• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PayPal will require SS# & report receipts to IRS

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Hey, here's a novel idea; just pay your taxes like you should and then you don't have to worry about PayPal reporting your transactions or the IRS coming after you. Having worked for many years in the public accounting world, I have seen a lot of people try to avoid taxes and scam the system. It just isn't worth it. I pay a lot more in taxes than I would like, but when it comes right down to it, I get a lot of benefits. It irks me when people don't pay their rightfully owed taxes.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
BTW, are some of you guys who receive PP from around the world worried about inquiries regarding where you are getting the money from and for what purpose.
It actually did cause me a slight problem when purchasing a home. Apparently, people launder money through mortgages and real estate. I had to account for any transaction over $300 (IIRC) that was not normal payroll type stuff, i.e. provide a printout of the SF sale or eBay auction. Dozens of my paypal transactions over the prior 3 months were over the limit. After realizing the troubles this would have caused and somewhat believing my story, my banker pretended that I didn't tell him about my paypal account. I couldn't count it as income, but it wasn't necessary. EDIT: On a side note, I paid taxes on my eBay stuff. I just don't like this information being sent to the IRS. I always get worried that my numbers will be slightly different than theirs, triggering an audit.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Paypal does not care where it comes from as long as they get their cut.

I was talking about homeland security, IRS, FBI and other government agencies, rather than PP

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
laugh.gif
pshaw, them? Son, whats this $500 from Dubai? Payment for a pair of Gazianos, sir. Who are they, some criminal syndicate? You in the mafia, boy? No, no - they are shoes! For $500, son? Come on now. What were you smuggling in the soles? They were channeled! With a beveled waist! Where were the drugs - in the waistband? faceplam
laugh.gif

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
Hey, here's a novel idea; just pay your taxes like you should and then you don't have to worry about PayPal reporting your transactions or the IRS coming after you. Having worked for many years in the public accounting world, I have seen a lot of people try to avoid taxes and scam the system. It just isn't worth it. I pay a lot more in taxes than I would like, but when it comes right down to it, I get a lot of benefits. It irks me when people don't pay their rightfully owed taxes.

hop off your high horse bra!

RangerP

Reaction score
laugh.gif
pshaw, them?

Son, whats this $500 from Dubai?
Payment for a pair of Gazianos, sir.
Who are they, some criminal syndicate? You in the mafia, boy?
No, no - they are shoes!
For $500, son? Come on now. What were you smuggling in the soles?
They were channeled! With a beveled waist!
Where were the drugs - in the waistband?
faceplam
laugh.gif

Hahaha

That is probably how it would go down...

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles

Nice avatar.

Humm Babbby!

Go Giants!

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
laugh.gif
pshaw, them?

No, no - they are shoes!
faceplam
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Good one.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
pshaw, them?

No, no - they are shoes!
faceplam
laugh.gif

Gazianos with channeled stitching and beveled waists are only $500?
wow.gif

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Gazianos with channeled stitching and beveled waists are only $500?
wow.gif

That's just the deposit

M. Charles

Reaction score
I am glad that there is at least one transaction -- the exchange of cash on the street -- where this f*ing government (at least at the moment) can't stick its nose. Billions of taxes are lost every year because large corporations hire fancy lawyers to exploit loopholes for them, among other tricks, and the IRS focuses its time on the small potatoes that is the private individual hawking secondhand items with paypal? Unlike the poster above, I would be *delighted* if human ingenuity is exercised to find a way around this, not because it would make any difference for me, but because it really pisses me off in principle. Correct me if I"m wrong, but the government doesn't tax the 20K one could make simply by opening one's garage door and having a tag sale.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles

1) Go to NMLC, buy 4 things for $200 total
2) Sell three for $70 each, keep 4th item
3) $210 - pp fees - shipping = I lost money and I am a bad businessman.
4) IRS will not audit your closet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads