• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On average, how often do you get the full blown flu?

Shiny

Reaction score
I did a google search and couldn't find the answer to this, but I'd like to know how often (in years) do you get the full blown (bedridden, knocked down, and not being able to go to work) flu? I thought it was something like every 5 years on average, but I can't find that data. Anyone know?

I'm not talking about colds or sniffles that are bearable, but don't cause you to be out of work from 3 days to a week.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
Really? I'm struck at least twice a year.

+1. Usually lasts 3-4 days for me...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
ive had colds and so forth but nothing that would knock me out for 3 days or so. i dont think i ever gotten one in my entire life.

i do get the occasional flu where i am sick and cant even get up due to body aches and so forth that knocks me out for a day. but that is like only once every 2 years or so i would think.

my body is pretty strong and resilient. and ive done some tough things too like being out in the rain all day and swimming in icy lakes or sweating working digging in a ditch while raining (church projects)

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who say you are getting it more than once a year, is it diagnosed as the flu?

I get the knock down kind maybe once every few years.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Once a decade, maybe less.

Bang Dat-Ho

Reaction score
Using the If-you-had-the-flu-you'd-know-it rule of thumb, I can't remember ever getting the flu.

Every four years or so, I do get colds that that last a week, but they don't feature vomiting, diarrhea or body aches that usually accompany a flu. Maybe they're weak flus?

Rolf

Reaction score
Same as the guy above. I'm barely ever sick.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
For those of you who say you are getting it more than once a year, is it diagnosed as the flu?

I get the knock down kind maybe once every few years.

nope. not diagnosed. just feel real bad for a few days. usually only stay home from work one day.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every five or six years seems like, but I've been good about getting the vaccine recently so that would bias the sample. Lots of "flu" cases aren't really influenza anyway, I've gotten the "stomach flu" several times but that's a totally different disease.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads