• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Originally Posted by dah328
No. If you don't have an urgent need for several new suits right now, the worst thing that you could do is go out and buy a bunch of poor/mediocre ones right now. Keep an eye for the really good deals on quality suits and acquire a higher quality wardrobe that way.
The Jos. A bank stuff isn't the best, but it's more then good enough for somebody just starting with a professional wardrobe. A few basics would be a good idea if he's going to be working in a professional environment anytime soon. Remember that people coming out of college have a fair bit of debt and aren't getting paid the big bucks yet. He would be well advised to save the kiton for when he can afford it and buy the decent enough Jos A Bank stuff until he can afford nicer stuff.

Perhaps that's why I prefaced my statement with the bold portion. Further, the idea that one must start a professional wardrobe with cheap suits is silly. Why flush money down the toilet on a JAB suit when the same money could purchase a half-canvassed suit on end-of-season clearance?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because JAB isn't the crap you think it is. I'm pretty sure that their top end stuff (and I'm thinking that that's the signature gold) IS half canvassed.

And yes, most people do have to start a professional wardrobe with cheaper suits. Why? Because they need suits to wear until they have enough money to spend on nicer suits. Coming out of school, the typical college grad is pretty deep in the hole already with credit card debt, student loans, and are getting hit with expenses they've never really had to worry about before. It's great if you have the money to buy your first suit from brooks brothers, but most people are wearing a $200 suit from men's wearhouse when starting thier careers. Many never move on. JAB signature gold is a big step up from that crap already.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've hit my Grenson Radleys on some concrete stairs damaging the leather. I understand that I need to polish it with the same colored wax in order to minimize the visibility. Is it my best bet to order the wax directly from Grenson or pediwear to ensure it's the same color?

Thanks!

Valproate

Reaction score
I've got a cotton sweater from RL. I also have a dual-sided Kent brush. Am I supposed to brush the sweater? It seems to make the pilling worse.

Thanks!

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I've hit my Grenson Radleys on some concrete stairs damaging the leather. I understand that I need to polish it with the same colored wax in order to minimize the visibility. Is it my best bet to order the wax directly from Grenson or pediwear to ensure it's the same color?

Thanks!

I'd say you don't necessarily need to get the wax from Grenson because they might not have the exact shade your shoes have either. However, it's not really necessary that it is exactly the same colour. It's only very few situations where anyone would have an exact match between wax and colour of the leather.

Usually you'd try to get as close as possible while avoiding to be a lighter shade than the leather. Depending on the amount of damage, you might be able to "repair" it with a couple of coates.

Just out of curiosity: If you don't have a wax for your shoes at hand, how did you polish them so far?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retozimmermann
I'd say you don't necessarily need to get the wax from Grenson because they might not have the exact shade your shoes have either. However, it's not really necessary that it is exactly the same colour. It's only very few situations where anyone would have an exact match between wax and colour of the leather.

Usually you'd try to get as close as possible while avoiding to be a lighter shade than the leather. Depending on the amount of damage, you might be able to "repair" it with a couple of coates.

Just out of curiosity: If you don't have a wax for your shoes at hand, how did you polish them so far?

I usually use neutral wax for all of my brown shoes. It worked great... up until now. Maybe I should just take them to a shoe shop?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shanks59
I'm after a smart hooded sweatshirt (no zip), any ideas?

Post this on the Streetwear & Denim part of this site, you'll probably have better luck.

EZ

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I usually use neutral wax for all of my brown shoes. It worked great... up until now. Maybe I should just take them to a shoe shop?

If you use lighter shades it will not change the color of your shoes.

If you don't mind experimenting you can use slightly different shades to enrich the color. I used medium brown on my light brown shoes and it developed into this rich reddish brown that is just lovely.

Using colorless wax/cream will never develop the all important patina.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valproate
I've got a cotton sweater from RL. I also have a dual-sided Kent brush. Am I supposed to brush the sweater? It seems to make the pilling worse.
No, clothes brushes are generally useful for fabrics such as wool that are hydrophobic and resist the absorption of dirt, etc. Aside from rarer weaves such as moleskin, cotton does not fit that description.

celmore

Reaction score
I am looking for a great consignment store in Miami. Any ideas?
Also can you wear straw hats year around in a tropical climate like Miami?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads