• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World Cup 2018/2022

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewi
Korea and Japan launched separate bids for 2022, fwiw.

(Your statement read to me like you thought it was a joint bid)

still too soon,although they did do a good job with the last one

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewi
I'd be surprised if 2026 wasn't back in Europe. They seem to do a Europe, other continent, Europe, other continent rotation, or at least they have done since Sweden hosted in 1958.

It should be Sweden 2026 again, then. A good old country with traditions and several football players.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I think for America this should be a wake-up call, not just in the realm of sport. Our bid was riding the coattails of 1994 and our reputation as a dominant figure on the global stage. If we don't wake up and get our asses in gear with what the rest of the world is doing (advancing) we're gonna be the newest third world country in 100 years.

Qatar's bid was ******* GREAT.

If by bid, you mean the renderings of the proposed stadia, then I agree. Those do look like some awesome places to watch a match. I don't know whether they'll be able to overcome the heat, even with massive air conditioning systems for the pitches.

I can sort of understand FIFA wanting to have the World Cup in places where it hasn't been before, and to perhaps use the World Cup as an excuse to further develop a country's infrastructure. I think it was on the BBC broadcast, but someone said that over 1/3 of the world's population is within a 4 hour flight of Qatar, so that's interesting at least. I want to see if they can pull this off.

And fonk the Russians. That one should've gone to England.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
still too soon,although they did do a good job with the last one

I agree. Just making a note, fwiw.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
It should be Sweden 2026 again, then. A good old country with traditions and several football players.

That'd be great. Maybe we could qualify again, hopefully not fall arsebackwards in this time, though. I want to watch us play in a major international tournament in my lifetime, but I don't think it'll happen.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we should send a Styleforvm contingent to the World Cup in Qatar.

No gheys allowed, of course.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
on a side note the next euro is in poland/ukraine...mark my words if poland plays germany somebody will get killed...im polish and the **** i saw there from the fans (hooligans) is unreal.
also how about Lodz beating manchester bahahaha

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
I got the whole shpeel about wanting the game to grow in locations where it isn't..so Russia and Qatar were chosen. Before I even get into why in my opinion those were the wrong locations....why the hell does FIFA feel the need to hold a bidding process if the locations were decided already by some indicators.

FIFA and Sepp Blatter are barely credible as an organization.

I love the sport..but dislike them.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ibleedwhite
I got the whole shpeel about wanting the game to grow in locations where it isn't..so Russia and Qatar were chosen. Before I even get into why in my opinion those were the wrong locations....why the hell does FIFA feel the need to hold a bidding process if the locations were decided already by some indicators.

FIFA and Sepp Blatter are barely credible as an organization.

I love the sport..but dislike them.

no better or worse then the olympics mafia,but i agree with you.
as long as im entertained (and a billion other people) i guess im okay with it

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
Americans care about soccer?

Not really. I dont understand why we are even considered for a world cup. I have a great idea. the countries that love soccer and have a history of soccer and would be delighted to host the world cup should be the ones considered when determining where to hold the world cup - unless the Danes feel the same way. ******* Danes. In many ways they are worse than the Belgians.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Repeat after me -- FIFA is corrupt. Period.

Originally Posted by clockwise
All very encouraging. Russia and Qatar are two fine fine places with fine fine footballing future. England and the USA have hosted the World Cup already and will just have to wait a bit longer, into the 2030s as it now looks. The game plan was to bring football to more countries. Qatar is representative of Middle East / the Arabic world. Russia is the biggest country on earth.

The USSR was -- I am not sure that Russia is larger than Canada.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
it is,just russia itself still bigger,i live in canada by the way.took me 4 days to drive acoss once,so imagine how big russia is,and the USSR...mind boggling

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The comments here are so idiotic I just I have to laugh. First of all, America is made up of many tribes, and each tribe roots for a certain sport. When I was growing up, the Mexicans played soccer, the blacks played basketball, the Puerto Ricans played baseball, the Asians played badminton, and most of the whites played football, while everyone else played dodgeball. It just happened that the majority of Americans favor "American" sports. How many Mexicans show up to watch ice hockey? How many black people watch the America's cup? And now, let's be honest, how many white Americans watch soccer? No one in the US gives a damn about the World Cup...and the ones that do were Europeans pretending to be Americans. Secondly, when does hosting correlates with power projection? The driving force behind these decisions is economic. Nike and Adidas want to create new markets, that means getting Middle Eastern girls to buy soccer cleats and those fat ass Russian millionaires to finally buy a soccer ball to lose weight. Third, the selecting committee is dominated by Europeans, and many of them hate USA out of pure jealousy. This is psychological drama left over from WWII.

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
The comments here are so idiotic I just I have to laugh. First of all, America is made up of many tribes, and each tribe roots for a certain sport. When I was growing up, the Mexicans played soccer, the blacks played basketball, the Puerto Ricans played baseball, the Asians played badminton, and most of the whites played football, while everyone else played dodgeball. It just happened that the majority of Americans favor "American" sports. How many Mexicans show up to watch ice hockey? How many black people watch the America's cup? And now, let's be honest, how many white Americans watch soccer? No one in the US gives a damn about the World Cup...and the ones that do were Europeans pretending to be Americans. Secondly, when does hosting correlates with power projection? The driving force behind these decisions is economic. Nike and Adidas want to create new markets, that means getting Middle Eastern girls to buy soccer cleats and those fat ass Russian millionaires to finally buy a soccer ball to lose weight. Third, the selecting committee is dominated by Europeans, and many of them hate USA out of pure jealousy. This is psychological drama left over from WWII.

That's funny that you mention badminton as the Asian sports fetish (totally true, BTW). Just judging from the NCAA and NFL, I think more than a handful of black kids play football, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads