• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Always a question of what came first, the chicken or the egg. In this case, call it an improvment upon or call it the original, but either way, I like the Sargent version better myself.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Iirc, these have now been treated 3 times (2 coats each time) since I got them last year:

100_4146.jpg

Aside from that, I've wiped them down with a damp cloth whenever they got too dirty, but have yet to polish them.

Wes- you make a convincing case for sno seal. Wish I wasn't scared to treat my own shoes with it!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Wes- you make a convincing case for sno seal. Wish I wasn't scared to treat my own shoes with it!
Google "Sno-Seal" and take note of what the ingredients are--nothing but wax, as I recall. No mink oil, no neatsfoot, no petroleum distillates. Nothing to belabour or harm the leather. I have recommended Sno-Seal for nearly 40 years. If applied sparingly, I've never seen it interfere with the ability to shine a pair of shoes, much less darken or soften the leather. If you're that worried, try some on the heel or under the arch...just a spot or two. Let dry and polish. I have no affiliation.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones Handgrade Barstow, last 351. I was surprised this was fitting so well in size 8. Normally I'm size 8.5 in the 348 last. I bought these from Brogue in Geneva.
1114150639_pDd3s-L.jpg

1114149577_LJG6o-L.jpg

1114150105_4WENw-L.jpg

1114151709_d9VUD-L.jpg

1114151515_t4FER-L.jpg

1114151232_vdSzL-L.jpg

It's always a pleasure to stop on a Saturday afternoon in this small shop in Geneva, no more than 2 or 3 customers at a time, Gary is always very knowledgeable about the shoes industry (he was mentioning Grenson closing completely the factory in England and moving to India - don't know if true, as also discussed in the Grenson thread). They have a nice selection of C&J, G&G, EG, Santoni, Corthay, Carlos Santos.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RetroWarwick12-1-1.jpg

GF1GGBSSeamlessWarwick-R22-1.jpg

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Beautiful, personally I like these much more than the "average" G&Gs.

I am not sure what average refers to, but these balmorals are just exquisite.

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
forgive the poor photography.
PC010139.jpg
PC010140.jpg
PC010141.jpg
PC010142.jpg
PC010143.jpg
seeking direction on footwear... All Crockett & Jones mainline Front row, from left: Cavendish 325 Westfield 341 Finsbury 341 Malvern (black) 341 Malvern (chestnut) 341 Pembroke (black) 325 Pembroke (pebbled grain brown) 325 Second row, from left: Lincoln 314 (F width) Connaught (Black) 236 Connaught (chestnut) 236 Syndey (snuff suede) 341 Syndey (dark brown) 341

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rush
Just got this pair in earlier this week.

nstKel.jpg

Very interesting design. Who is the maker?

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonmarshalljazz
PC010143.jpg

seeking direction on footwear...

All Crockett & Jones mainline

Nice collection! No one can accuse you of not having the basics covered.
wink.gif
In terms of direction, how about a bold spectator (it looks like the Westfield might be a spectator, but if it is, it's quite subtle) or a non-traditional color?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
I am not sure what average refers to, but these balmorals are just exquisite.
By average I just meant most other models I have seen. That's just very personal, many of them just dont speak to me as they do to others.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
By average I just meant most other models I have seen by.

Gotcha, I agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads