordeaux as well, although it's usually a tertiary note that's rather subtle.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Green pepper can be present in Bordeaux as well, although it's usually a tertiary note that's rather subtle.

In many Ontario reds, particularly Baco Noir, Pinot, and Cab. Sauv., it's a very primary note. I actually think many people in Ontario, casual wine consumers or consumers that mainly drink the local plonk, have been trained to think this is what wine should taste like.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Magnum of Lynch Bages for dinner out last weekend.

IMG_0005.jpg

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cht. Lagarosse Les Comtes 2006 ; fantastic red . Uncharacteristically, for French wines ,full bodied and bold with good finish.

Chmpn, Moutard Rose Brut NV, decent desert champagne.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Magnum of Lynch Bages for dinner out last weekend.

Nice. Very young, but hope it opened up nicely.

Quite the big table, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads