• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Cup 2018/2022

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Qatar will be a great host,wait and see..Their opening ceremony for the Asian games was better than theolympics

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
In your dreams

Yeah...ok. The US doesn't produce the vast majority of popular culture/media for worldwide consumption.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I think the U.S. makes a lot of sense for FIFA because it's the largest untapped market in the world for them. Not because we are so superior - but because to grow their brand, eventually they'll need us to care.

We are Soccer China.

Isn't China, Soccer China?

I think FIFA's finally realized that while the US may be this giant untapped market, it's just not going to happen. It didn't happen with Pele and the Cosmos, it didn't happen after 1994, it didn't happen with Mia Hamm/Brandy Chastain, and it didn't happen after David Beckham came over. Soccer will forever be the, at best, the 5th most popular sport in the United States.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Isn't China, Soccer China?
Maybe, but they didn't bid, and probably would have gotten snubbed for Quatar too.
I think FIFA's finally realized that while the US may be this giant untapped market, it's just not going to happen. It didn't happen with Pele and the Cosmos, it didn't happen after 1994, it didn't happen with Mia Hamm/Brandy Chastain, and it didn't happen after David Beckham came over. Soccer will forever be the, at best, the 5th most popular sport in the United States.
I'm not sure where you live, but Soccer is pretty big here. And it's only getting bigger with Portland (those ******* hippie bitches!) and Vancouver coming into the MLS in 2011.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't read this thread but just want to chime in that I support FIFA's choices, although I'm sure they made them for sleazy reasons, not the right ones.

The US and England have both hosted the tournament in the past and the US hosted it fairly recently so giving it to someone else should have been seen as a no-brainer.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you live, but Soccer is pretty big here. And it's only getting bigger with Portland (those ******* hippie bitches!) and Vancouver coming into the MLS in 2011.

I live in LA where the Rose Bowl and Coliseum sell out when Mexico NT plays here. It's huge....and/or we just have a lot of Mexicans.

And yes, it's (relatively) popular in the Pac NW...I'm jealous of how awesome Sounders fan base is, btw.

But still...it will never ever ever reach the level that FIFA or most soccer fans wish it would. As popular as it is in certain regions of the country, it's still not a) even the most popular sport in those regions and b) not going to spread. It is what it is.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But still...it will never ever ever reach the level that FIFA or most soccer fans wish it would. As popular as it is in certain regions of the country, it's still not a) even the most popular sport in those regions and b) not going to spread. It is what it is.
If you don't think there's room for growth, I think you're mistaken. People have been saying the same thing as you just did since the 80s and there are distinct signs that you are in fact, wrong. MLS attendance is up when not much else is. There are more MLS stadiums that have been and are currently being built in the past few years than MLB, NBA, or NFL. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the few major sports leagues that's expanding into new cities, while still increasing attendance and profitability. Average attendance is better in several cities than the MLB/NBA teams in the same cities. The 2010 world cup was watched by 64% more American households than the last one. I'm not saying it's going to replace football or baseball or basketball. But pretending like it's the NHL or the WNBA is also probably a mistake.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Though it defied logic, reason, and even FIFA's own technical evaluation, Qatar's bid for the 2022 World Cup was a success. And while this is certainly a victory for Qatar and the Middle East, the man smiling widest has to be Zidane.

Like many other famous names, Zidane was paid exorbitantly to support Qatar's bid. He appeared at matches and even starred in a very successful commercial for the cause. According to The New Republic, his deal guaranteed him $3 million regardless of the bid's success and a whopping $15 million if Qatar got the event. Well, they got it, so now Zidane gets his $15 million.

For a guy whose final memory of the World Cup as a player was less than enjoyable, this has to be an extra sweet payday. Especially since the son of Algerian parents felt a bit more connected to this bid beyond just the giant sack of money. It's unclear whether all of the FIFA executive committee members who voted for Qatar can say the same thing.
crazy.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't think there's room for growth, I think you're mistaken. People have been saying the same thing as you just did since the 80s and there are distinct signs that you are in fact, mistaken. MLS attendance is up. There are more MLS stadiums that have been and are currently being built in the past few years than MLB, NBA, or NFL. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the few major sports leagues that's expanding into new cities, while still increasing attendance and profitability. Average attendance is better in several cities than the MLB/NBA teams in the same cities. The 2010 world cup was watched by 64% more Americans than the last one. I'm not saying it's going to replace football or baseball or basketball. But pretending like it's the NHL or the WNBA is also a mistake.
I think we're kind of making the same point, but I'm taking a glass half empty approach (in this case) and yours is half full. They had their chance when the NHL *********** and went on strike and Beckham came over, but it just didn't happen. Yes, there is definitely room for growth, and the smart and well thought out expansion of the MLS is a positive sign. But it has to grow because it's by far the youngest league in the US. (Yeah, it's better than a failing league, but we're not holding the sport to those standards, are we?) The NBA/MLB/NFL have essentially reached their saturation point, but that's because they've been around for decades. MLS is only, what, 15 years old? So, while growth is obviously a good thing, I can't say that growth in and of itself is an indicator that the sport will be adopted wholesale by this country the way you're alluding to. Another thing...the NBA/MLB/NFL are BILLION dollar leagues. The MLS is lucky to break even. In fact, I don't think there are any teams, except maybe the Galaxy that really make money (don't know about the sounders as they're pretty new, but seem to be doing ok attendance wise). I'm not pulling that out of thin air either, I've audited AEG owned teams. ****...look at the league minimum salaries! NHL is $450K, NFL is $325K, MLB is $380K, NBA is $473K.....MLS is $40K
crazy.gif
...I made far more than that out of college. When soccer players, on average, are getting paid like the big dogs (I'll even include hockey), then maybe we can consider it to be a major sport in the US. When you say that I pretend like MLS is the NHL, I'm not. I'm saying MLS isn't even as popular as the NHL, and it won't be.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has been a lot in the British press the last few weeks about corruption amongst FIFA officials. The debate has been "do we shut up about it and smile nicely until after the finals are awarded or expose the dirty bribe taking scum before the decision". The BBC and several newspapers ran with stories before the decision was made, and it is now being reported that this is the reason England didn't get any votes. Moral high ground won, finals lost.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All that said, I believe Qatar is going to be a pretty safe place for fans and teams to see the tournament unfold. The muslim elites will come together and declare hiatus on world terrorism for once.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Another thing...the NBA/MLB/NFL are BILLION dollar leagues. The MLS is lucky to break even. In fact, I don't think there are any teams, except maybe the Galaxy that really make money

The Sounders and Toronto turned a profit in 09. The only two teams to do so. Toronto made roughly 3 million, Seattle, 10-17 million. But that's a little deceiving, since many pro sports teams (regardless of the sport) have negative cash flow when you don't factor in revenue sharing.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sounders and Toronto turned a profit in 09. The only two teams to do so. Toronto made roughly 3 million, Seattle, 10-17 million. But that's a little deceiving, since many pro sports teams (regardless of the sport) have negative cash flow when you don't factor in revenue sharing.

That's amazing to hear, and not really surprising coming from the 2 most well attended/supported teams. Yeah, the revenue sharing part is what kills the teams individually.

delakingois

Reaction score
2030 is the centennial celebration of the WC. It really should return to Uruguay.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
All that said, I believe Qatar is going to be a pretty safe place for fans and teams to see the tournament unfold. The muslim elites will come together and declare hiatus on world terrorism for once.

Meh, not a fan of either choice. Russian has the Olympics and they cheat. Qatar is in the middle of nowhere and it will be hot as balls. Everyone will have to travel and if the event is a success attendance wise the population will about double. Not sure if they can deal with it.

Plus, as Slim points out, America is the better market for the future growth of the sport.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Meh, not a fan of either choice. Russian has the Olympics and they cheat. Qatar is in the middle of nowhere and it will be hot as balls. Everyone will have to travel and if the event is a success attendance wise the population will about double. Not sure if they can deal with it.

Plus, as Slim points out, America is the better market for the future growth of the sport.

i dont get you guys,if you wanna follow some passionate soccer...move to europe.
if you live in europe but love basketball/football/baseball move to the US,why does everything have to be equally liked,i think thats part of the charm...when in japan take in a sumo match,when in saudi arabia go see a beheading and so on etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads