• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Black Fleece vs. BB Golden Fleece suits

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own some Golden Fleece suits which I think are decent quality.However, I was wondering about the Black Fleece line of suits and how they compare quality and fit wise.

I understand that they are slimmer and have a different fit. I'm more interested in how the quality compares and if anyone has any feedback on them.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Construction is comparable. There is more handwork on some of the GF suits.

Good to know. Sale of GF: $960, BF is $640.

I searched but could not find any threads on BF suits.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
The fabrics may be a little nicer on the GF stuff as well.

Also, the cut is so drastically different that this thread not very helpful.

This is like comparing country music to rap (1st thing that I thought of).

Please explain more. The local stores in Philly do not carry BF so I can't try them on.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a hard question to answer. The BBBF suits used to be made in Italy to a very high standard - probably higher than the Greenfield suits sold under the GF name. Now BBBF suits are made by Southwick to a standard lower than Greenfield GF suits. I strongly believe some current GF suits are made by Southwick (at least the Fitzgerald cut). I'd assume Southwick BF = Southwick GF in quality.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why does it matter?

The styles of the two lines are so different that choosing one over the other for actual and superficial differences of make should be an order of magnitude less important.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Why does it matter?

The style of the two lines are so different that choosing one over the other for actual and superficial differences of make should be and order of magnitude less important.

Hard to tell looking at pictures on line. Can you please explain?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Hard to tell looking at pictures on line. Can you please explain?

Black Fleece is a designer line representing a cheaper and more attenuated version of the stuff that Browne sold or sells under his own name, with interesting nods to ye olde Brooks. Lapels are skinny, buttoning points are high, cuts are nipped boxy, jackets are short, and there's often hallucinogenic patterns and fabrics, particularly at the bin ends of sales.

Golden Fleece is what grandad wears in the wooden box after the funeral staff put foundation and lipstick on his face.

They share little in common other than being hobbies of a sunglasses empire heir.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
All around there is no comparison. GF is the better suit. Buy.

I guess I will buy yeat another GF suit (I only own one). I'm only 30, but I bring in the jacket a little. I wear the Regent and it is not too bad but I do prefer a slightly more modern look.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Please explain more. The local stores in Philly do not carry BF so I can't try them on.

BB in King of Prussia has Black Fleece.

Take train to NYC for the motherload.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
BB in King of Prussia has Black Fleece.

Take train to NYC for the motherload.

I was just in KOP this week. They no longer carry it. I'm in NY all the time, so I may just have to do that.

Originally Posted by furo
You're going to buy the plaid one on sale from the BB website, aren't you?

Actually, I already have that one--I quite like it and it is a break from my charcoal and grey suits.

Looking at the three button navy one with the very slight pinstripe:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...e=44%20Regular

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads