• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bar Cars

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was poking around on Google for information on these infamous bar cars on commuter rail. Since they're being phased out, the hope of getting one say in Toronto is poor. I'd kill for one on the rail line to my parent's place.

But anyway, the slide show is interesting and I thought I'd share it:
NYT Bar Cars

The interesting thing is in the 1968 picture, the fattest guy looks like a normal sized guy in the 2010 picture.

And also the level of dress has dropped steeply.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they always say that the bar cars may not continue because lack of funding. they are one of the few things that actually make money on metro north. it's just bullshit by metro north to get more state funds.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
they always say that the bar cars may not continue because lack of funding. they are one of the few things that actually make money on metro north. it's just bullshit by metro north to get more state funds.

What's the point of bar cars. Can people seriously not wait until they get home to drink alcohol?

Not that I am against them (I have no opinion), but it's not like losing them would be some kind of great travesty to mankind.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
well chicago had bar cars on some of their metra commuter lines up until december of 2008. And if news reports are to be taken as accurate, they were the last bar cars running in the US.

massively pissed me off because they were taken out of service literally the day before my new office opened and I became a rail commuter.

the reason for the cancellation was apparently because of fire codes because the bar itself blocked what was normally the exit door.

they did continue to use the bar cars up until mayish?? of this year, just minus the bartender.

you can still drink on all the trains which is nice. I was actually going to pick up a bottle of the Bruery's Orchid White for my trip home today.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 60's was such a good looking decade. The difference between slide 1 and 2 makes me sad.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
The 60's was such a good looking decade. The difference between slide 1 and 2 makes me sad.

Yes - what happened to them
wink.gif

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
What's the point of bar cars. Can people seriously not wait until they get home to drink alcohol?

Because sometimes sitting there staring at other spiritually drained souls can make you want to do something to pleasantly pass the time.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Because sometimes sitting there staring at other spiritually drained souls can make you want to do something to pleasantly pass the time.

Hiding from the truth of your ugly life through intoxication...how utterly modern of you!

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hiding from the truth of your ugly life through intoxication...how utterly modern of you!

Don't we all..Don't we all...

Bartolo

Reaction score

Not that I am against them (I have no opinion), but it's not like losing them would be some kind of great travesty to mankind.

Some of these commuters spend over an hour on the train every evening after work. It's a nice option to have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads