• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Hallam, Bedford, Connaught or Wildcard?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flipster

In hindsight, I like the Hallam, but would have preferred a more rounded nose, and perhaps a less elongated last.

I tried them on at the store in New York and they were comically pointy. I have a size 9 foot.

capua

Reaction score
I was looking at the C&J lasts thread, and it seems the consensus is that the Hallam on the 348 last is overly pointy. However, I really liked it in the photos, but these are often hard to judge due to the angle. I think the 236 last Bedford is definitely out of the running though, it looks stubby and to old for me. How about the Radstock??

I rather go for the Edgeware or Westbourne, but from what I've read most big city lawyers don't start wearing brogues, pinstripes, french cuffs, etc. until they have practiced for a couple years.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of C&J on the 348 last (+2 more in process), it's my favorite last of all of my shoes. If you like sleek shoes you won't find it offensive. The Hallam was my first, and you can't go wrong. If you don't like it once you see in person (or it turns out to be the wrong size) you can unload it on the b&s for a nominal loss I'm sure.

TheChefs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I have 3 pairs of C&J on the 348 last (+2 more in process), it's my favorite last of all of my shoes. If you like sleek shoes you won't find it offensive. The Hallam was my first, and you can't go wrong. If you don't like it once you see in person (or it turns out to be the wrong size) you can unload it on the b&s for a nominal loss I'm sure.

+2 for Hallam, 348 is great, as for being too pointy, long etc... It's not, you are young so it will look great on you. I prefer sleek looking shoes too. As for going out of style, I don't see it. I got lots of complements on it. I will be getting more 348/358 last shoes.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheChefs
+2 for Hallam, 348 is great, as for being too pointy, long etc... It's not, you are young so it will look great on you. I prefer sleek looking shoes too. As for going out of style, I don't see it. I got lots of complements on it. I will be getting more 348/358 last shoes.

Originally Posted by TC (Houston)

Agreed.

I have the Hallam and the Westbourne. Both 348 last. I wear a 9.5US, so 8.5UK. The 348 is not at all too pointy or long (unless you have something against "sleek" shoes). They are both great. Go for the Hallam as a first buy.

Tano

Reaction score
Do the elongated lasts (348) tend to show crease lines quicker than the more squared toed lasts? Or do all lasts show the same amount of creasing after ~10 wears

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flipster
Have been wearing these in my rotation for a while already:

photo-11.jpg

In hindsight, I like the Hallam, but would have preferred a more rounded nose, and perhaps a less elongated last.

I am still very happy with the Tetbury and Westbourne.

Friends don't let friends go without shoe trees.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should shoe the same amount of creasing. The key is just to make sure the ball of your foot matches up with the ball of the shoe. Otherwise, especially on shoes with more elongated lasts, you're going to get creases in weird places (namely more forward on the vamp, towards the toes)

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be a late reply, since you seem to have already pulled the trigger.

Personally, I would take none of the above options and go for the handgrade Audley. The 337 is a more endearing last IMO.

I know you mentioned about the Handgrades being out of your budget but the difference between Hallam and Audley is about 90 quid. Surely, between now and summer (when you are actually starting work) 90 quid is not too difficult a task to save for.

genericman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Might be a late reply, since you seem to have already pulled the trigger.

Personally, I would take none of the above options and go for the handgrade Audley. The 337 is a more endearing last IMO.

I know you mentioned about the Handgrades being out of your budget but the difference between Hallam and Audley is about 90 quid. Surely, between now and summer (when you are actually starting work) 90 quid is not too difficult a task to save for.

Not to derail the OP, but I thought someone could help me with as I didnt get much response on "ask a question.."

I just picked up a pair C&J Clifford (337) in tan and I'm looking for more affordable version of the Belgrave in black. I'm a 27 y/o student, so I learned it was best to invest in brown and burgundy shoes. I just can't drop another $500 on a pair that I'll just use for occasional interviews, serious event, funeral etc. I found the Connaught to be a bit foddy-doddy and the Hallam to be too elongated. I wear a size 9.5UK and I would prefer an English maker.

Thanks!

Claus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
Bedford..

+1

The 348 looks good if one's feet are short relative to body height, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads