• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost a lot of weight

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
I can't believe I just signed up here but I hope to learn more as time goes on. Long story short I went from 196 pounds to around 175 and I am still losing more as time goes on. I am not sure what brands, I know JcPenney is shunned upon here along with every other department store would have a better fit. Some brands I can wear a 44 but it is like I am swimming in it. I just got a kenneth cole ny suit which is just a tad big but has given me a nice shape. I primarily shop at goodwill and salvation army because when I start seminary, I am going to be dirt poor. My question is what should I look out for brand wise and would an athletic cut suit give me good results. I hope I made sense.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're thrifting, you can't be too picky about brands. Learn to reconize quality and try stuff on.

And if you're still losing wieght, you're nowhere close to an athletic cut yet. Those are cut for guys like Ahrnald who need a 42 chest and a 32 waist. Not guys who are dropping down to an average build, or an only moderatly obese build.

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
If you're thrifting, you can't be too picky about brands. Learn to reconize quality and try stuff on.

And if you're still losing wieght, you're nowhere close to an athletic cut yet. Those are cut for guys like Ahrnald who need a 42 chest and a 32 waist. Not guys who are dropping down to an average build, or an only moderatly obese build.

I can fit into a 34, it is just a bit snug but I can move freely. I did see a Christian Dior but I don't think it would of fit me. I did see a Joseph Abbound but it was too small.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you don't need the 44 jacket size. You need a 42, perhaps even a 40. An average drop is around 6 inches, and that's what most suits come with.

Also, stop looking at names. There are a lot of makers out there, and the stuff you think is high end often isn't. They have a top line that is very well made, but a lot of cheaper lines that are not nearly as high quality that they sell at a lower price point. Dior is one of those. Look for quality. Check for canvassing. Make sure the lapels roll. If they're pressed flat as a board it's probably not a good suit. Things like that, which can be found with a little digging on this board.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
First off, congratulations. Losing weight can be tough, as I know from experience. Second, if you are planning to start looking at thrift stores, check out the thrift store bragging thread on this forum. There's a lot of great stuff to be found, and perusing that thread will help you begin to recognize the less common high quality brand names.

And finally: don't get too hung up on "athletic", "slim", and "tailored" nomenclature, because its arbitrary at best. Just make sure what you wear fits--especially in the shoulders and chest, and realize that a decent tailor will be able adjust the fit for some parts of the garment. Also, if you plan to keep losing weight, hold off on buying too many things, otherwise you might have to replace them.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
But you don't need the 44 jacket size. You need a 42, perhaps even a 40. An average drop is around 6 inches, and that's what most suits come with.

He needs the 44 jacket size if that's what fits his shoulders and chest. If he's unsure, he should buy a cloth tape measure and have someone take his measurements, but telling him he's a certain size because it fits the "standard" suit drop is foolish. I know I'd tear apart a 38 like the hulk if I ever tried to wear one, despite the fact I'm a 31-32 waist size.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits
He needs the 44 jacket size if that's what fits his shoulders and chest. If he's unsure, he should buy a cloth tape measure and have someone take his measurements, but telling him he's a certain size because it fits the "standard" suit drop is foolish. I know I'd tear apart a 38 like the hulk if I ever tried to wear one, despite the fact I'm a 31-32 waist size.
Based on the "lost a lot of weight recently " bit, I sincerely doubt it. Without further information, I'm presuming he's a typical case of a person losing weight, not a weightlifter who needs a really weird fit. The typical person losing that kind of weight goes from very obese, to less obese, to average build, not from bodybuilder with a large amount of fat to bodybuilder with less fat. People delude themselves into thinking they wear a much larger jacket size then they should routinely. I see people on a regular basis wearing jackets two sizes too large becuase they're used to baggy clothing and think that's what fit is. I suspect that he needs to try on a smaller size jacket, because if he feels like he's swimming in the 44, that probably means it's too large. Can I say that for sure? Not without photos or looking at him in person. But all I have to go on is what he wrote, and that suggests he needs a smaller jacket. Just becuase you're an exceptional case does not mean the OP is. And without any sort of evidence that OP is an exceptional case, I'm just going to assume a standard case until evidence is presented to the contrary.

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
I use to weight lift a lot, the last time I went to a suit store they measured me at a 44, I have a jones new york suit that is a 44 and is perfect.

I will try to find a recent photo, before and after.

I almost have a four pack if that counts for anything
laugh.gif

DStew

Reaction score

People delude themselves into thinking they wear a much larger jacket size then they should routinely. I see people on a regular basis wearing jackets two sizes too large becuase they're used to baggy clothing and think that's what fit is. I suspect that he needs to try on a smaller size jacket, because if he feels like he's swimming in the 44, that probably means it's too large. Can I say that for sure? Not without photos or looking at him in person. But all I have to go on is what he wrote, and that suggests he needs a smaller jacket.

In my humble experience, so many salesmen try to put people in larger coats. I am 6'3 and 190lbs. I was told forever that I was a 44. Now I buy mostly 40L but it wasn't until I went to a competent tailor who showed me how a jacket or suit coat should fit that I got it right.

On the surface, I am skeptical that you are a 44 but you definitely could be. Id go see a tailor and take the coat you think fits well and ask him if he would make any adjustments. If he wouldn't then you have confirmation, if he would then you can get him to help you understand more.

Once you understand/confirm fit then you wont worry anymore about ideas like "athletic fit" and you will be able to find what fits you at thrift stores.

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
My cousin knows a tailor that will give me a good discount so I will be going there sometime in the next month.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Go read the thrift thread (yes, the whole thing; it will take awhile). Slow down on buying stuff (hard to do), but by the time you finish your first year you'll be the best dressed seminarian there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads